Bookshelf for Naim Nait 5i

CacáBr

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey, people, need some advice!

I intend to buy the perfect speakers :rockout: for Naim Nait 5i (just to be specific: I really mean the 5i not 5i).

:grin: I value above all: speed, good timing and agility, good dynamics, a bit of a warm bias, and enough detail ability as to, at least, show som of the recording ambience.

|( Can't stand brightness, foward character, aggressive character and loose bass.

:star: Can cope with: not the last word in imaging, sondstaging and very deep bass.

I'm considering:

1) Spendor S3/5R²

2) Monitor Audio Rx1

3) JAMO Concert C 603

4) Rega RS3 (an exception, as it's a floorstander)

What do you recommend? Can you suggest something else?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Hi CacaBr

If you're not after constant discoo like listening levels then i'll think that you should also consider ATC's SCM11 monitors, Proac's Tablette Anniversary and Dynaudio's Excite X12 speakers. I find that Naim amplification pairs well with these speakers.

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/scm11.php

http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/html_files/Speakers.php?Range=Tablette&Speaker=TabletteAnniversary

http://www.dynaudio.com/int/home_loudspeaker_systems/excite/excite_x12.php

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CacáBr said:
Hey, Plastic Penguin, thanks!

I'll be place them on stands.

I consider up to, say, £700, perhaps a bit more.

Thanks for clarifying.

PMCs DB1is are sensational little boxes. Also look at Dynaudio 2/6. I've heard their bigger siblings, Contour S1.4 with the Nait XS and are fabulous. Likewise, Neat Motive 3, Epos M12i.

I would say that Spendor are a little dark sounding, certainly if they mirror the more expensive SA-1. Great if you like that presentation but I prefer something with a little more snap to the sound.

Hope that's helped...

CacáBr

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Plastic Penguin and Derby,

The ATC and Proac are nearly impossibly to find here in Brazil, but the Dyns are an option, although they cost a an arm and a leg in this country. Which means the Contours are out of the question. The Excites X12 are not unthinkable.

However, I fear I might not like them, because some people say they can be boring (even thoug I can't grasp what kind of boredom they are talking about).

Once It's very difficult to audition them here, I've always hesitated to buy them. Do they tend to be slow or shut in? Or, else, it's these people who are too addicted to unnatural exciting speakers, like I consider B&W to be?

Thanks for the words on the Spendors. No, I don't like dark sounding speakers, and polite ones, either, but can't stand fatiguing ones too, neither those foward ones, that throw the sound at your face to create "excitement". So, If the Spendors are too polite, they probably are not for me.

As a matter of fact, I'm a little inclined to the MA Rx1, considering the reviews I've been reading, including the WHF one. Those boxes are incredibly beautiful things, by the way. So, what do you think about the mariage with the Nait 5i? Should I consider also the RX2?

Thanks again!!

CacáBr said:
As a matter of fact, I'm a little inclined to the MA Rx1, considering the reviews I've been reading, including the WHF one. Those boxes are incredibly beautiful things, by the way. So, what do you think about the mariage with the Nait 5i? Should I consider also the RX2?

Thanks again!!

Although not heard the RX1s, I have listened to my RS6s and GS10 with Naim. The MAs are rather proned to fatiguing the listener, due to their metal dome tweeter. It is claimed the new RX range are more forgiving, by all means try and decide for yourself, but there will be better match for the Naim.

As I mentioned Dyns 2/6, PMC, Neat or Epos would be my first port of call.

CacáBr

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey, guys, never mind my questioning on the marriage NaimNait 5i and MA rx-1. Just read some posts where people say Naim + MA definitely don't match ... too hard on the ears ... exactly what I'm avoiding. Check out:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/naim-monitor-audio-rx2?page=1

It's got to be silk tweeters ... now I get it!!! :dance:

I once had B&W 685s ... the same mismatch ... almost went deaf!! :doh: Sold them already.

Thanks!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CacáBr said:

Thanks again!!

Although not heard the RX1s, I have listened to my RS6s and GS10 with Naim. The MAs are rather proned to fatiguing the listener, due to their metal dome tweeter. It is claimed the new RX range are more forgiving, by all means try and decide for yourself, but there will be better match for the Naim.

As I mentioned Dyns 2/6, PMC, Neat or Epos would be my first port of call.
Agree with PP about the Dynaudio 2/6s, great speakers...does everything you have listed...although I cant comment on the Naim pairing. The Monitor Audios really are better off with warmer pairings than Naim but you might be able to overcome the brightness with interconnects and speaker cables....they are great speakers for the money.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
CacáBr said:
Thanks Plastic Penguin and Derby,

The ATC and Proac are nearly impossibly to find here in Brazil, but the Dyns are an option, although they cost a an arm and a leg in this country. Which means the Contours are out of the question. The Excites X12 are not unthinkable.

However, I fear I might not like them, because some people say they can be boring (even thoug I can't grasp what kind of boredom they are talking about).

Once It's very difficult to audition them here, I've always hesitated to buy them. Do they tend to be slow or shut in? Or, else, it's these people who are too addicted to unnatural exciting speakers, like I consider B&W to be?

Thanks for the words on the Spendors. No, I don't like dark sounding speakers, and polite ones, either, but can't stand fatiguing ones too, neither those foward ones, that throw the sound at your face to create "excitement". So, If the Spendors are too polite, they probably are not for me.

Thanks again!!
Ive heard the Dynaudios with very warm tube amps from Cayin, mind you they never sound boring....they sound like completely different beasts when music demand it with huge bite. I love them to bits, absolutely would have switched my Mezzos for them if I had a smaller room.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
From someone who had the same problem with the B&W 685's and moved to the Dyns X-12, all I can say is I love my little speakers! They are good fun with all types of music and I can listen hours on end with no listening fatigue. Detailed and not boring. Highly recommended. The only time I might feel the trebel sounds a bit recessed is if its a poor recording. The burson audio buffer makes bass even tighter with more depth and opens up the top end even more. I have them run by the excellent Leema Pulse which also show all the traits you put in your "I value", I have never heard Naim so I do not know how the sounds compare. I have recently added the B&W PV1d which seems to fit in seamlessly (I have only plugged it in have not even played with the settings yet!) its fast, tight, no boominess and fills in the bottom end for music perfectly. As long as I don't go overboard and try to create club level volumes I really do love my system. :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Editions. (Hold out for a mint pair on ebay. They still won't be expensive. Give them about a foot from the wall and at least 18 inches from corners and toe-in a bit.)*

Naim n-Sats. (Close to wall as cables allow but a couple of feet from corners, if your room permits.)

Rega RS1s or RS3s. (RS1s happy close to wall as well. RS3s even more flexible.)

Neat Iotas.

Harbeth P3ESRs if you can save up more and can give them space. (Not heard or owned them - I wish - but read of a number of members here who love Harbeth + Naim.)

The original Quad 11Ls (not '2' or 'Classic') The early ones had Quad 77-11L on the back.

PMC DB1is. Heard these extensively with Nait 5i, Nait XS and NaimUniti on different occasions. Superb.

*Note to the suspicious. I am not selling my own mint/boxed pair so that isn't an advert :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CacáBr said:
Hey, people, need some advice!

I intend to buy the perfect speakers :rockout: for Naim Nait 5i (just to be specific: I really mean the 5i not 5i).

:grin: I value above all: speed, good timing and agility, good dynamics, a bit of a warm bias, and enough detail ability as to, at least, show som of the recording ambience.

|( Can't stand brightness, foward character, aggressive character and loose bass.

:star: Can cope with: not the last word in imaging, sondstaging and very deep bass.

I'm considering:

1) Spendor S3/5R²

2) Monitor Audio Rx1

3) JAMO Concert C 603

4) Rega RS3 (an exception, as it's a floorstander)

What do you recommend? Can you suggest something else?

Thanks in advance!! :)

I haven't had time to read through the thread, but in addition to what you're looking at (the Spendor and Rega speakers are worth seeking out), I'd add the PMC DB1i and the KEF R100 or R300. All three work really well with Naim, and are not harsh or bright. Although, of those mentioned (I'm not familiar with the Jamos), the Rega and PMC do have a slightly lively tendency, which some people may interpret as bright, but they're not offensive bright.

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
CacáBr said:
Hey, guys, never mind my questioning on the marriage NaimNait 5i and MA rx-1. Just read some posts where people say Naim + MA definitely don't match ... too hard on the ears ... exactly what I'm avoiding. Check out:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/naim-monitor-audio-rx2?page=1

It's got to be silk tweeters ... now I get it!!! :dance:

I once had B&W 685s ... the same mismatch ... almost went deaf!! :doh: Sold them already.

Thanks!

Hi,

Hmmn, seems I maybe in the minority (of one) then but I love the sound of the MA RX6 and my Naim amps. I can listen to it for long periods and it doesn't sound fatiguing at all. Neither would I call the sound excessively bright. Certainly not a warm sound but as far as I am concerned, feed it a good recording and imho it can sound fantastic. With cd or vinyl I definitely wouldn't describe the sound as harsh.

It just shows that this whole thing is down to personal preference. if you get chance, dem the Naim with the RX's and decide for yourself, you may be surprised.

Cheers

Steve

A

Anonymous

Take the Kef Q300 into consideration. I auditioned it with the Naim 5i, it sounded amazing. IMHO best of all amps I've heard, it was also the most expensive one. It fully allows the Q300's to show what they can do. Amazing speaker, probably one of 2-3 best bookshelfs up too 1k.

CacáBr

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Stevieg330!

In fact, giving a second thougth on the subject, I must realize I was being narrow minded when excluding metal domes from my choice of speakers ... just because they're metal domes :poke:After all, my experience with the B&W 685 cannot condemn all the metal dome tweeters as the perpetrators of all the agressiveness and fatigue I flee from!

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers :cheers:

A

Anonymous

I think you may like the Focus 110. I do, with one or 2 caveats. I have them on a bookshelf (to stop little fingers poking the drive units) and at low to medium volumes they sound fab. However, things get a bit messy when cranked up - not especially the fault of the amp or speakers, merely that they need to be on stands and in free space under these conditions. I get around this by using Pure music software and tweak the graphic equalizer to adjust the frequency response. If you want things loud then the Dyns need more power than a 5i can give to be honest. Within their limits though, it's a nice combo. They are a little beyond your budget, but I got mine for £550 2nd hand, so this may be an option to consider.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts