admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having recently upgraded my speakers (Spendor S6e) I purchased an extra run of cable recently and used my Arcam Alpha 10 as a pre-amp and Arcam FMJ P35 as power. After some experimentation at the week-end I ended up driving the base (LF) from the alpha 10 and the HF from the P35. This seems to be against popular opinion. I'd be interested if anyone ese had some thought on this. My feeling is that the newer (better) P35 is giving a cleaner output which is better used for high frequencies and the alpha 10 is best used for base driving purposes.

A

Anonymous

I found the same when biamping my rotel stuff. There was far more detail throughout the hi and mid frequencies. The resulting effect was improved grip on female vocals and suprising reduction in the harsh clipping effect at higher volumes. However more playing around found that just using the more powerful poweramp improved overall sound, such as more bass weight. So now my integrated is basically a pre amp only

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Ranglo"]

I found the same when biamping my rotel stuff. There was far more detail throughout the hi and mid frequencies. The resulting effect was improved grip on female vocals and suprising reduction in the harsh clipping effect at higher volumes. However more playing around found that just using the more powerful poweramp improved overall sound, such as more bass weight. So now my integrated is basically a pre amp only

[/quote]

Hi

Just out of interest, what Rotel stuff are you using?

Thanks

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
so if you dont have an amp at all it is then better to buy a pre-amp and a power amp meaning that high,medium,low frequencies all get a better cleaner sound.Is this correct as im considering the intagrated plus power amp together verses pre and power amp.Most likely NAD

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
One good amp will out preform 2 average Bi-amps

The pre/power amps should sound better than a intagrated amp (same price range).

I know I am not answer your question but just a thought
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I would say that separating pre from power does give an overall cleaner sound as the transformer for the power amp doesn't interfere with the pre amplification stage. Also many people on this and other forums suggest that the gain in sound quality from biamping is minimal, especially when used with passive crossovers.

So I would probably recommend trying the C162 pre with the C272 power, however the C372 integrated amplifier by itself may still offer good quality and less cost. Audition and see what you think.http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C162-Stereo-Preamplifier

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Ranglo"]

ra-05 integrated and rb-06 poweramp

[/quote]

Interesting - I'm considering a similar approach as I can't afford/justify buying a new integrated amp that is better than my existing one so adding a power amp seems like a reasonable way forward. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts