Best way to connect my Apple (or any PC) to my amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have an Imac which I would like to connect to my new amp (Cyrus 8vs) and I'm wondering the best way of doing it. All my music files are Apple Lossless so the quality's pretty good. At the moment I have it wired to my old amp by a slightly better than basic lead plugged in to the mini headphone socket, it's about 3 metres away. Is this the best way or would an Airport Express or anything else be a better bet and give better sound? Thanks in advance for any advice.

A

Anonymous

It only has the usual usb, firewire and headphone socket. It's a recent imac.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
Do you have a Ethernet output? Maybe you could look at a squeezebox as a solution? You would need to run the slim server software on your apple. The squeezebox had a good DAC (by normal CD player standards) which is probably better then the DAC on your soundcard. See this Link . I am not sure if the wired (Ethernet only) version is still available but if its is then this should be cheaper then the wifi (has Ethernet as well) one.

A

Anonymous

Interesting but a bit more cash than I was thinking of spending. The Airport Express is only £65 but the Squeezebox is £185.

DNICE1

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="superjimbo"]It only has the usual usb, firewire and headphone socket. It's a recent imac.[/quote]

Try an external soundcard. M-Audio Audiophile USB is good and is compatible with Mac OS 9 and OS X. It can also handle 24 bit 96Khz if you want to upsample your audio. It will provide you with normal analog phono out sockets to connect to your amp.

I have seen it selling for about £89 at DV247.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts