200TB optical discs are on their way, but 8K Blu-ray certainly isn't

manicm

8k TVs are hugely expensive and, there is barely any 8K content outside Japan. Not really much of an incentive to buy one... Also, with BluRay sales dropping away, what incentive is there, for any manufacturers to invest in the production of these 200TB discs?

The main purpose of these discs are for data storage, not entertainment. I said it a long time ago that 8k discs/players for movies ain't happening.

F8lee

Dec 20, 2019
Visit site
My question is this: while that certainly sounds like a lot of data storage capacity, what is the expected longevity? As I understand it, while mass produced CDs and DVDs are fairly archival in nature, home-burned dicks are not- seems a little air getting into the dyes in the reflective layer via micro-cracks end up turning the disk into little more than a coaster.
So if these are sold as backups for institutions or folks with a lot of files to save (an that would be an awful lot of files), will they stand the test of time?

pat tap

Nov 15, 2023
Visit site
My question is this: while that certainly sounds like a lot of data storage capacity, what is the expected longevity? As I understand it, while mass produced CDs and DVDs are fairly archival in nature, home-burned dicks are not- seems a little air getting into the dyes in the reflective layer via micro-cracks end up turning the disk into little more than a coaster.
So if these are sold as backups for institutions or folks with a lot of files to save (an that would be an awful lot of files), will they stand the test of time?
home burned dicks will never be popular with most sensible males...

Reactions: Gray and F8lee

Sienar

May 5, 2023
Visit site
Just imagine having an uncompressed and complete Digital Cinema Package on a single disc. A pure bit for bit master quality original copy. 200-400GB would suffice for a 4k movie. Could even up the colour to 12 bit and beyond. There's little to no practical limitations except data bottlenecks.

Home cinema physical media tragically don't have a massive future. However, it could be a revolution in cheap distribution of movie DCPs to your local cinema in a tidy, slim, cheap and secure package.

Last edited:
Reactions: no-name-123

Sienar

May 5, 2023
Visit site
Needless to say, if a breakthrough a tenth of this scale happened 10 years ago, we would already be watching truly compression free movies on disc.

Sienar

May 5, 2023
Visit site
I know. Can't get my head around it. Good for them though, paying chip money for DVDs without a care for extra resolution or dynamic range. I have my 4k Dolby Vision TV and Blu-ray collection. They still have their money and are obviously content.

I do so love my 4k HDR blu rays though.

Reactions: no-name-123

no-name-123

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
Sienar I stand with you 100%. Ref the DVD brigade viewing on old B&W TVs and you saying that they don't have a care for the extra quality available on something more modern. Many say that ignorance is bliss. Depending on the title, DVD Vs Blu, the price difference can be modest, on occasions the Blu can be cheaper

Gray

...while mass produced CDs and DVDs are fairly archival in nature, home-burned dicks are not- seems a little air getting into the dyes in the reflective layer via micro-cracks end up turning the disk into little more than a coaster.
Well I've been lucky so far then - my home-burned discs are 26 years old and all ok.....mind you, I don't regard 26 years as archive (I'll settle for double that, but I wouldn't bet against treble - even though I won't be around to cash in the bet....as I'll be dead).

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts