Blu Ray Audio - bitstream via hdmi query

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

You can tell I'm getting involved in some serious research! I have one query. If you are processing your blu ray audio via bitstream/hdmi, does that mean that you are by-passing entirely any audio circuitry that your blu ray player might have? i.e. if you have a high-end blu ray player, is it irrelevant what audio components it has as the sound will be entirely handled and dictated by the amp??

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

No you tell the blu ray player to decode or sent it to the amp for decoding. It in the settings

Vance

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Davo2008:

Hi,

You can tell I'm getting involved in some serious research! I have one query. If you are processing your blu ray audio via bitstream/hdmi, does that mean that you are by-passing entirely any audio circuitry that your blu ray player might have? i.e. if you have a high-end blu ray player, is it irrelevant what audio components it has as the sound will be entirely handled and dictated by the amp??

Thanks!

Yes it is by-passed. Honest companies like Oppo will tell you as much, telling customers not to buy their SE version of the 83 if they are using HDMI:

"OPPO Digital recommends the BDP-83 Special Edition to customers who primarily use the analog audio output to connect to either a dedicated stereo or a multi-channel surround system. For customers who primarily use the HDMI output to connect to an A/V receiver or directly to a TV/projector, and for customers who primarily use the optical/coaxial digital audio output, the standard BDP-83 is recommended. "

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to you both! Two different answers! I thought Bitstream meant pass the signal unprocessed to the amp? If the audio components onboard the blu ray player are better than the amp, are you saying there's an option to decode onboard and THEN send to the amp as a pass through?

A

Anonymous

Hammill

If that was true why are theier any reviews on blu ray plays with no 7.1 outs? Surely your saying that they would sound pretty much the same as they are taking on the characteristics of the amp.

If that is so would could the WHF team decribe the Sony S370as:

Talented with sound too
The 'S370's talents extend to sound performance, too. The Sony edges out other players for outright resolution, but of greater significance is that it provides a wonderfully balanced, focused sound.

Whether listening to Faithless on SACD or the Gorillaz on CD, the Sony's extra insight and excellent timing ensures you're thoroughly entertained.

What you have with the Sony BDP-S370 is a fabulous package that combines top-drawer performance, a fine smattering of features and quite incredible value for money.

Vance

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
vanceg:

Hammill

If that was true why are theier any reviews on blu ray plays with no 7.1 outs? Surely your saying that they would sound pretty much the same as they are taking on the characteristics of the amp.

If that is so would could the WHF team decribe the Sony S370as:

Talented with sound too
The 'S370's talents extend to sound performance, too. The Sony edges out other players for outright resolution, but of greater significance is that it provides a wonderfully balanced, focused sound.

Whether listening to Faithless on SACD or the Gorillaz on CD, the Sony's extra insight and excellent timing ensures you're thoroughly entertained.

What you have with the Sony BDP-S370 is a fabulous package that combines top-drawer performance, a fine smattering of features and quite incredible value for money.

Vance
The original question concerned the audio circuitry and that is what I correctly answered. The data sent via HDMI does not undergo audio processing on the Blu-ray player - it can't and no review will change that. Now it maybe that some of the information is not read from the disk (which I doubt) or there is some issue with clocking when transmitting the data to the AV amp.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I see your point, Vance! On the other side of the coin, if you had a decent blu ray player, do you only need to run it through a low-grade up, just for amplification purposes? I'll have to investigate my set-up menus!

A

Anonymous

Davo

In theory there should be no difference whether the blu ray or the amp decodes as you are sending a lossless format. The amp will either see PCM (decoded by blu ray) or bitstream (decoded by amp).

Vance

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
So when you read reports about "separation of instruments", "3-d surround field", "warmth", "non-wooly bass", "clarity", "wide soundstage" etc etc, where are these differences between players created? In the player, or the amp? I can see this isn't as straight-forward a question as I'd hoped! In fact, I don't think ANY question regarding home cinema has a straight-forward answer! I really appreciate all your replies though!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's been fairly obvious from auditioning that I've done that there is a clear difference in sound between players when bitstreaming HD audio to an amp. So the idea that, because for some reason the information is digital that it sounds the same no matter what the source is clearly not the case. If it were, all CD players with a digital output would also sound exactly the same if the digital output were used - again, this is clearly not the case so the quality of the components used within each player in outputting that sound as a digital bitstream signal must have an affect.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Prof! I'm having a real mental struggle at the moment with how I'm going to get the best sound out of my major components. I think bitstream from my Denon 3800 might be better overall than attempting to go the analogue route. Until I invest in some cables and try it out myself though, I don't think I'll ever sleep again...!

A

Anonymous

I am trying to get LPCM 2 out of a Sony BDP S370 and into a DAC (Yulong) that processes up to 192kHz 24 bit uncompressed. The DAC can only see 48kHz from the Sony at either the optical or coaxial digital ports. I asked Sony about this and got a response that the support group can't say. Does anyone know where to find out for a given device, such as the Sony BDP S370, where to get output specs for EACH port? I have also looked at the Altona HD577 de-embedder which splits audio, including LPCM, out of a HDMI output and sends it out via digital coaxial and optical as well as the passthru HDMI signal. However, they don't say what the sampling rate is or bits for the LPCM. Thanks in advance for any help finding a definitive answer.

A

Anonymous

If you use coax or optical chances are you won't get more than 48kHz out of it, this digital medium rarely supports higher sampling rates.

A

Anonymous

patrickvanham said:
If you use coax or optical chances are you won't get more than 48kHz out of it, this digital medium rarely supports higher sampling rates.
what i dont understand is my two blu ray players output 96/24khz when i play neil young dvd prairie wind via co ax and optical to my dacmagic,
but when i try my blu ray audio only discs, tom petty mojo and damn the torpedo it only outputs at 48khz mojo is only 48 khz disc though
also played naxos blu ray dvorak sym nos 6 and 9 it also outputs at 48khz so there must be some digital limiting going on in blu ray discs
via coax and optical outs.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I concour PH, there are so many factors affecting the digital output, the quality of the transport, error correction circuits, power supplies, etc.

Sometimes I'm amazed it works at all . . . .

A

Anonymous

Do you have the option to use a HDMI cable instead of SPDIF? If the source is 48kHz it should be the same, if HDMI does 96kHz then there could be a limit on the disc (HDCP doesn't work on SPDIF).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts