Bose Quiet Comfort 15

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I work in the Middle East where the availability of most "high-end" AV equipment is well limited shall we say. Current equipment is as below in the Work section.

For a while I've been thinking of getting a headphone based bedroom system using an Apple Airport Express to stream (from my PC in the study) Lossless, Spotify and Napster.

As I said I usually have to rely on mail order so can't get much if anything in the way of a demo. As I travel a lot I was interested to read the 5* review of the Bose Quiet Comfort 15's which I can get here. I had been thinking of something like AKG K701 DAC/Head amp all of which I'd have to buy mail order.

So heres's the question has anyone experience of how the Bose would compare to the K701's ? Obviously the Bose would be useful as I travel a lot but how much would I miss out on in "Hi-Fi terms" compared to the K701's ?

Initially I'd just plug the Bose directly into the AE whilst I make my mind up about the DAC/Head-amp

idc

Sound wise the Bose and AKG are very different, as headphones go. The AKGs have a far bigger sound stage, sound leaner, have clearer details and are more neutral. So they are closer to the sound of the original recording. A quick back to back test with the Bose and I suspect many would go for the Bose. They sound more dynamic, have an bigger bass emphasis and s fuller sound. But the Bose are less hifi. They add their own dynamics to the sound and I find that they have an odd lumpy frequency response. They emphasis the bass, the mid mid range and the lower treble. The AKGs frequency response is more equal from mid bass to mid treble. So the AKGs are more realistic, the Bose are more exciting. That is why I think AKG K701/2 headphones are a marmite brand. (Bose are jsut not liked, unfairly by many audiophiles).

When you say the DAC/headamp do you mean the Headamp Pico? I have not heard it but it looks an ideal portable amp. On which matter the Bose would be much better for travel then the massive and major sound leaking AKGs.

So IMHO you do get less hifi with Bose, but that is not to say the sound of the Bose is bad, just different.

A

Anonymous

Thanks idc wasn't specifically thinking of the HeadAmp pico but I am aware of it so will put it on my list. Your views on the Bose sort of bring me round to thinking that as compromise solution to cover both travel and use at home they're a pretty good compromise.

idc

I had a listen to the Bose in the Apple Shop after What Hifi gave them 5 stars and I can see why they get 5 stars. They are a really good set of headphones.

For portable amps have a look at iBasso, the Graham Slee Voyager, RSA and Headroom. You will find plenty of reviews online to get a flavour of their respective strengths and weaknesses.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again idc I've got my eye on an iBasso D10 which might suit my needs as it has an optical input as well as a USB. So that would suit my needs in terms of feeding it from an AE when I'm at home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts