BFA Speaker connection- Please Help !!!!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am being a bit thick. I have my speakers connected via Chord Silverscreen cable terminated Banana Plugs at present but have bought a Cyrus Pre Vs2 and 8 Power combo. The Cyrus has BFA connectors but I want to keep the banana plugs attached to plug in to my Arcam receiver when required.

Is there an adapter that allows you to plug banana plugs into the BFA plug connected to the Cyrus?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the information, it very much appreciated.

Cheers.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I am being thicker than bemused I think! What are BFA plugs? I had to cut off the banana plugs off my existing speaker cables as they wouldn't fit through the speaker holes on my Onkyo receiver. So I have got bare wire wrapped around the binding posts.

I have got some QED revelation cables on the way and I don't really want to cut the banana plugs off those. Would these BFA adapters do the job for me or would I need to cut the banana plugs off and fix spade connectors?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, they wouldn't help you at all.

The BFA connector is a safety plug/socket system designed in the wake of EU rulings effectively outlawing standard 4mm banana sockets on products. The BFA design uses a sleeve rather than a pin on the plug, fitting onto a pin rather than in a sleeve on the product.

Manufacturers such as Cyrus, Arcam and Linn used or are using this connection; others responded by blocking the 4mm sockets in their speaker terminals with blanking plugs.

On the Onkyo, as on other AV amps, standard 4mm banana plugs can be fitted after pulling out the blanking plugs to reveal the 4mm socket. The instruction manuals don't tell you how to do this, because they're not allowed to, for the safety reasons mentioned above.

But I'm surprised your retailer didn't explain how to do this - you didn't need to hack off those plugs and use bare wires after all.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you Andrew.

Damn it I did the same with cables to my Denon DM37 as well! At least I know what to do when my new cables arrive.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
The Ixos 222 BFA plugs should solve this problem: they attach to the banana plug using grub-screws, and then just plug into the BFA terminal.

Or this ebay seller has adapters, too...

Hi, I have the same problem, I have Cyrus with BFA inputs for speakers, and I would like to use normal banana connectors, hence I am looking for an BFA plug adapter which can accept normal banana speaker connectors such as those:

http://www.av4home.co.uk/acatalog/QED-Screwloc-banana-plugs.jpg

Would you also link it with ebay seller and ebay item, but could you write the search term as the listing from your post has expired.

Thank you

A

Anonymous

Thank you Big Chris.

I presume this is the link: http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=5706&customer_id=PAA2824069810128LUTVZDZSYXXIGVUY

So Andrew, the IXOS 222 can be used as a link/adaptor between cyrus 8 and normal banana speaker plugs? And I guess IXOS is the same product as this Russ Andrews?

Thanks

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:I'm sure I suggested some further back up the thread...

I'm sure you did too. Just pointing out an alternative point of sale if the OP doesn't use eBay.

It's all about the choice.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts