Bitten by the hifi bug and want to upgrade already!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As some people already know I have bought my first hifi a just weeks ago but I want to upgrade it already.

Since getting a new hifi I have stopped watching TV and my PS3 is gathering dust because I spend all of the time listening to Spotify. The Yamaha speakers and DacMagic make music sound better than expected and is the best hifi I have heard for under £1000. But I have been bitten by the hifi bug and want somthing even better.

When my dad heard the Yamaha speakers he likes them so much he wants to buy some for his own computer. But now I have done a deal with him so that he will buy mine off me for a good second hand price and I will save up my wages and christmas money to buy some new speakers for £2000. It will take about 4 months to save up enough money so there is lots to time to decide what is best.

I have a small bedroom so no floorstanding or big speakers. I mostly like the sound of small speakers for the music and a subwoofer for base. I live near London so listening to speakers is not a problem. The best that I have heard so far is the Adam S1X speakers with the Adam Sub 10 although I might get away with the smaller Sub 8 because my room is very small.

Is there any speakers and amplifiers that you think I should listen to. They must go very loud and have good bass for when I watch films.

A

Anonymous

The speakers will be on a desk each side of a TV and I want to keep the Dac Magic to use as the hifi source.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For amps maybe look at Musical Fidelity M3i, Leema Pulse or Harman Kardon HK990; and for speakers Kef R300 or Dynaudio Focus 160 / Contour S1.4 (would probably need the HK to power them)

What is the budget for the amp?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

The OP uses active speakers and mentioned Adam (active) speakers as a possible upgrade. He also wants them on desk either side of a TV in a bedroom.

I don't think we are talking about amps/seperates here.

A

Anonymous

£2000 max budget for the whole system. Amplifier speakers and a subwoofer.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look at those speakers and amplifiers at the weekend. I have listened to the Kef speakers and they are good but not as good as the Yamaha speakers to my ears.

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
CnoEvil said:

The OP uses active speakers and mentioned Adam (active) speakers as a possible upgrade. He also wants them on desk either side of a TV in a bedroom.

I don't think we are talking about amps/seperates here.

I do not care if it is active or seperates so long as the sound is best.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
StarCraft said:
Is there any speakers and amplifiers that you think I should listen to. They must go very loud and have good bass for when I watch films.

I think the AVI ADM9Ts (plus AVI's dedicated sub) still comes to around £2000 total (ish).

They should be loud enough.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
StarCraft said:
The speakers will be on a desk each side of a TV

You will need to isolate the speakers from the desk using something like Auralex Mopads. It's also possible a sealed speaker like the Spendor SA1s would work better, but would have less bass.

IMO Spending £2k on some speakers to put on a desk, would considerably compromise them, so tread carefully.

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
You don't perhaps need the sub, maybe a nice extra, but not compulsory.

My choices would be AE22

ADM9RS

I have heard the AE22 which I do not like. They sound too sharp to my ears and they have been hit with the fugly stick.

I like the ADM9 speakers when I listened to them but think that the Adam speakers have a better tweeter. The ADM9 are better in the middle range than the Adam but I still like the Adam more.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
StarCraft said:

I think the AVI ADM9Ts (plus AVI's dedicated sub) still comes to around £2000 total (ish).

Despite all I've said, I think the above is probably the best all round solution......though my suggestions are still valid (but I wouldn't put the Contours on a desk).

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
StarCraft said:

You will need to isolate the speakers from the desk using something like Auralex Mopads. It's also possible a sealed speaker like the Spendor SA1s would work better, but would have less bass.

IMO Spending £2k on some speakers to put on a desk, would considerably compromise them, so tread carefully.

At the moment I am using books for desk stands but I will make some proper desk stands later.

I like the look of these stands http://www.head-fi.org/t/353449/external-dac-to-yamaha-hs50m

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
chebby said:
StarCraft said:

Despite all I've said, I think the above is probably the best all round solution......though my suggestions are still valid (but I wouldn't put the Contours on a desk).

I have listened to the ADM9 speakers and like them a lot. They are a close second place but think that the Adam has a nicer tweeter and look better.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
StarCraft said:
£2000 max budget for the whole system. Amplifier speakers and a subwoofer.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look at those speakers and amplifiers at the weekend. I have listened to the Kef speakers and they are good but not as good as the Yamaha speakers to my ears.

Have you heard the R series, which are different to anything Kef have produced in an affordable speaker?

The HK is available here and has 150W into 8 Ohms, 300W into 4 Ohms, room EQ and a DAC: http://www.thehomecinemacentre.co.uk/index.php/hi_fi/hi-fi_amplifier/harman_kardon_hk990/

The R300 are £999 and the LS50s at £800 might also be a good choice.

Listen to all, before making a choice.

Cno

A

Anonymous

I have not heard the Kef R series speakers so I will listen to them at the weekend.

The Kef speakers that I have heard are the Q300 which are not as good as the Yamaha speakers. They are ok but seem a bit hard and blurry compared to the Yamaha which just sound clear. With the Kef it feels like listening to the speakers but with the Yamaha it feels like listening to just the music.

Maybe I am saying it badly because the Q300 speakers are good just not quite as good as the Yamaha speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
StarCraft said:
I have not heard the Kef R series speakers so I will listen to them at the weekend.

The Kef speakers that I have heard are the Q300 which are not as good as the Yamaha speakers. They are ok but seem a bit hard and blurry compared to the Yamaha which just sound clear. With the Kef it feels like listening to the speakers but with the Yamaha it feels like listening to just the music.

Maybe I am saying it badly because the Q300 speakers are good just not quite as good as the Yamaha speakers.

IMO The Q Series are good, but the R series are outstanding. Do also listen to the LS50s, as they are very accurate, and might suit your situation.

Let us know how you get on.

Cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
StarCraft said:
CnoEvil said:
StarCraft said:

At the moment I am using books for desk stands but I will make some proper desk stands later.

I like the look of these stands http://www.head-fi.org/t/353449/external-dac-to-yamaha-hs50m

It would worry me that those stands, being metal, wouldn't isolate the speakers from the desk well enough.....it would probably help if you put Granite mats under the stands, and Blu-tac under the speakers.

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
As you like actives, I would look for some second hand ATC SCM10As.

Thanks ben. I will have a look for some of them in shops but can not see any for sale on the internet. Do you know where I can find some second hand.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
StarCraft said:
CnoEvil said:
StarCraft said:

It would worry me that those stands, being metal, wouldn't isolate the speakers from the desk well enough.....it would probably help if you put Granite mats under the stands, and Blu-tac under the speakers.

What does isolate the speakers from the desk mean. I thought that you only need stands to get the speakers to the right height.

A

Anonymous

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Before spending money on speakers, first I changed the DAC with the current system and start from there!

I do not mind changing if it will give a better sound but what is wrong with the DacMagic. It sounds good to me and I like it. Whathifi say that it Lacks dynamic power and has a hint of brightness to treble frequencies but I can not hear any of this.

This review says that it measures better then some expensive DACs http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
If you like clean undistorted sound some interesting options to try can be:

- AVI ADM 9RS

- Adam Audio Artist 5

- Genenelecs - they have a very good range of small actives of various sizes, several of them can be called 'compact' http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/

- Dynaudio Xeo 3 (a bit boomy/bassy IMO compared to the above), wireless

- Dynaudio 110a (similar sound to Xeo 3)

Adding a sub is a good idea too, I think.

Some other ideas in this thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-active-speakers-club

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
You say the room is small, but you want a sub??? :?

How loud is loud?

I would recommend something like the ATC SCM7 and Bel Canto S300 if you need it to fit on a desk. Bass quality over quantity. Alternative to the SA1 and S3/5R as mentioned.

The Kef R100 and LS50 could be a very good choice, especially for nearfield where mid/treble integration will be most noticable. Not heard the R100 or LS50 though, but they get very good reviews. Only problem may be they are rear ported so may not like being near the rear walls.

I would avoid a sub/sat combo in a small room, as the sub will be placed away from the main speakers, so bass integration may be poor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts