Beyerdynamic DT880

SteveR750

Thanks to several forum members, random Amazon customers and a host of web reviews I decided to buy a pair of these, in 250 Ohm flavour. I already have some ageing Grado SR80, a pair of Sennheiser IE80 and I'd impulse bought some Sennheiser Momentum on-ears. I've been mainly using the IE80s with my Galaxy S3 phone as a portable player when travelling, and having livced alone for the most part of the week in my own house rarely used them, and certainly not in my main system. I've moved in with my partner and her family, so a decent pair of phones was always going to be required. Whuilst the IE80s are sensitive enough to be just about loud enough to drown out a pair of Pratt & Whitneys at take off thrust, they have always been overly bass boomy to me, and somewhat grainy in the upper mids, but that is probably as much as a fault of the source.

I also listened to my sons AKG 550, and much preferred their flatter more even musical response than the momentums, so they quickly went back. The Grados ear pieces have long since disintegrated, so I have just bought a pair of replacement foam doughnuts.

I'm not going to wax on about the tonality of the DT880s, they've been around long enough and reviewed enough times for that to be easy to determine, but the sonic characteristics that I noticed as much as their tonal balance is their handling of microdynamics, and the effect this has on musicality and rhythm of the track. Sure they are slightly bright (but I like that), far from bass heavy, but flat and extended which does not suit a lot of people; but the sense of drama, pace and sheer dynamism is astounding. In comparison, the IE80s are bloated, slow and pondersous; the upper bass just obscures the midrange detail and robs it of delicacy and scale; and then the grainy upper mids just grate and detract from the music. The Grados with their new pads are better, but they are simply way too bright, the treble being overly brash and slightly sibilant. The bass too appears to be stronger and fuller than the DT880s, but in fact it's not, it too is over exagerated, though more extended than the IE80.

Detail of course is there in spades, I've just spent an hour listening to several very familiar Pink Floyd tracks, and I can hear more of the background conversations than ever before, but it's the way that the music swells and descends that is most impressive. All of this using my humble (but vastly underrated) Dacmagic +, so goodness knows what the 600 ohm version would be like with a top quality headphone amp. I was in two minds whether to bother writing yet another review of possibly the most reviewed phones on the planet, but I'm really that impressed i had to share it!

I've rtied them also with a Dacmagic XS, which struggles unsurprisingly to generate a lot of volume, but the same sonic traits are present. I'm waiting for the beyerdynamic DT880 A200 portable DAC amp, which I'm hoping will transform the S3 / galaxy tab pro for general around the house listening.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Glad you like them Steve. As I said to you, they are undoubtedly one of the very best headphones around, even at £1,000 you won't get more than a micro better. Listen to some Tracy Chapman or Roberta Flack and they will bang. If there are more faithful and simply cloudlike headphones around at this price then I would like to hear them. To my mind they are better than the more expensive Tesla T70 model.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on your new Beyerdynamics. I recently purchased some DT 770 250 ohms and they are the best headphones I've ever had.

If you enjoy yours as I do mine you'll find it difficult to take them off!

Hi there, I've been through about a dozen headphones in the last couple of years. I too bought the DT 770 250Ohm version and used it amped/DAC. I like it so much I've bought a pair of 250Ohm DT 990s just to compare it! They're on their way as I write, so it will be an interesting comparator.

Enjoy.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You'll like the 990s, they are very similar indeed to the 880s with just a touch more space as you'd expect from open backed.

...pleased about that. They're here so I'll be giving them some stick tonight and will report in. Interested to know why you only sell the Premium and not the Pros? Given the price differential I would have thought the Pros much more popular.

Thanks.

Geddy. *biggrin*

Edit: Half an hour in, wonderful soundstage, quite dark, no sibilance in the treble as per some reviews. Wonderfully laid back listen. Ooze quality. Unfortunately there was some distortion in the left channel during quiet moments - they've gone back for a replacement.

I'm not sure if the required comparative increase in volume against the DT 770 is a fault or just because they're open-backed. Interested in any technical thoughts please. Thank you.

SteveR750

hybridauth_Facebook_100000759563588 said:
...pleased about that. They're here so I'll be giving them some stick tonight and will report in. Interested to know why you only sell the Premium and not the Pros? Given the price differential I would have thought the Pros much more popular.

Thanks.

Geddy. *biggrin*

Edit: Half an hour in, wonderful soundstage, quite dark, no sibilance in the treble as per some reviews. Wonderfully laid back listen. Ooze quality. Unfortunately there was some distortion in the left channel during quiet moments - they've gone back for a replacement.

I'm not sure if the required comparative increase in volume against the DT 770 is a fault or just because they're open-backed. Interested in any technical thoughts please. Thank you.

They're both same sensitivity at 96dB/1mW, depends on which model / impedance of the 770s you have - they came in either 80 ohm or 250 Ohm. The 990s are only 32 Ohm, so they will be louder providing your headphone amp is up to it.

SteveR750

The 880s are burning in nicely, I can't stop listeing to them. Even plugged into a portable dac amp in my phone or laptop with spotify they sound so beguilign, drawing you in. The best comment I have read was an amazon reviewer who wrote, first impressions were where has the bass gone? the answer is exactly where it should be. They are far from bass light, it just doesn't overpower the mid range but these things punch harder than any phones I've listened to.

If the 990s are even more open sounding then they must be a 3D image fanatics dream.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
The 880s are burning in nicely, I can't stop listeing to them. Even plugged into a portable dac amp in my phone or laptop with spotify they sound so beguilign, drawing you in. The best comment I have read was an amazon reviewer who wrote, first impressions were where has the bass gone? the answer is exactly where it should be. They are far from bass light, it just doesn't overpower the mid range but these things punch harder than any phones I've listened to.

If the 990s are even more open sounding then they must be a 3D image fanatics dream.

There is very very little discernable difference between the 880 and 990 Steve. Both lovely :)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I wanted you to reply first. Would it be fair to say that the 990s create more drama in the music? Perhaps also have an ability to relax you to the point of closed-eyes joy?

JoelSim said:
I wanted you to reply first. Would it be fair to say that the 990s create more drama in the music? Perhaps also have an ability to relax you to the point of closed-eyes joy?

Not so much drama, for me, but you do begin to forget they're on to be honest! Just the fluidity of the presentation. Most of what I listen is less than relaxing, though I know know what you mean!

BigMartin

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Beyerdynamic! It's definitely one brand which doesn't get that much praise from the average headphones buyer (mainly because they don't know about it and end up spending a lot of trash like Beats).

The DT-880s at that price particular shows a top top value!!

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
BigMartin said:
I'm a big fan of Beyerdynamic! It's definitely one brand which doesn't get that much praise from the average headphones buyer (mainly because they don't know about it and end up spending a lot of trash like Beats).

The DT-880s at that price particular shows a top top value!!

Me too! I've been a long time Sennheiser fan, but I love my DT 770 & DTX 101iE.

I rather like that 'normal' people don't know about them, it's funny when people look at you with a blank expression if headphones ever come into conversation. :D

Everyone's all about Beats and Bose...

SteveR750

sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'm trying to find an upgrade beyond the DT880. I'm not getting rid of them, but they leak so much they're not very sociable. Are there any IEMs that are similarly good/better at sensibe money, or maybe some seald phones - Dale had recommended some 1More MK801 phones recently, are they really that good?

I'm still using my Klipsch x11e which are quite different from the DT880s but I do enjoy them, and use them most often with my phone. I do like their bass performnace which is full and strong, but not as detailed and as agile as the Beyers of course.

Ideally, and new pair of phones has an impedance >50 Ohms <250 ohms unless a sensitivity over 100dB/mW

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'm trying to find an upgrade beyond the DT880. I'm not getting rid of them, but they leak so much they're not very sociable. Are there any IEMs that are similarly good/better at sensibe money, or maybe some seald phones - Dale had recommended some 1More MK801 phones recently, are they really that good?

I'm still using my Klipsch x11e which are quite different from the DT880s but I do enjoy them, and use them most often with my phone. I do like their bass performnace which is full and strong, but not as detailed and as agile as the Beyers of course.

Ideally, and new pair of phones has an impedance >50 Ohms <250 ohms unless a sensitivity over 100dB/mW

The 1more are nowhere near the Beyers in sound quality. Beyer's new headphones like the DT1770, DT1990, and the Amiron are probably the best choices. Off the top of my head I don't recall which are open or closed. The only IEM I have now is the Sennheiser AMBEO, which also has mics for recording high-quality binaural sound. Even ignoring the recording aspect, it's a great IEM for playing music.

SteveR750

dalethorn said:
SteveR750 said:

The 1more are nowhere near the Beyers in sound quality. Beyer's new headphones like the DT1770, DT1990, and the Amiron are probably the best choices. Off the top of my head I don't recall which are open or closed. The only IEM I have now is the Sennheiser AMBEO, which also has mics for recording high-quality binaural sound. Even ignoring the recording aspect, it's a great IEM for playing music.

Thanks for the info Dale, I've got the 1770 and the Amiron on my list. Any other IEMs that might be worth considering? Waht about the 770 Pro 80 Ohm version, in your opinion how do they compare to the DT880s that I have?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
dalethorn said:
SteveR750 said:

Thanks for the info Dale, I've got the 1770 and the Amiron on my list. Any other IEMs that might be worth considering? Waht about the 770 Pro 80 Ohm version, in your opinion how do they compare to the DT880s that I have?

In the lower-price tier, I like the Thinksound wood IEMs. Other than those and the Senn IE800 and my current AMBEO, I find other mid-price IEMs too harsh - at least those that I've purchased. The Beyer DT770 Pro is somewhat dark, and has an almost cavernous sound, probably due to the earcups not being as well-damped as the more expensive 1770, Amiron, etc. BTW, a website called headfonia tests lots and lots of IEMs, and their reviewers are very good at what they do, but the great thing is the discussions are minimal, so you don't have to wade through hundreds of pages of irrelevant chat to read what the knowledgeable folks have to say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts