Cd player to go with Naim Nait 5i

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Basically, I have 4 options I'm looking into:

Option 1: S/h Arcam FMJ CD33 - could upgrade later by having a go @ installing an Audiocom mod (or just sending one in without the associated hassle) to reduce some of the lean-ness to the bass some ppl seem to criticise

Option 2: Naim CD5i - obviously has great synergy with the Nait 5i and I imagine accentuates the Nait 5i's positive characterists, but perhaps doesn't resolve as much detail as the CD33, or soundstage quite as well. Probably considered more exciting though.

Option 3: Naim CD5 with flatcap. This is very tempting, since I've heard from some people the Naim CD5 with the flatcap installed is superior to the CD5i - a generally clearer sound and more natural sound whilst with the flatcap still retaining naim's virtues of Pace Rythm and timing.

Option 4: Look higher up the Naim ladder and get the Naim CD5x, and hope the cost of it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the music - Certainly I wouldn't have any 'what if' worries since this is really the maximum I could afford for a source (and then some) ! I don't know with this option, if to gain most of the purported sonic advantages the CD5x can bring over it's cheaper brother, whether I'd need the more powerful and focused Nait XS, - let me know what you think! There seem to be mixed reactions from different people, but the general concensus seems to be that this is quite a step up from the Cd5i.

In terms of saving on the original RRP, I could easily net the biggest saving on an ex demo or second hand FMJ Cd33, although obviously this is a discontinued model and if it were sold new now it would be for substantially less witth the FMJ CD36 and CD37 superseding it. Are the latter really much better? My inkling is that on a sound per pound basis they probably aren't, but let me know if you think differently!

A

Anonymous

As an overall, I'd say probably the 5i.....

The 5x is definitely aÿnotableÿstep up, but for me it should only really be considered in conjunction with a Flatcap 2, which really takes the player to another level again, and rounds off some of the slight harshness that 'could' be found on the bare 5x. However, this is going to be blowing your budget and there would also be as slight danger in you creating a top heavy system with the Nait 5i - although to an extent the source should always be priority - the 5i may suddenly be the bottle neck leaving the 5xÿunder performing.

If you had the XS (which I haven't heard yet) or better yet the 122/150, then it would be an easy choice...

Stronglyÿrecommendÿa long demo, with your exact kit, and see if the difference to your ears is worth the difference in your wallet. Try the 5x with and without the flatcap - if you like the bare 5x enough, over the 5i, then it would also give you a future upgrade path into the future - then you are truly into Naim's grip..!ÿ

I couldn't possibly comment on anything Arcam.ÿ

A

Anonymous

I strongly recommend a Naim CD Player with the Nait5i. I own the Nait5i/CD5x. The 5i is also a very nice CD player. Arcam and Naim really don't work well together. If you didn't want to get a Naim CD player, a Rega also works well with Naim amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts