Bought a Denon 2500BT ............. BUT help please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
BenLaw said:
bigboss said:
But if the item is not as described, then the buyer is protected. This player is certainly not in "immaculate condition" as described by the seller.

This is what eBay says regarding private sellers:

Where the seller is a private individual, the goods must be "as described". The goods are not legally required to be of "satisfactory quality" or "fit for purpose".

I already said that. You're now quoting something which is contrary to your original advice tho: 'the goods are not legally required to be of "satisfactory quality".' As I said before, if something specific is said about the quality, that becomes a term of the contract. But you advised the OP to quote to Sale of Goods Act which, if this is private seller, is bad advice, as it does not apply and will make him look like he doesn't know what he is talking about.

But isn't what I quoted section 13 of Sale of Goods Act?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54/section/13

In my understanding, it still is a part of Sale of Goods Act.

Yes s.13 still applies. It's rather superfluous as naturally any description is going to be a term in the contract. I read the section from eBay as applying more to s.14 but, if we've been talking at cross-purposes, I put it down to the badly set out eBay advice, which jumps from one thing to another and back again. They'd probably be better splitting it into separate business / private seller sections. If I were the OP I still would not mention the Sale of Goods Act, simply say it is not in the condition described.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
BenLaw said:
bigboss said:
We can edit posts as long as it's not been replied to. :)

It was weird - I could see a reply registered on the latest posts page, but it didn't appear on the thread. Them the reply count went back down so I posted my question, which appeared just after your post. Oh well, probably a symptom of the weird forum time lag.

I've seen this issue happen with Firefox. It sometimes takes up to 3 minutes to show the latest posts. That's why I switched to Chrome browser. Which browser are you using?

I've seen the lag before, but I've never seen the reply count go down again, which led to my question! I'm on safari on an iPhone at the moment. Chrome on the pc.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but I don't have a lot of sympathy, you paid £200 for a 4 year old machine, when you could have bought a brand new player for less than that.

As they say there is one born every minute.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Irrespective of whether the OP was seeking sympathy, he probably wasn't hoping for a stream of posts suggesting he'd been foolish.

I can understand the desire to buy a second hand 2500BT, as I did precisely the same last year. I don't regret the purchase at all and absolutely love the machine.

The OP had every reason to believe the player would be fully functional, though as with any second hand purchase, there's always an element of risk involved.

If the machine worked, I doubt he'd be seeking advice and would simply be enjoying the performance. And while I respect BB's observation that there's no difference in Blu-ray performance between the 2500BT and PS3, I'd politely disagree, and I'm far from alone in this regard.

I'm not saying this to be argumentative. Rather, I'm simply expressing my honest opinion having compared the 2500BT with the PS3's Blu-ray performance over a long period of time.

To the OP, check the firmware is up to date and if you've still no joy you should adopt a no nonsense approach to pursuing a refund. Best of luck sorting it all out...

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

Got it sorted the seller is refunding me as it was deemed faulty.

Thanks to everyone who contributed on this thread, Id like to just say im still going to try and obtain a Denon 2500BT, for when it did work the Colours, Depth of picture and detail stood out. As did the clarity of sound.

However im going to see the item working before i part with cash
smiley-wink.gif

On a side note i auditioned the Panasonic Dmp-Bdt500 and whilst good it did not seem to have the same depth of picture as the Denon. Colour was excellent and detail a little less. Motion was so so all my own opinion. So i am now going to get a Cambridge Audio BD651 as well as Denon 2500BT. IS this a good compromise?

Thanks for now

Se7en
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...pXbBA&usg=AFQjCNFSME3Wegm5-qEv90pd7F0kJ5p9dg"

se7en said:
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who contributed on this thread, Id like to just say im still going to try and obtain a Denon 2500BT, for when it did work the Colours, Depth of picture and detail stood out. As did the clarity of sound.

smiley-wink.gif

On a side note i auditioned the Panasonic Dmp-Bdt500 and whilst good it did not seem to have the same depth of picture as the Denon. Colour was excellent and detail a little less. Motion was so so all my own opinion. So i am now going to get a Cambridge Audio BD651 as well as Denon 2500BT. IS this a good compromise?

Thanks for now

Se7en
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...pXbBA&usg=AFQjCNFSME3Wegm5-qEv90pd7F0kJ5p9dg"

Not sure about improved "clarity of sound" as the 2500BT is only a transport & does not decode audio at all. It's your AV receiver doing all the decoding.

Personally, I would recommend looking at Cambridge Audio BD751 or Oppo 95 or Denon 2012 instead. Don't forget that the Denon 2500BT is a 4 year old product with no guarantee that the manufacturer will continue to support it via firmware updates. Blu ray technology is such that firmware updates are necessary to ensure latest discs play on the machine.

Or wait for a couple of months & get the Denon 1713UD, which I believe is a direct successor to 2500BT.

EDIT: It's already available.

michael hoy

bigboss said:
se7en said:
Hi All,

smiley-wink.gif

Thanks for now

Se7en

Not sure about improved "clarity of sound" as the 2500BT is only a transport & does not decode audio at all. It's your AV receiver doing all the decoding.

Personally, I would recommend looking at Cambridge Audio BD751 or Oppo 95 or Denon 2012 instead. Don't forget that the Denon 2500BT is a 4 year old product with no guarantee that the manufacturer will continue to support it via firmware updates. Blu ray technology is such that firmware updates are necessary to ensure latest discs play on the machine.

Or wait for a couple of months & get the Denon 1713UD, which I believe is a direct successor to 2500BT.

I would have thought the DBT-3313UD would be the replacement for the 2500BT - Due sometime October.

The 1713UD is available £499.00.

michael hoy said:
bigboss said:
se7en said:
Hi All,

smiley-wink.gif

Thanks for now

Se7en

I would have thought the DBT-3313UD would be the replacement for the 2500BT - Due sometime October.

But that's not a transport. I don't think we should compare with regards to the price of the player. Like TVs, even blu ray players have fallen in price. Premium TVs like the 50VT50 are available for less than £1800 today. During the time when Denon 2500BT was released, you would be paying in excess of £3000 for it.

Yes, the 1713UD is available for £449.

michael hoy

bigboss said:
michael hoy said:
bigboss said:
se7en said:
Hi All,

smiley-wink.gif

Thanks for now

Se7en

But that's not a transport. I don't think we should compare with regards to the price of the player. Like TVs, even blu ray players have fallen in price. Premium TVs like the 50VT50 are available for less than £1800 today. During the time when Denon 2500BT was released, you would be paying in excess of £3000 for it.

Yes, the 1713UD is available for £449.

From my understanding the DBT-3313UD is a transport (DBT- Denonon Blu Ray Transport) as in DBT-1713UD.

Aah, ok. It wasn't clear in the description here (although now I can see the word "bitstream":

http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/denon/1220/dbt3313ud/dbt-3313ud.asp

What you've said makes sense now.

I'm surprised at the paucity of details on this player on google search.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts