Naim Mu So - iTunes - CD quality audio - Hi Res

SimonJ

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
Hello, this is my first post and I have few questions before I spend my hard earned cash.

I've explored my music options over the last few months and I've decided that starting a vinyl collection is not for me as I prefer minimalist and wireless - I know that goes against the grain for purists but I'm after quality sound for my tastes (and budget, short term 1,000 pounds)

70% of my music is on iTunes at 256kbps, 20% is on CD so I'm going to rip this onto my iMac for 'CD quality sound' via Apple Losless (ALAC) the remaining 10% will be hires downloads from HDTracks or similar (I dont particularly want to subscribe to anything else at this point), my music will grow via iTunes downloads and Hi Res purchases and I may have duplicate albums/songs which is fine.

1. Does the above make sense and will it work - will I be listening to high quality audio as and when I need it?

2. Do I need to purchase anything else to enhance the sound output (not in terms of volume, in terms of quality/accuracy)

3. I could hardwire the Mu So via ethernet to my Broadband (goes somewhat against wireless but my iMac is connected wirelessly) will this be more stable or better in anyway

My music collecion is varied, from Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Guns N Roses (my main collection of music) to The Black Keys, Adele the odd classical compilation and generally main stream music, hear a song then download it, listen to the album via iTunes and possibly purchase it in hi res etc

I appreciate your comments in advance (and await the spelling mistake reasponses)

Thanks

SimonJ

jjbomber

SimonJ said:
I know that goes against the grain for purists but I'm after quality sound for my tastes

That is the most important thing, do what is best for you and not what is best for someone else. For example, some will say the Mu-so should be hardwired, most can't tell the difference. Just do what is best for you.

The other thing to remember is to back up your CD collection in case of a hard drive crash.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
That Naim seems to be well regarded. If it does everything you want why not. I'd try get a listen before buying though.

As for hard wiring to Ethernet, I'd try wireless first. I can stream flac files around my house most of the time without issue, and my internet is mediocre at best. If yours is any way stable to you probably won't have an issue.

You can always wire later if required

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Wherever possible buy the CD and rip it to iTunes (in ALAC as you do now, or 320k AAC VBR and with error correction switched on).

It is usually much cheaper than buying iTunes downloads if buying albums.

SimonJ

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the responses much appreciated.......

I purchased a Bluesound Pulse 2 rather than the Mu So in the end. Although the Naim looks amazing (more so than the black chunky box, also available in white) after listening to both at Sevenoaks (Loughton) I sided with Bluesound. In my opinion in the store for a short time the Pulse 2 seemed clearer and had a noticeable presence.

With regard to the Hi -Res / CD quality (I appreciate they are not the same) the Bluesound is very good, the free Hi-Res samples which I have are typically classical and jazz which is not really my thing, notwithstanding this they both sound awesome!!! Every instrument is heard and vocals are really clear so very much suited to classical, jazz, blues or vocal artists.

The Bluesound also has a headphone out which the MuSo does not, it took me a while to sort out how to play my ITunes via the Bluesound but the radio worked straight away as it has TuneIn radio built in, find your stations add them to favourites and your away.

Still getting to grips with the new speaker and ripping my CD's in Apple Lossless - some of which I may also purchase in Hi Res, all in all the Bluesound sounds great, all the best!!

One last thing, when I tried to listen to the Hi Res downloads from HDTracks from my iPhone the music kept stopping like the signal was dropping out, once I had used the ethernet cable this stopped. Not entirely sure why it should have happened in the first place

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts