Airplay sound quality.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Think I know the answer to this question before I even type it, but hey, why not throw it open to the wider audience?

I've read comments / reviews in the past which states the SQ of Airplay is not as good as a direct connection, but if I'm being honest I'm struggling to tell the difference. Listening to a lossless rip of the new Vangelis CD "Rosetta" (IMO excellent and recommended if that's your style), I couldn't really tell any difference between iTunes + BitPerfect playing the album through my DM10's 'D1' optical input and the same lossless files streamed from my iPhone to my AEX connected to the 'D2' optical input. The volumes on the two inputs are individually adjustable, and in the interest of making the test as valid as I could I used a 440Hz tone to level match them. Source switching was completed by one of my unwilling assistants (aka one of my teenage sons) so I didn't know which was playing.

Maybe I didn't hear a difference because connecting the AEX and the MacMini to the DM's digitally has the effect of leveling the playing field. Maybe my hifi system doesn't have the resolution to show me the differences. Maybe I don't know how to listen. Maybe I'm deaf. Or maybe, just maybe, there's basically next to sod all difference.

daveh75

SQ is not the issue with AirPlay!

The fact that you have to use a device as a server, and the issues of adding hops to WiFi networks are a bigger issue IMO.

Then there's Apple's willful neglect of its Airport kit, and the audacity of them increasing the price of the aged tat that is now the Airport line, along with the rest price increase that come with the introduction of the new MBP.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
SQ is not the issue with AirPlay!

The fact that you have to use a device as a server, and the issues of adding hops to WiFi networks are a bigger issue IMO.

Then there's Apple's willful neglect of its Airport kit, and the audacity of them increasing the price of the aged tat that is now the Airport line, along with the rest price increase that come with the introduction of the new MBP.

I think that is only true if you're using the Music app. I'm using Stratospherix' FileBrowser, which is not ideal for reasons I've detailed in another question, but it negates the need to run iTunes on a computer in order for the Music app to 'see' the local library. I didn't really find adding the AEX to my existing network to be much of a bind to be honest, but I guess there are some who would. Though I did initially have problems with it dropping off regularly and going all Norman Collier on me, which by and large seem to have been resolved by giving it a static IP on my BT CrapHub 5 router.

I was also lucky enough to find a boxed sealed AEX on eBay for £49 so I'm pleased I wasn't impacted by any recent price increases.

Thanks for the comment re SQ.

daveh75

MajorFubar said:
I think that is only true if you're using the Music app. I'm using Stratospherix' FileBrowser, which is not ideal for reasons I've detailed in another question, but it negates the need to run iTunes on a computer in order for the Music app to 'see' the local library

You misunderstand my point. You're using an idevice as a server, or man-in-the-middle might be more apt, if you're using an app & AirPlay to stream from a NAS to an AirPlay receiver.

Your iDevice is pulling the data from your NAS, and then serving it to the AEX.

I didn't really find adding the AEX to my existing network to be much of a bind to be honest, but I guess there are some who would. I was also lucky enough to find a boxed sealed AEX on eBay for £49 so I'm pleased I wasn't impacted by any recent price increases.
£49 is still too expensive for a 4.5 year old bit of kit that is only Wireless N IMO

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts