blu ray plays hd discs

A

Anonymous

Cos it is a different technology, and where rival technologies, one meant to take over the other.

audioidiot1

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
i understand that but as everyone knows technology has moved on and there are people out there with hd players and when they break there is nothing for the hd discs to be played on.so bang goes your collection of hd.

i know its different technology but you would think that these billion pound/dollar companys would be able to put both in 1 machine.

A

Anonymous

i think lg used to make one the bh 100 but that was in 2007

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately, Sony would like you to replace your HD-DVD collection with Blu-rays, and no way would they make anything that plays HD-DVDs.

However, I think Toshiba have now signed up for Blu-ray? If so, they could produce a multi-format player, but probably won't ...

emotion-6.gif

audioidiot1

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
just had a look at yan,s comment and he was rite and it is still available at warehouse expess.com for £880 quid. a bit expensive i think

i only asked because i have a tosh hd player

just had another look and its on back order from there supplier!!!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Do you have a large HD-DVD library? I know it's a rough deal being the wrong end of a format war, but fact is that BD players - and decent ones, too - can now be had for sub-£100, and i'm sure all the movies you have will be on low-cost Blu-ray release by now.

audioidiot1

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
hi clare, yes there are a few hd discs in excess of 100. but hey thats life,i have been replacing them on blu. correct me if i,m wrong but blu ray are not multi region unlike hd was?

cheers

A

Anonymous

If you have an Xbox 360, you can still pick up the HD DVD drives for bargain prices. Won't be as good as dedicated hi end, but it is a cheap solution if you have an xbox.

ebay link here

A

Anonymous

Is their a way of copying them onto a hard drive then stream them to the tv?

if its an old format that is not current then perhaps someone has got around the copy protection (if you own the disc and its for personal use) im sure the cost of the hard drive and a media streamer would be cheaper than the LG player.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
There was a player that played both Blue ray and HDDVD, It was very expensive and lacked a number of functions, I think it was made bySamsung, but I stand to be corrected. I doubt it is still available new but you could try Ebay

redbullmaster

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm up to 250 HD-DVD's so far (only 6 blu ray disc's) and with Tulpan being released on the 12th of April and Deadlands 2 due in march who says the format war is over. Most of these cost me under £3.00, and if you look on ebay you can grab a player for under £50. Also with China Blue HD and someone who can hack firmware, we may find a new lease of life for are Hd-dvd players yet. I think Denon was playing with the idea of having HD-DVD playback in its next blu-ray player, but decided to put the investment in other areas of the player instead. So maybe one day we will have a player to do both jobs, as i think there is still a lot of people with hd discs out there.

manicm

redbullmaster:I'm up to 250 HD-DVD's so far (only 6 blu ray disc's) and with Tulpan being released on the 12th of April and Deadlands 2 due in march who says the format war is over. Most of these cost me under £3.00, and if you look on ebay you can grab a player for under £50. Also with China Blue HD and someone who can hack firmware, we may find a new lease of life for are Hd-dvd players yet. I think Denon was playing with the idea of having HD-DVD playback in its next blu-ray player, but decided to put the investment in other areas of the player instead. So maybe one day we will have a player to do both jobs, as i think there is still a lot of people with hd discs out there.

250 discs? I think you bought out the entire store!

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
My local store still has a Bluray/HD-DVD player beastie made by LG.
As long as you have so many discs on HD-DVD, just enjoy them and buy a new Bluray player and start a new collection from there.

No reason to get rid of the previous collection, it's still a great format and you can still get some really good and cheap back catalogue stuff on the net.

I still break out the odd LaserDisc film sometimes, I wouldn't dream of junking it.
However my wife may have other ideas . . . .

nads

Tonya:

No reason to get rid of the previous collection, it's still a great format and you can still get some really good and cheap back catalogue stuff on the net.

and a more user friendly format and with certain web based shops doing HD DVD from $1.99 it is still not dead (just not alive at the same time).

i still find HD DVD a happier viewing experience than Blu.

it just works.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
My point entirely, Nads!
emotion-2.gif

Although there probably won't be any new material on DVD-HD I'm willing to bet there are several warehouses full of classic titles.

I mean Sony are STILL flogging off UMD stuff for God's sake! (Simpson's movie anyone?)

Must confess I still enjoy my ancient DCC recorder as well, and that WAS a turkey of sorts.
In fact the only formats I have bought and thrown to date are the VHD system (what was I thinking!) and an old Sony ElCassette recorder, but that WAS good in it's day.

Unfortunately, it's day was when I was still wearing crushed velvet loons
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

1) HMV and Play have quite a few HDDVD titles starting at about £2.99 each, as I am sure will Ebay, and there will no doubt be warehouses somewhere full of them.

2) HD-DVD discs are region free I believe.

3) Previous generations of LG PC Rom drives could read both formats, I have one, the LG GGC-H20L (£60), but no HD-DVD discs just BluRays.

4) PowerDVD 7 Ultra on PC could play both formats on PC but this was later dropped as of version 8.

5) It is possible to back-up/rip HD-DVD discs to PC as entire disk images or just movie streams, but this is not the forum to discuss such things further, please look elsewhere.

6) Picture quality and audio are 99% the same for both formats, the only real difference being the slightly lower storage capacity of HD-DVD and the fact Dolby True HD is stored in a different way on each format.

audioidiot1

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
thanks to all for comments. i think its great that some people still have hd discs and still being able to buy them.maybe i,m not so stupid after all with my original comments.

maybe there will be hd/bd player after all,maybe from denon then again might be from alba.

cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts