Bi-wiring question

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Each of my speaker cables are currently bi-wired on the speaker end (4 plugs) but combined at the amplifier end (2 plugs). That was because my old amplifier only had one set of speaker terminals. Now that my amplifier has two sets of speaker terminals, would it be worthwhile for me to convert the speaker cables at the amplifier end so that it's truly bi-wired (ie. 4 to 4, rather than 2 to 4)?

A

Anonymous

2 to 4 is biwired, as far as I am aware, if you have A and B front speaeker switch on your amp and connect high lefel to A and low level to B or vice versa, that is bi amping because you are using seperate amplification channels for each level.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="richardjlarby"]if you have A and B front speaeker switch on your amp and connect high lefel to A and low level to B or vice versa, that is bi amping because you are using seperate amplification channels for each level.[/quote]
Unfortunately not: the A and B speaker terminals run off the same amp channels, so you're still only biwiring.

There's no benefit in splitting your 2-to-4 and running it from the A and B terminals - it'll have exactly the same effect as leaving things as they are.

A

Anonymous

What if your amplifier has seperate amplifiers for A and B?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Then it would be biamping, but apart from the odd amp from way back which had four channels for just this purpose - it was called a Quatro or Quattro, but for the life of me I can't remember which British company made it - I don't know of any amps using separate amplifier sections for the Speaker A and Speaker B terminals

EDIT: It was the Lecson Quattra

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Thanks very much, you just saved me buying 8 QED Airlocs, and the hassle of having to switch back to 2 if I were to change my amp to one that only had one set of speaker terminals.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts