Blind testing, snake oil, and high end audio...ultimate answer here!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I've figured it out once and for all. After extensive blind testing, scientific analysis, and years of research I have finally figured out what is myth, what is fact, and what equipment truly sounds better...ready....here it comes...you might want to sit down for this...

I call this jax's axiom of audio.

Any equipment cheaper than mine sounds bad and should be upgraded. Any equipment more costly than mine is snake oil and a clear waste of money (shysters!). Be aware that this rule is not bound to my current equipment. As I upgrade, a new standard is set for the worthiness of audio equipment. Enjoy!

A

Anonymous

lol
emotion-1.gif

jaxwired:

Ok, I've figured it out once and for all. After extensive blind testing, scientific analysis, and years of research I have finally figured out what is myth, what is fact, and what equipment truly sounds better...ready....here it comes...you might want to sit down for this...

Any equipment cheaper than mine sounds bad and should be upgraded. Any equipment more costly than mine is snake oil and a clear waste of money (shysters!). Be aware that this rule is not bound to my current equipment. As I upgrade, a new standard is set for the worthiness of audio equipment. Enjoy!

OMG
emotion-3.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
class jax! btw, how are you getting on with the contours? i seem to remember saying i thought you'd love them a while back.
emotion-19.gif
emotion-2.gif
ultimately my atc's suit me better, but i was very tempted by them.

A

Anonymous

A fine solution to this whole argument and I'm with you ........ only it relates to me in regards to my own kit - and I'm sure you'll agree that's the only possible solution I could settle upon!

Maybe we are ALL in the same situation!?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Craig M.: class jax! btw, how are you getting on with the contours? i seem to remember saying i thought you'd love them a while back.
emotion-19.gif
emotion-2.gif
ultimately my atc's suit me better, but i was very tempted by them.

Hey Craig, loving the contours. It's only been a few days, so I'm still getting used to them, but first impressions are that everything I liked about the X16s is still there but a notch or two better. I'm amazed how they dig up so much detail without any brightness to the sound. Thanks for asking.
emotion-1.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
jaxwired:

I've been working to this maxim for a while now...

Ant8519

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
there is a very similar maxim regarding driving:

Anyone faster than me is a maniac

Anyone slower than me is dawdling

Why can't everyone just drive exactly like me?

Either maxim fairly well sum up the heated nature of some replies. Thankfully they also both contain that little hint of irony that makes it all alright in the end....

A

Anonymous

ant ... some people occasionaly enjoy winding people up sometimes (me included) ... however, you take the cake!
emotion-2.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
dim_span:ant ... some people occasionaly enjoy winding people up sometimes (me included) ... however, you take the cake!
emotion-2.gif

as long as he doesn't touch my pie!

A

Anonymous

I think Chebby still beats us all ... on my first post here, he ripped me apart ... andrew is very easy to wind up ... tried with chebby, but he ignores me now... sometimes want to wind Matthewpiano, but he is a nice guy and not sure if he has a good sense of humour
emotion-2.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
dim_span:I think Chebby still beats us all ... on my first post here, he ripped me apart ... andrew is very easy to wind up ... tried with chebby, but he ignores me now... sometimes want to wind Matthewpiano, but he is a nice guy and not sure if he has a good sense of humour
emotion-2.gif

yeah, be careful with chebby. it's a bit like taunting a cat, you might end up getting the claw.
emotion-5.gif

idc

Threads such as this work when posters behave like mates down the pub having a laugh, sharing knowledge without preaching and who can agree to disagree, the chat was fun. Otherwise it is the most unpleasent of nights out in a pub full of windup merchants, mischief makers and argumentative holier than though types.

This is not an investigative, serious study forum nor is it some sort of Monty Python office for being rude and abusive (sarcasm is two doors on the left down the corridor).

This forums greatest strength is helping those brand new to hifi with its not too technical advice and real world experience. It is generally friendly, funny and a happy place to be. It is not our forum, we are all privilaged guests of the Moderator.

Anyway, thats my rant. I'll chat to anyone who is friendly, I have the hide of a rhino and never intend to offend.

TRENDING THREADS