Cambridge Audio 840a V2 / Naim Nait 5i / Rotel RA-1520

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey Everyone.

Here's the deal. I've been building a pair of Statement Monitors (http://www.geocities.com/cc00541/Statements_Monitor.html) and I'm in the process of choosing an amplifier to complement them. Although I've done a lot of research online, I haven't been able to find the facts I need to decide between the Naim Nait 5i, Cambridge Audio 840a, and the Rotel RA-1520. My maximum budget for an amplifier is around $1100, and I think I can get all of these around that price. While shopping for an amplifier, here are my priorities:

1. Soundstage and three dimensionality

2. Articulation

3. Bass

4. Finess

Recently, I've auditioned the Naim Nait 5i, and the Cambridge 840a. From my listening, which were done at a local HiFi store in Chicago, I felt that the Naim didn't have enough of a soundstage, but sounded really great due to it's accurate timing. The Cambridge 840a gave a vast stage that made me think that inactive speakers were actually outputting sound! The 840a also gave great depth, and I enjoyed the other features that were available. Ideas?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
It would be hard to beat the Cambridge Audio in terms of your priorities, but there are certainly other options.

As french amplifiers are usually very lively and excel in palpability, YBA YA201 should be worth a listen.

Odyssey Cyclops also seems like an interesting product without being overpriced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts