Bought a Denon 2500BT ............. BUT help please

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

I recently bought a Denon 2500BT off of Ebay, in apparently immaculate condition, however upon reciept via TNT. And letting palyer warm up out of transit. It has loaded two blu ray discs with a struggle. The other twenty five i have tried say disc error or just stop.

Ive tried to sort it with seller but seller sates it was in perfect working order and does not want or refund broken denon 2500BT back....thoughts please.

Open a dispute with paypal as "item not as described / faulty". Before that, make sure you update the firmware & check again. But this appears to be a problem with the player itself.

Personally, I'm never in favour of buying used blu ray players. How much did you pay for it?

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Nads , Simonlewis and bigboss,

Yes i have tried a firmware update hasnt worked, thing is it can play dvds and cds, and it has loaded up thor once and iron man. But flip a coin or stop open tray try again then they wont.

I paid just over £200 for it big boss i have opened a case on ebay but seller is sayin it worked perfectly for them. And beacause it loaded up disc twice the seller states "I am sorry that after a time of perfect operation that it will not function correctly, and I have attempted to suggest possible reasons for it, but as it had no faults previously I am at a loss."

What do you mean by "the first two blu ray discs loaded up with a struggle"? I would just maintain that the player does not work as described, & not create confuson by saying that the first 2 discs worked. Are all the blu ray discs brand new? Open a dispute with paypal as well, assuming you paid via paypal.

I fail to understand why you paid £200 for a 4-year old used player when you can buy a brilliant brand new player for the money & save yourself of all this hassle.

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi bigboss,

It took an age to load the discs but i know that this denon does this, however it was very much fingers crossed hoping they would load with out disc error or stopping.

I know im kicking myself now believe me, I just wanted a high end blu ray player with great sound and picture, possibly looking at marantz 7006 or cambridge audio 751.

Could you name any others?

Check this: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/rights.html

The Sale of Goods Act applies to both new and used items. It's worth bearing in mind that second-hand goods are likely to be judged less rigorously new goods. For example, it's not reasonable to expect that used goods will be of the same quality as new goods. In any event, sellers of second hand goods remain under an obligation to ensure that the goods are as described.

First of all, Denon 2500BT is only a transport. It does not decode audio. So "great sound" is irrelevant here. Secondly, I did not find any difference in blu ray picture quality when I demoed the Denon 2500BT, PS3 & Panasonic BD60. There was a difference in DVD upscaling though.

What's the rest of your system like?

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi bigboss,

Cheers for that link i think ill be copy and pasting a bit off that in the resolution centre.

My system is Samsung 46 tv lcd C750 calibrated, Yamaha rx v671 with quad q7000's surround speakers and Audioquest forest HDMI's

To be honest, you don't really have to spend a lot on a blu ray player. I would strongly recommend you to demo the players in question forst. Your home cinema system is very good, but I don't think it will be able to bring out the subtle differences in sonic performance between the likes of Denon 2012UD, Marantz 7006 & Oppo 95.

Look at Panasonic DMP-BDT320 or DMP-BDT500 or Pioneer LX55 which is closer to your budget (especially the first one). You won't be disappointed by it.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
BenLaw said:
If this was a private seller the Sale of Goods Act does not provide any implied term as to satisfactory quality.

If the seller has described the player as "immaculate condition", then the quality is clearly unsatisfactory.

But that's nothing to do with the Sale of Goods Act, if it was a private seller. It's simply a term of the contract that the player is in 'immaculate condition' if that is how it's described. If it in fact is not in such condition it is a breach of contract. However, now the seller has been given some ammunition to argue that any fault developed after the player had been delivered, it is going to be difficult to get them to accept any breach.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Even if it's a private seller, Sale of Goods Act applies, as stated in the link.

No, your link says this:

"The Act provides that wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means that items sold through eBay by business sellers must be:
of "satisfactory quality";"as described"; and"fit for purpose"."[/list]This accords with section 14(1)-(2) of the Sale of Goods Act: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54(Always go to the source material if in doubt, not someone else's interpretation of it.)

But if the item is not as described, then the buyer is protected. This player is certainly not in "immaculate condition" as described by the seller.

This is what eBay says regarding private sellers:

Where the seller is a private individual, the goods must be "as described". The goods are not legally required to be of "satisfactory quality" or "fit for purpose".

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
But if the item is not as described, then the buyer is protected. This player is certainly not in "immaculate condition" as described by the seller.

Where the seller is a private individual, the goods must be "as described". The goods are not legally required to be of "satisfactory quality" or "fit for purpose".

I already said that. You're now quoting something which is contrary to your original advice tho: 'the goods are not legally required to be of "satisfactory quality".' As I said before, if something specific is said about the quality, that becomes a term of the contract. But you advised the OP to quote to Sale of Goods Act which, if this is private seller, is bad advice, as it does not apply and will make him look like he doesn't know what he is talking about.

BenLaw said:
bigboss said:

I already said that. You're now quoting something which is contrary to your original advice tho: 'the goods are not legally required to be of "satisfactory quality".' As I said before, if something specific is said about the quality, that becomes a term of the contract. But you advised the OP to quote to Sale of Goods Act which, if this is private seller, is bad advice, as it does not apply and will make him look like he doesn't know what he is talking about.

But isn't what I quoted section 13 of Sale of Goods Act?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54/section/13

In my understanding, it still is a part of Sale of Goods Act.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
We can edit posts as long as it's not been replied to. :)

It was weird - I could see a reply registered on the latest posts page, but it didn't appear on the thread. Them the reply count went back down so I posted my question, which appeared just after your post. Oh well, probably a symptom of the weird forum time lag.

BenLaw said:
bigboss said:
We can edit posts as long as it's not been replied to. :)

It was weird - I could see a reply registered on the latest posts page, but it didn't appear on the thread. Them the reply count went back down so I posted my question, which appeared just after your post. Oh well, probably a symptom of the weird forum time lag.

I've seen this issue happen with Firefox. It sometimes takes up to 3 minutes to show the latest posts. That's why I switched to Chrome browser. Which browser are you using?

TRENDING THREADS