Blu-tac under speakers on stands yes/no

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shadders

muljao said:
shadders said:
muljao said:
shadders said:
Gaz37 said:
It is crucial to buy the blu tac from the most expensive retailer, it is another scientifically proven fact that you get what you pay for in the hifi world.

It's also worth remembering that blu tac is directional, using it upside down will have detrimental effects on your 3D sounstaging and transparency.
Hi,

I use bogeys. They are are in good supply, and provide a better sounstage, although vocals can sound quite nasal.

They have the added benefit of being biodegradable, so kinder to the environment.

They are though, difficult to position when flicking them from my settee onto the speaker stands, 3 metres away.

Regards,

Shadders.

Lovely
Hi,

Just to make sure, it was a joke.

Regards,

Shadders.

Lovely....funny :)
Hi,

Yes, Thanks. Many times I have said, totally the wrong thing on purpose, expecting everyone to know it is humour, and then proceed to get a lecture or explanation on why it was wrong.

I dunno.

Regards,

Shadders.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
shadders said:
muljao said:
shadders said:
muljao said:
shadders said:
Gaz37 said:
It is crucial to buy the blu tac from the most expensive retailer, it is another scientifically proven fact that you get what you pay for in the hifi world.

It's also worth remembering that blu tac is directional, using it upside down will have detrimental effects on your 3D sounstaging and transparency.
Hi,

I use bogeys. They are are in good supply, and provide a better sounstage, although vocals can sound quite nasal.

They have the added benefit of being biodegradable, so kinder to the environment.

They are though, difficult to position when flicking them from my settee onto the speaker stands, 3 metres away.

Regards,

Shadders.

Lovely
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Yes, Thanks. Many times I have said, totally the wrong thing on purpose, expecting everyone to know it is humour, and then proceed to get a lecture or explanation on why it was wrong.

I dunno.

Regards,

Shadders.

I knew it was humour, though stuff often gets taken up wrong when written. Thats why its always a bad idea to have an arguement with your better half by text, and I'm not being hunerous now ;)

shadders

muljao said:
shadders said:
muljao said:
shadders said:
muljao said:
shadders said:
Gaz37 said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Lovely
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

I dunno.

Regards,

Shadders.

I knew it was humour, though stuff often gets taken up wrong when written. Thats why its always a bad idea to have an arguement with your better half by text, and I'm not being hunerous now ;)
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. May be handy for later. Possibly.

Regards,

Shadders.

insider9

shadders said:
Gaz37 said:

Hi,

They have the added benefit of being biodegradable,  so kinder to the environment.

Regards,

Shadders.

I only came back to this thread for some veg recommendation but that made me laugh :) however disturbing the image ;)

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
That bogeys are the answer, whilst I accept they may give a more organic sound when fresh but double blind tests have shown that,when dried out, bogeys can cause harsh treble.
I am told however that Russ Andrews sells an audiophile bogey moistening fluid at a very reasonable £399 for a 50cl vial, the naysayers and ludites claim it is nothing more than tap water but I heard an improvement in SQ and so did my wife.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the EB2s sat on top of 16" Apollo stands with BluTac for the two years I owned them, and when I came to sell them, the BluTac had set so strong that when you lifted the speakers it lifted the stands too. Proper rock solid. After a lot of twisting and pulling, the BluTac literally tore the paint off the stands' top plates, thankfully leaving the speakers' bases undamaged.

shadders

Gaz37 said:
That bogeys are the answer, whilst I accept they may give a more organic sound when fresh but double blind tests have shown that,when dried out, bogeys can cause harsh treble. I am told however that Russ Andrews sells an audiophile bogey moistening fluid at a very reasonable £399 for a 50cl vial, the naysayers and ludites claim it is nothing more than tap water but I heard an improvement in SQ and so did my wife.
Hi,

I have seen it, the moisturiser, still half the price of the snake oil they sell for the same volume, which is not good for cooking.

Which does raise the question, since snakes have flesh, there must be some fat somewhere, so can you actually derive snake oil.....

Regards,

Shadders.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Got my current speakers sat on a pair of these (borrowed from my dad who wasn't using them) seeing my Apollo stands were too short. But despite the WHF 4* I don't really like the sound of them. After Xmas I'll be in the market for some 24" / 60cm metal stands, but after my last experience with the BluTac I think I'll be giving it a miss and use something like these instead.

insider9

MajorFubar said:
Got my current speakers sat on a pair of these (borrowed from my dad who wasn't using them) seeing my Apollo stands were too short. But despite the WHF 4* I don't really like the sound of them. After Xmas I'll be in the market for some 24" / 60cm metal stands, but after my last experience with the BluTac I think I'll be giving it a miss and use something like these instead. 
If I may suggest Atacama SE24 I'm using. Exactly the height you require. Not the prettiest but really solid can be filled and go for as little as £12 on ebay.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
thumbs_up.gif

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
...... but after my last experience with the BluTac I think I'll be giving it a miss and use something like these instead.

The pads you mention, MF, came with my speakerstands and they work fine. But sometimes I wonder if the sound gets better when the stands are filled with sand or something else and I use blu-tac.

Make the speakers one with the stands or isolate them from the stands with the rubber hemisphere, I wonder......

MajorFubar said:
I had the EB2s sat on top of 16" Apollo stands with BluTac for the two years I owned them, and when I came to sell them, the BluTac had set so strong that when you lifted the speakers it lifted the stands too. Proper rock solid. After a lot of twisting and pulling, the BluTac literally tore the paint off the stands' top plates, thankfully leaving the speakers' bases undamaged.

I, for one, am very happy to hear speakers were undamaged ;-)

Reijer said:
MajorFubar said:
...... but after my last experience with the BluTac I think I'll be giving it a miss and use something like these instead.

The pads you mention, MF, came with my speakerstands and they work fine. But sometimes I wonder if the sound gets better when the stands are filled with sand or something else and I use blu-tac.

Make the speakers one with the stands or isolate them from the stands with the rubber hemisphere, I wonder......

Try both, it is after all an experimentation game.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
shadders said:
Gaz37 said:
That bogeys are the answer, whilst I accept they may give a more organic sound when fresh but double blind tests have shown that,when dried out, bogeys can cause harsh treble. I am told however that Russ Andrews sells an audiophile bogey moistening fluid at a very reasonable £399 for a 50cl vial, the naysayers and ludites claim it is nothing more than tap water but I heard an improvement in SQ and so did my wife.
Hi,

I have seen it, the moisturiser,  still half the price of the snake oil they sell for the same volume, which is not good for cooking.

Which does raise the question, since snakes have flesh, there must be some fat somewhere, so can you actually derive snake oil.....

Regards,

Shadders.

Indeed, snake oil can be used to prevent foam drivers from drying out.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

I used to shear through the Blu-Tack with a palette knife or a thin plastic rule.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Reijer said:

Probably varies. The EB2s sounded great BluTac'd to the Apollo 16" stands, or resting direct on top, but placing my current speakers onto my borrowed solid oak stands did the bass no favours at all and has only improved slightly by resting them on sticky pads I bought from Homebase.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Will it makes any difference when I fill the stands with lead balls and let the speakers stand on the rubber hemispheres? Or do I have to blu-tac the speakers to the stands to benefit the filed stands?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

The trick is to wait until a very hot day (or turn the central heating up) as this softens the blutac. Then DO NOT pull the speakers straight up. It's better the weaken the blutac first by gently twisting the speaker in each direction a horizontal rotational manner for about a minute. Then once the blutac is weakened you can pull them off quite easily.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts