Blueray Sony BDP-S760

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

am getting the 760 this weekend and am torn as whether to use the analogues to my old denon 1906 via the 760 on board decoding or if now is the time to purchase a new 1910 and use hdmi. have any of you new 760 owners using analogue connections and how is the sound working out for you ?

A

Anonymous

Hi

I got mine from Richer Sounds on Monday for £310 with a price match when PRC had stock. Also Richer sounds advertised in this months' What Hi Fi at £349 and will honour that as well.

I have tried the Oppo 83, Pioneer LX91, Marantz 8002, Denon A1UD at different times and had the Pioneer as best for picture and Marantz as best for sound. All using HDMI. I didn't try analogue out on any It was an easy pick but none of them were good at both sound and vision although the Denon A1UD is probably the best compromise where money is not a problem. Best left to bankers that one!!

I spent yesterday playing the Sony S760 versus the Marantz 8002 and the Sony's picture is miles better for Blue Ray and DVD. The Sony's sound is good (better than Oppo and about as good as the Pioneer LX91 but different characteristics to both) but it is not as good a sound as the Marantz 8002 for CD's, Blue Ray or DVD which is very good and goes very deep. Considering the large price difference it is good value though. I would describe its sound as light, airy with good base but missing the deep timbre that a good CD or DVD player can deliver. I can live with it for the occasional CD (its not a Meridian which I have previously used before streaming) and the sound while a little bright is clear and musical. Amazing value for the price and having heard them all through either Arcam AV888's or Denon AVP A1HD's its a great compromise if you don't want to spend several thousand on a Blue Ray. I'm sticking with it for Blue ray and DVD until someone releases a better sounding one that can stream Blue Ray as well which is where I am heading for. Hopefully only a year or so away but who knows on that one!

A

Anonymous

Could't disagree with you more- the Sony isn't in the same league as the other players you mention.......especially in regard to build quality. Sony = Plastic, Rest = Metal. It is afterall a tarted up 550.

The Pioneer is a 2000 pound machine, the sony is not even close in video and audio. The 5000es is the only sony player deserving of comparisons with these players. I personally auditioned Oppo and this one........Oppo smashed in every area- none more glaring than analogue performance.

This is no giant killer- just people trying to justify why they bought this player and not a true high end player.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
(This is no giant killer- just people trying to justify why they bought this player and not a true high end player)

or trying to justify why thay bought the oppo and not a cheaper better looking sony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts