BitPerfect is...erm...perfect!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Doesn't bit perfection vanish as soon as you adjust the volume inthe digital domain? In any case, much of the stuff I listen to is less than lossless and I'm happy, so don't really see that it's of much consequence.

I stand to be corrected on specificas, but it won't change that I CBA and am not really that bothered.

SteveR750

Alec said:
Doesn't bit perfection vanish as soon as you adjust the volume inthe digital domain? In any case, much of the stuff I listen to is less than lossless and I'm happy, so don't really see that it's of much consequence.

I stand to be corrected on specificas, but it won't change that I CBA and am not really that bothered.

Yes I believe so, similarly if you use a DSP.

TBH, I have strted using mine to tone down a bit of room resonance and a bit of upper lift to counteract my ageing hearing;so technically it's no longer bit perfect, but then since the FR of my speakers in my room is probably far from flat then it's a moot point anyway.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
That's an interesting thought. I never really paid much attention to the volume control in iTunes, presuming that it ran with no loss in resolution (cuts no bits).

ItS certainly true that some digital attenuation will cut bits but not all, that includeds hardware aswell as soft and afaik Foobar runs at full resolution (as well as my DAC) when the volume is used.
For arguments sake let's say iTunes doesn't run at full resolution, the only way that would be an issue is if you used it to control the volume and not used some other means to control it, meaning running the iTunes attenuation at full tilt to get over the issue of bit reduction.

Would be interesting to know how the iTunes volume works.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
shooter said:
A right pain in the rear then. How did it sound though compared to Bit-Perfect?
Very smooth. To some ears it might even be too smooth and syrupy, dull even, but with my speakers which can be a bit harsh with digital, it was a great match. But it costs around £150 and I'm just not sure that it made £150 of difference.

SteveR750

shooter said:
That's an interesting thought. I never really paid much attention to the volume control in iTunes, presuming that it ran with no loss in resolution (cuts no bits). ItS certainly true that some digital attenuation will cut bits but not all, that includeds hardware aswell as soft and afaik Foobar runs at full resolution (as well as my DAC) when the volume is used. For arguments sake let's say iTunes doesn't run at full resolution, the only way that would be an issue is if you used it to control the volume and not used some other means to control it, meaning running the iTunes attenuation at full tilt to get over the issue of bit reduction. Would be interesting to know how the iTunes volume works.

Note sure about iTunes in Mac O/S environment, but J River's DSP operates in 64 bit in W7, so there is no loss of data when it is downsampled and streamed apparently.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
No it's not A.E compatible. It does say as such in the FAQ: http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.co.uk/p/faq.html

Maybe the designer should make that more obvious.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone used this with a MacBook Air and had problems? A track finishing but the next not starting for instance? I've tried findling with the settings but to no avail. I'm wondering if it's the MB Air only having 4GB of memory that's to blame.

SteveD, can you help out here, as I see you're running a MB Air with BitPerfect?

A

Anonymous

ngibbs said:
Has anyone used this with a MacBook Air and had problems? A track finishing but the next not starting for instance? I've tried findling with the settings but to no avail. I'm wondering if it's the MB Air only having 4GB of memory that's to blame.

SteveD, can you help out here, as I see you're running a MB Air with BitPerfect?

Hi ngibbs, sorry missed your post, been away this weekend.

Had no issues at all with the MacBook Air and BitPerfect, in fact I've got BitPerfect set up so upsampling and also on buffer rate of 2048 (or whatever the setting is) which is a pretty high buffer rate.

Make sure you are not buffering higher than that (sorry, not sure of exact rate because don't have my MacBook here with me at the moment to check but the options are around 2000 or 4000).

The only time I've found it stopping playback is when a video track comes on after playing music tracks and the screensaver isn't on (i.e. it has gone into hibernation mode with black screen so still playing music but not showing anything on the screen - in this case it sometimes doesn't automatically play the video track and I need to press play again). This can be avoided by allowing the Mac to show a screensaver in which case videos play straight off but as I don't have too many music videos mixed in with my playlists I prefer to let the screen go black.

If this isn't what is causing it for you I would recommend rechecking all your settings - BitPerfect page gives you all the optimum settings so just ensure these are all as per their recommendations.

Other than that just ensure you don't have any apps or other programs working when playing music back.

Hope you get it sorted, I'm very happy with it. If you're still having problems let me know and we can see if we can figure it out together (comparing set up, settings etc).

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
SteveD said:
ngibbs said:

Hi ngibbs, sorry missed your post, been away this weekend.

Had no issues at all with the MacBook Air and BitPerfect, in fact I've got BitPerfect set up so upsampling and also on buffer rate of 2048 (or whatever the setting is) which is a pretty high buffer rate.

Make sure you are not buffering higher than that (sorry, not sure of exact rate because don't have my MacBook here with me at the moment to check but the options are around 2000 or 4000).

The only time I've found it stopping playback is when a video track comes on after playing music tracks and the screensaver isn't on (i.e. it has gone into hibernation mode with black screen so still playing music but not showing anything on the screen - in this case it sometimes doesn't automatically play the video track and I need to press play again). This can be avoided by allowing the Mac to show a screensaver in which case videos play straight off but as I don't have too many music videos mixed in with my playlists I prefer to let the screen go black.

If this isn't what is causing it for you I would recommend rechecking all your settings - BitPerfect page gives you all the optimum settings so just ensure these are all as per their recommendations.

Other than that just ensure you don't have any apps or other programs working when playing music back.

Hope you get it sorted, I'm very happy with it. If you're still having problems let me know and we can see if we can figure it out together (comparing set up, settings etc).

Thanks both SteveD and MajorFubar for the help. This is an on-going saga that I'm still trying to get to the bottom of.......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts