Bitten by the hifi bug and want to upgrade already!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
StarCraft said:
BenLaw said:
As you like actives, I would look for some second hand ATC SCM10As.

Thanks ben. I will have a look for some of them in shops but can not see any for sale on the internet. Do you know where I can find some second hand.

They come up fairly frequently on eBay but there aren't any at the moment. If I see any for sale I'll post a link here.

StarCraft said:
What does isolate the speakers from the desk mean. I thought that you only need stands to get the speakers to the right height.

It means trying to avoid the whole desk vibrating like a giant membrane, blurring the sound, or (more simply) preventing rattles and buzzes which will spoil your listening.

Think how much more solid a floor is than a desk. Jump up and down on each if you think I'm kidding!

A

Anonymous

AlmaataKZ said:
If you like clean undistorted sound some interesting options to try can be:

- AVI ADM 9RS

- Adam Audio Artist 5

- Genenelecs - they have a very good range of small actives of various sizes, several of them can be called 'compact' http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/

- Dynaudio Xeo 3 (a bit boomy/bassy IMO compared to the above), wireless

- Dynaudio 110a (similar sound to Xeo 3)

Adding a sub is a good idea too, I think.

Some other ideas in this thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-active-speakers-club

I like the ADM9 speakers they are better than the Adam speakers in some ways but the tweeter on the Adams sounds nicer to my ears and I like the look of the Adams more.

I have heard the Adam Artist 5 speakers and like them but the more expensive Adam S1X sounds a bit better in every way and is almost the same size. The Adam X-Art tweeters are the best that I have heard. Do any other speakers use X-Art tweeters.

The Genelecs sound good but the tweeter is a bit sharp next to the Adams tweeter. Genelec speakers have been hit with a big fugly stick to.

I liked some of the cheap Dynaaudio speakers but not as much as my Yamaha speakers. I would like to listen to some expensive ones and will look out for the Xeo 3 and 110a. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
StarCraft said:
BenLaw said:
As you like actives, I would look for some second hand ATC SCM10As.

Thanks ben. I will have a look for some of them in shops but can not see any for sale on the internet. Do you know where I can find some second hand.

They come up fairly frequently on eBay but there aren't any at the moment. If I see any for sale I'll post a link here.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

nopiano said:
StarCraft said:
What does isolate the speakers from the desk mean. I thought that you only need stands to get the speakers to the right height.

It means trying to avoid the whole desk vibrating like a giant membrane, blurring the sound, or (more simply) preventing rattles and buzzes which will spoil your listening.

Think how much more solid a floor is than a desk. Jump up and down on each if you think I'm kidding!

The desk is solid and does not seem to make any noises. I will have a look at the Auralex Mopads that Cnoevil said about.

A

Anonymous

hoopsontoast said:
You say the room is small, but you want a sub??? :?

How loud is loud?

I would recommend something like the ATC SCM7 and Bel Canto S300 if you need it to fit on a desk. Bass quality over quantity. Alternative to the SA1 and S3/5R as mentioned.

The Kef R100 and LS50 could be a very good choice, especially for nearfield where mid/treble integration will be most noticable. Not heard the R100 or LS50 though, but they get very good reviews. Only problem may be they are rear ported so may not like being near the rear walls.

I would avoid a sub/sat combo in a small room, as the sub will be placed away from the main speakers, so bass integration may be poor.

I think I need a subwoofer because the speakers need to be small to fit on a desk but I want to have lots of bass. This bass from my Yamaha subwoofer sounds like it is coming from the 2 speakers on the desk even though the subwoofer is hidden under a table in the corner of the room away from the other speakers.

I want speakers that go very loud with lots of bass and they might also be used for a house party sometimes.

With the Adam S1X and Sub 10 there is 2 different settings. 1 for the best sound quality and 1 for the max volume. For the best sound you have all of the music and bass going to the little S1X speakers and keep the subwoofer volume turned down low to add a little bit of extra bass for the deep sounds. This sounds good quality but does not go very loud. To make them go loud you use a 85hz switch on the subwoofer that stops the bass going to the S1X speakers and all the bass comes out of the subwoofer with its volume turned up high.

The Kef R100 and LS50 look good but the R300 will be to big for my desk. I will listen to the R100 and LS50 with the Kef subwoofer to see what they are like. I will look out for the ATC SCM7 and Bel Canto S300 to. Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
StarCraft said:
nopiano said:
StarCraft said:

The desk is solid and does not seem to make any noises. I will have a look at the Auralex Mopads that Cnoevil said about.

NP has explained my concern above. A speaker's vibrations will be transmitted into what ever it's sitting on. This is fine if it's spiked into a concrete foor, as the unwanted resonances are "sunk" into the mass of concrete.

If what the speaker is sitting on causes any sort of booming or smearing, the speaker needs isolated, or de-coupled from it. How much your desk will effect the sound will depend on what it's made of, how heavy/solid it is and if there are any drawers/storage areas built into it, which will act as resonance chambers and sing along with the speaker.

De-coupling materials include Blu-tac, Granite, Sorbothane, Acousic Foam (Mopads), and filling the stands with materials like rice.

Coupling happens with the use of spikes and metal stands.

Paying attention to this could make or break the sound you will get.

Hope this helps

Cno

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. I will bare this in mind and try any new speakers at home on my desk before I buy them with different stands and de-coupling materials to hear what differance it makes to the sound.

My desk is heavy and solid wood with some draws in it and my bedroom floor is normal wooden floorboards.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
StarCraft said:
As some people already know I have bought my first hifi a just weeks ago but I want to upgrade it already. Since getting a new hifi I have stopped watching TV and my PS3 is gathering dust because I spend all of the time listening to Spotify. The Yamaha speakers and DacMagic make music sound better than expected and is the best hifi I have heard for under £1000. But I have been bitten by the hifi bug and want somthing even better. When my dad heard the Yamaha speakers he likes them so much he wants to buy some for his own computer. But now I have done a deal with him so that he will buy mine off me for a good second hand price and I will save up my wages and christmas money to buy some new speakers for £2000. It will take about 4 months to save up enough money so there is lots to time to decide what is best. I have a small bedroom so no floorstanding or big speakers. I mostly like the sound of small speakers for the music and a subwoofer for base. I live near London so listening to speakers is not a problem. The best that I have heard so far is the Adam S1X speakers with the Adam Sub 10 although I might get away with the smaller Sub 8 because my room is very small. Is there any speakers and amplifiers that you think I should listen to. They must go very loud and have good bass for when I watch films.
How about a pair of Golden Ears Aon 3? A steal at £1000. will offer all the bass you need and the lovely higher frequencies withe the ribbon tweeter

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
StarCraft said:
As some people already know I have bought my first hifi a just weeks ago but I want to upgrade it already. Since getting a new hifi I have stopped watching TV and my PS3 is gathering dust because I spend all of the time listening to Spotify. The Yamaha speakers and DacMagic make music sound better than expected and is the best hifi I have heard for under £1000. But I have been bitten by the hifi bug and want somthing even better. When my dad heard the Yamaha speakers he likes them so much he wants to buy some for his own computer. But now I have done a deal with him so that he will buy mine off me for a good second hand price and I will save up my wages and christmas money to buy some new speakers for £2000. It will take about 4 months to save up enough money so there is lots to time to decide what is best. I have a small bedroom so no floorstanding or big speakers. I mostly like the sound of small speakers for the music and a subwoofer for base. I live near London so listening to speakers is not a problem. The best that I have heard so far is the Adam S1X speakers with the Adam Sub 10 although I might get away with the smaller Sub 8 because my room is very small. Is there any speakers and amplifiers that you think I should listen to. They must go very loud and have good bass for when I watch films.
How about a pair of Golden Ears Aon 3? A steal at £1000. will offer all the bass you need and the lovely higher frequencies withe the ribbon tweeter

not to mention Golder Ear's tweeter is infact x-art tweeter. or should I say x-art tweeter is Heil A.V.T. tweeter and Golden Ear's H.V.F.R. tweeter is also Heil A.V.T. type.

A

Anonymous

Those Golden Ears speakers look good. The X-Art tweeter is what I like most with the Adam speakers so I want to listen to the Golden Ears ribbon tweeter. Thanks gbhsi1.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Your upgrading very fast. Give yourself some time to enjoy what you have!

If you still can't wait: Cheap (secondhand or old stock) Creek Destiny-1 amp, and Epos Epic 2 or Kef R300. You don't need a sub in that small room; place the speakers in the wright spot.

A

Anonymous

Yes I am upgrading fast. This is because the Yamaha speakers have given me a taste of good sound and now I want more now I want the best. I do enjoy the Yamaha speakers and they will not be wasted because my dad will use them in his office with a Roland DAC. What ever speakers I get next will be keeping for a long time because I am taking driving lessons and will have less money to spend.

I have not heard the Creek Destiny 1 or Epos Epic 2 so will look out for them at the weekend. I have listened to the Kef speakers with a Marants amplifier and they are good but not as good as the Yamaha speakers which sound more in focus than the Kefs.

I do not mind having speakers that do not need a subwoofer. On the Yamaha subwoofer the volume is set very low so that I can only just hear it. The difference it makes to the sound of the speakers is small but it does make them sound bigger and heavier which is what I like. It is also good when watching TV.

A

Anonymous

Today I have bought some Adam ARTist 6 floorstanding speakers in gloss black with the matching Adam ARTist Sub for £1224.

Before buying these I spent 3 months listening to speakers and amplifiers in shops every weekend. I was willing to spend as much as £2000 to get the best sound but after comparing the ARTist 6 to other speakers at this price I didnt hear anything that I like better.

I had to move the desk out of my room so that the floorstanding ARTist 6 speakers would fit in here and the TV is now on the wall between the speakers. I also tried bigger Adam subwoofers which were better in the living room downstairs but in my little bedroom the ARTist subwoofer sounds just as good and was cheaper.

A

Anonymous

Thanks

The ARTist 6 speakers sound brilliant. They are really tiny for floorstanding speakers. 33.5" tall x 5.5" wide and work well in my bedroom. The matching ARTist subwoofer has all the bass I could want in such a small space.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts