Blu Ray HD Audio Connection advice please...

AV-Fan

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I need some advice as I'm currently considering an ONKYO TX-NR515 to replace my aging SONY ES 1200 Receiver because it does not do DTS HD or True HD sound.

I have B&W 684 L&R, B&W 685 SL & SR, B&W HTM 62 CS, and it seems a shame not to send some HD Audio their way :wall:

My dilema is that my current screens maximum video input signal is component which I use a SONY BDP S370 and use its Optical Digital Audio connection into the Receiver which doesnt send HD Audio.

Would I able to keep the component video signal to the screen (analogue) and at the same time use HDMI (Digital) Audio into the ONKYO Receiver for the soundtrack??

AV-Fan

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I suppose it boils down to whether my blu ray player can output component video and HDMI audio simultaneously :doh:

Anyone know for certain if the Sony BDP S370 (the manual isn't particularly clear on this) is capable of this.

Many thanks for help with this.

Is the ONKYO TX-NR515 suitable with B&W 600 series speakers or should I be aiming to the next price category up from this (£1000).

I appreciate any advice on the amp as I cannot audition before I buy as I am housebound.

Thanks again.

AV-Fan

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Currently using pre outs for front L&R into stereo amp for music.

Any new receiver would preferably have pre outs connections.

AV-Fan

May 8, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Can't help thinking you've got a hugely mismatched system. You will definitely benefit with a receiver upgrade. Which TV have you got?

Fully aware of the weak links in my system, yes.

But for now, before clicking buy now, can blu ray output component video to the TV as well as sendinf HD Audio into the ONKYO receiver.

Thanks.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Can you not tell the ES to take the video from component, and the audio from hdmi ?

If you set the S370 to output PCM then you will have your lossless sound.

AV-Fan said:
bigboss said:
Can't help thinking you've got a hugely mismatched system. You will definitely benefit with a receiver upgrade. Which TV have you got?

Fully aware of the weak links in my system, yes.

But for now, before clicking buy now, can blu ray output component video to the TV as well as sendinf HD Audio into the ONKYO receiver.

Thanks.

I meant you should go higher up than the Onkyo you're considering.

AV-Fan

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Big Boss, like the current What Hi Fi best buy Pioneer VSX-LX55 ?

Albeit a big leap of faith as I cannot audition in person and would have to order online.

I am open to recommendations to partner B&W 600 series.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts