Bi wire or not ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

It may well do so but if we could develop a method for measuring the different thickness levels of cerumen in situ, I wonder how many of our 'differences' would be accounted for? ;)
Absolutely no doubt about it.
The difference in frequency and amplitude response from person to person - and even between the same person's two ears, is way, way more than any difference between cables - bi-wired or not.
Any audible difference there may be between cables, pales into insignificance when compared to hearing differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

abacus

If you're not biwiring on double posts, the supplied jumpers can be the biggest hindrance to sound quality out of the box. It's actually beneficial to replace jumpers with small pieces the same as your speaker cable.

The wording of your post can give the impression that it is a fact (Verifiable evidence please) or is it actually just your opinion which everyone is entitled to.

Bill

Reactions: shadders

Gray

If you're not biwiring on double posts, the supplied jumpers can be the biggest hindrance to sound quality out of the box. It's actually beneficial to replace jumpers with small pieces the same as your speaker cable.
Anyone that could readily discern an audible difference between a few inches of metal or wire.....really does have a very special ability - that would really be something to witness in real life.

In what sense please? Throwaway comments like this are not helpful really, and if meant purely to antagonise will promptly be reviewed.
Perhaps it might be pertinent to point out that if a length of cable, as opposed to a metal link of some sort, proved to be better then you might just suppose that the speaker manufacturers might provide them in the form of the same cable they use inside the speakers themselves. The fact that they don't clearly shows what they think.....

....If your links were rusty nails.
Otherwise, with the usually supplied, shiny, gold-plated links.......
I'm very careful how I spend money, but I think I'd pay to witness such golden ears identify metal link or wire.
Quite so, however we are in danger of hijacking a thread here so I will not comment further.
The OPs question was regards the use of a four wire cable and links are a completely different means of achieving a goal.

Tinman1952

Perhaps it might be pertinent to point out that if a length of cable, as opposed to a metal link of some sort, proved to be better then you might just suppose that the speaker manufacturers might provide them in the form of the same cable they use inside the speakers themselves. The fact that they don't clearly shows what they think.....
Well I would like to believe that. Unfortunately for the manufacturer it's often about cost..... cheapest possible components in the crossover, cheap steel (plated) binding posts, cheap metal links....etc. It's not about best sound quality.... check out some GR Research videos.

Well I would like to believe that. Unfortunately for the manufacturer it's often about cost..... cheapest possible components in the crossover, cheap steel (plated) binding posts, cheap metal links....etc. It's not about best sound quality.... check out some GR Research videos.
You are having a laugh I assume. If whatever cheap components are used then that would only destroy their name as a quality speaker manufacturer.
You don't save a penny of two that way. A carp speaker is just that.
They are not going to save a few pennies only to end up with a product that isn't going to sell, that's a nonsense.
You can forget those videos because whatever quality components they happen to use it is the whole speaker that ultimately matters.
And once again this has nothing to do with the OPs question.
Anymore and thread will be locked.

Tinman1952

You are having a laugh I assume. If whatever cheap components are used them that would only destroy their na!e as a quality speaker manufacturers.
You don't save a penny of two that way. A carp speaker is just that.
They are not going to save a few pennies only to end up with a product that isn't going to sell, that's a nonsense.
You can forget those videos because whatever quality components they happen bro use it is the whole speaker that ultimately matters.
And once again this has nothing to do with the OPs question.
Anymore and thread will be locked.
Sorry that is an incredibly naive comment if you have ever looked inside a speaker.....🙄

Sorry that is an incredibly naive comment if you have ever looked inside a speaker.....🙄
It's entirely relevant. No point in running expensive cables up to a point where they become a cheap bit of wire.
Or was that your point, explain please.
If it was why would that speaker ever get reviews good enough for anyone to buy it?
if they wanted to save money then it would be single wiring posts in the first place.
Who is naive here?
I have seen inside many a speaker, fortunately most of them were proud of the components they used in their crossover and everything else.
Have you been unfortunate?

Last edited:

Tinman1952

It's entirely relevant. No point in running expensive cables up to a point where they become a cheap bit of wire.
Or was that your point, explain please.
If it was why would that speaker ever get reviews good enough for anyone to buy it?
if they wanted to save money then it would be single wiring posts in the first place.
Who is naive here?
I have seen inside many a speaker, fortunately most of them were proud of the components they used in their crossover and everything else.
Have you been unfortunate?
My respectful point was that all loudspeakers...even expensive ones are built up to a cost. Unfortunately the internal crossover components and the internal wiring and binding posts are usually where costs are cut...to allow more to be spent on external cabinet appearance and the drivers. That's all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts