Bi amping/ bi wiring HELP!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know, I know ground hog day again. I am reading a manual for the Onkyo 905 which should arrive soon. I thought I had a handle on bi amping/ bi wiring but now I am confused! I have the RS6 speakers and have wired the tweeters and woofers seperately (ending up with four wires- positives and negatives) for each speaker. I was then going to put the postives in one connection on the amp, negatives on the other and thought that was that. Is this correct? In the manual it says you should not connect more than one cable to each speaker connection otherwise it could damage the unit! It then goes onto to say for bi-amping I connect the front L/R terminal posts to the speakers tweeters terminals and the surround back L/R terminal posts to the front speakers woofers. Doing this will give an improved sound but means the system will be a 5.1 not 7.1.

Sorry if this sounds like a confused thread because I am confused!

Cheers for any help.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, for biwiring you do connect to the same terminals, and you could get round the problem by connecting both wires into one plug at the amp end - ie both + into one plug, and both - into another for each speaker.

The biamping option allows you to reallocate two of the amp modules - the pair usually driving the surround back speakers - to also drive the front L/R speakers, allowing one amp channel for each of the sections of the speakers. But of course this does mean you can now only do 5.1-channel operation.

A further twist is that the 905, like the 875, can be bridged to deliver much more power to the front two channels. Basically this uses one amp channel to push and the other to pull - in very very simple terms! - to give something like three times as much power to the front stereo channels. But then you can only use the amp in stereo...

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Any idea why the manual would say to NOT put more than one cable to each speaker terminal as it may damage the receiver (because isn't that what I need to do to bi-wire)?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Presumably it means damage in the physical sense rather than the electronics sense, as too thick a bundle of wire might cause damage to the terminals, as opposed to terminal damage. If you 'common' your two cables into a single banana plug, or use plugs designed to stack, you'll have no problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts