CAn someone help me set up my new Ortofon OM5E?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I'm after a bit of advice on setting up a new Ortofon OM5E stylus. It's mounted on Technics SL1210, factory arm, with the small weight supplied by Technics between the cartridge and the headshell.

I followed the instructions in the Technics manual regarding setting the weight etc, to the letter. I have two problems though:

1. On some records the arm is skipping right across the record.

2. When the stylus is on the record, the bottom of the cartridge is almost touching the vinyl. On some records you can actually hear it bump onto the vinyl.

Both problems are worse when playing vinyl that is thick.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
That sounds as if you have the cartridge tracking WAY too heavy.

The OM5 doesn't normally behave that way - I have one on a spare Dual 505. It may sit a little lower, but no way should the body of the cartridge touch the vinyl.

Did you balance the tonearm before setting the tracking weight? You want to twist the weight anticlockwise until the needle "floats" about 5-10mm above the record, then (while holding the weight steady) turn the black dial so that zero is on the line. Then twist the weight around clockwise until it's showing around 1.75g. Set the anti-skate dial to the same.

Give that a go and see how you get on...

A

Anonymous

Thank, fbsf. I've had another go, reset everything to zero as done as per the instructions (same as you said above), and it's fine now. I'll have to put to it down to cackhandedness on my part!

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts