Bi wire or not ?

arigo saki

Nov 27, 2021
Visit site
Hi i have AMP NAD320BEE with floor speakers Monitor audio Bronze B4.
I have the option to use it with Bi-wire (I have a pair of audioquest Ft4 cables)
Should i do it ?

abacus

If the cable you are using is not thick enough for your amp power to the speakers, (Go for 2.5mm sq. OFC cable) then yes there may be a difference due to the lower resistance of having the 2 cables in parallel, (You would get the same effect if you used a thicker single wire cable) otherwise no. (Any difference (Assuming you are not performing a level matched double blind test) will most likely be just the placebo effect)
If you already have some cable, than as mentioned above just try them out and stick with the cables that sound best to you. (Whether it is the placebo effect or not is irrelevant if it makes you happy)

Bill

arigo saki

Nov 27, 2021
Visit site
thanks, i understand that not to expect too much from it although i have thick cable.
my normal cables are QED balanced design concept speaker cable and if i want to use Bi wire my other cables will be audioquest slip 14/4 semisolid ( i don't know which one is better)

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Bi wire not really, Bi-amping on the other hand that is something to explore but that beyond the scope of your question. As others have said if you already have the cables and are feeling bored give it a go. You may hear a difference

Gray

Should i do it ?
If you're bored Arigo, then read this:
If you follow and understand what they're saying, then you might think it's a good idea.
If you listen to other opinions you might think it's not a good idea.
In your particular case, you've got twin and 4-core cables, so you're ideally placed to try and see for yourself (y)
I use the Flexslip 14/4 myself. What's it like? The colour matches the carpet perfectly.

Reactions: Al ears

AJM1981

Mar 26, 2021
Visit site
I have biwired a past pair of JPW2 and latterly my Kef iq10 and soon reverted back to single wiring. I found biwiring robs the speaker of midrange definition.

yes, and some like that because they become just a bit more treble focused which give the illusion they sound more clear. But the difference is really small.

Then there are speakers that just don't present any audible differences at all. Was curious and had both the first and the last outcome and decided not to go for bi-wiring at all. Not worth it.

I am sure that.. for the "grills-on speaker users" , taking the grills off presents more of a positive effect than Bi-Wiring will ever do. Even though that is minimal too.

Reactions: manicm

manicm

yes, and some like that because they become just a bit more treble focused which give the illusion they sound more clear. But the difference is really small.

Then there are speakers that just don't present any audible differences at all. Was curious and had both the first and the last outcome and decided not to go for bi-wiring at all. Not worth it.

I am sure that.. for the "grills-on speaker users" , taking the grills off presents more of a positive effect than Bi-Wiring will ever do. Even though that is minimal too.

I always used to listen with grills off, perception of slightly unveiling the sound. B&W recommends it with their speakers. Wharfedale however recommend you leave them on with the Lintons.

Don't think there's any right or wrong there.

I would say no, it makes little or no difference. Only tried once with my Arcam. It was a bit Heath Robinson as I used two different cables: Chord SilverScreen & Odyssey.

As others have said if you own the cables try it out.

Can't do it now as my current amp only has single binding posts.

TRENDING THREADS