Blue Ray or D.V.D. Player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am thinking of buying either a Sony BDP-S360 Blue Ray Player or maybe a Toshiba XDE-500 D.V.D, Player? Which will offer me the best picture for D.V.D ? or any other alternatives that you can come up with .many Thanks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Do you have an HDTV, or are you likely to get one at some point? If so, it makes sense to go for the Blu-Ray player. You can then gradually get new films on Blu-Ray or even just hire some from Lovefilm if you're not happy about paying the extra for them. You'd then be taking better advantage of your TV's capabilities.

If you don't have or are not planning on an HDTV, it probably makes sense to go with the cheaper Toshiba since you won't get any advantage from the Sony.

A

Anonymous

Blu-ray will offer the absolute best high definition signal for picture and sound.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that,I do have a HDTV so what you saying is that I would be better off going for the Sony even to play D.V.D's on ?

Yes, it's better to go for a blu-ray player even for DVDs.

Simple reasons for that:

1) A blu-ray player will give the same, if not better, picture quality than a DVD player. All blu-ray players can upscale DVDs to your TV resolution. Some of the older DVD players cannot (although your TV can upscale them).

2) The price of blu-ray discs are coming down rapidly. So, in the near future, you will find yourself buying more blu-ray discs because the picture & audio quality is so much better.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I agree the blu-ray player is the right step forward, but i choose the the Toshiba XDE-500 at £59.00 multi region and its brill value and quality, although i am comparing it to my PS3. At the moment i use that for Blu-rays and dvd player for all my older Region 1's and Rarer films.works well as i can use blu-ray with family and just theTosh late at night, but now i am considering upgrading to a decent blu-ray early next year, and moving the tosh to the bedroom.My advice would be to go for the Sony and try Blockbusters i did see an advert for £149.99 with four free films, i think you can also make it multi region for dvds.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that.John Lewis after doing a price match with Richer Sounds will sell the Sony Blue Ray for £135.00 with Three Blue Ray discs thrown in as well. All I need now is a HDMI lead, and I beleive the thatcable.com are selling them for £4.79 for a metre cable,does anyone know the quality of these and what others should I consider? Many Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS