Bit stream or PCM via HDMI

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
michael_walkden:I have my Blu Ray connected via HDMI to my receiver. Should the output on the Blu ray be PCM or bitstream?

Bitstream if you want the receiver to do the decoding, and PCM if you want the player to do it.

A

Anonymous

I have an issue with this point myself.

The PS3, (I am told) does not have the chip that can process in bitstream the full sound information off a Blue Ray disc. To do this it has to be via HDMI.

Now to my ears on my system the soundtrack is much better (greater impact/presence etc ) via bitstream, with the 875 doing the processing.

I would try both ways and decide which you prefer.

A

Anonymous

Will give it a try later this eve.

Thnaks for the replies gents.

Just on aother point trevor while i notice. you have your centre speaker by wired. do you notice any improvement of just using 2 core?

Just i have the B&W HMT 62 which has the four posts but only have L & R on the back of my Onk 806.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Which Blu-Ray player and which AV amplifier do you have? Depending on the models, the Blu-Ray may not decode all the HD formats onboard or the amp may not be able to do this etc. which would determine the optimum settings.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
But what if you have a disc with 2 soundtrack options; DTS HD 5.1 and uncompressed PCM 5.1? If you have your player set to bitstream, which soundtrack would you select?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
trevor79:
Now to my ears on my system the soundtrack is much better (greater impact/presence etc ) via bitstream, with the 875 doing the processing.

Except bitstreaming via HDMI from a PS3 you're only getting the standard definition soundtracks - ie DD/DTS 5.1 - and not the HD versions.

With this setting you'll only get HD audio if you've selected the movie's uncompressed PCM soundtrack, where one is offered.

A

Anonymous

pcm everytime, i had the same problem and tried different disks and sound formats and found pcm to be far better

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:But what if you have a disc with 2 soundtrack options; DTS HD 5.1 and uncompressed PCM 5.1? If you have your player set to bitstream, which soundtrack would you select?

Assuming the DTS HD Master Audio track was taken from the same master, the theory says they will both be the same. Experience so far has led me to believe the PCM soundtrack is ever so slightly better. But there isn't a lot in it. Now if they haven't been taken from the same master, it's a whole different kettle of fish.

A

Anonymous

Hi Michael,

"Just on aother point trevor while i notice. you have your centre speaker by wired. do you notice any improvement of just using 2 core? Just i have the B&W HMT 62 which has the four posts but only have L & R on the back of my Onk 806."

I had the centre speaker by wired from new, so cannot compare. But in the past have done so on my stereo systems, and find an improvement to the musicality, not great, but enough to be pleased with the by wiring.

Do so as a matter of course nowadays. Have all my fronts by wired as well as the left and right by amped with Kimber 4TC to the mids and QED SA everywhere else in the system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts