Best sub under £300.....

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
Maxflinn,

What rear speakers do you use....they are not mentioned in your 'signature'.....
none at present pete, i had monitor audio bronze brfx's, but i always had them set to bipole as dipole doesnt sound as good. i sold them a few weeks ago along with the brw10 sub. i figured id be better off with normal bookshelf speakers, ill probably get a pair of ma bx1's for rears, or maybe some b stock radience 1's..

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Although the price is good, Radiance 1's can sound unrefined in the midrange, supposedly.....( see review)

Thought you might be tempted by the RXFX's.....to match the rest?

A

Anonymous

i dont think there's any point getting more dipole speakers pete, if i were tempted to complete the set id go for a pair of rx1 rears, but they are e400 and there aint no way i can justify that for rears right now..

i read the whfi radience 1 review, 4 stars is still very good, there are a few other reviews out there too, not specifically about the r1, but the radience av pack, in which the r1's are mentioned in a very good light. anyways a pair of them would cost me around e330 delivered, still too much for rears really.. no im pretty sure ill get the bx1's in walnut, e170 locally.. job done..

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Cool....sounds like a plan.....
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

ive got my sub sitting on the supplied rubber feet on a solid tiled floor, i wonder should i have it on the spikes instead? jim, pete, anyone?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Mine's was on a granite tile, that has rubber feet, but I'm using the spikes......

Saying that, I didn't try the rubber feet.....

New one tomorrow morning!!!!

A

Anonymous

Spikes will damage floors if they are not carpet and wont be stable on tile, mine is on a tile above carpet and I have the rubber feet on it.

Its more stable, and it being solid on the ground, better sound, But thats just me

A

Anonymous

my rx6's are on spikes on the same tiled floor and they're fine,very stable.. a sub will move, vibrate alot more though i guess, i suppose the only way to know whats best is to try it..

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I wish I were contemplating such things. Royal Mail tried to deliver my Radiance sub ten minutes after I went out this afternoon. Now it wont be delivered till Friday (since I no longer own a car, collection is not an option). Not catastrophic, of course, nor is it Royal Mail's fault I had to go out, it's just annoying.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
It'll be worth the wait......

I saw my friendly Parcelforce guy today, and he'll be at my door around 11.30am tomorrow to do the swap.....(assume AE gets the right day, as asked for!!)

Which reminds me...must pack up the broken sub ready for the swap.......
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash:I wish I were contemplating such things. Royal Mail tried to deliver my Radiance sub ten minutes after I went out this afternoon. Now it wont be delivered till Friday (since I no longer own a car, collection is not an option). Not catastrophic, of course, nor is it Royal Mail's fault I had to go out, it's just annoying.
i was a little luckier, id missed the courier who came at 11am last friday, i got home at 4pm and rang the number on his calling card, he was only ten minutes away and dropped it over.. he said it would have been monday if id rang him ten min later..it'll be worth the wait strapped..

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
"it'll be worth the wait strapped.."

Yep, I'll live; but if the delivery van had pulled up ten minutes earlier I could be twiddling notch filters right now (not sure how that should be interpreted)!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
One more day using the QA sub.........
emotion-4.gif

My replacement Radiance has been delayed by 24hrs........
emotion-5.gif
(There is a moral to this story!!! Always deal with a female....
emotion-3.gif
)

A

Anonymous

hi there im interested in buying the ae radiance sub but not too sure what colour to get. does anyone thats bought one have a picture of it so i can see what it looks like in real life

thanks

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Not sure how a picture will help, when I assume you have seen pictures on the net from shops selling these subs?

If you haven't, google it and have a look........
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

First things first, im extremely impressed with AEJIM's responses on here. I have never experienced a manager of a brand giveing such honest advice and general chit chat without predjudice to other brands. I bought my first installement of acoustic energy speakers about 3 years ago, starting with the AE NEO 3's and then proceeded to buy the matching center and sub, then the aelite 2 bookself speakers x2 pairs. The neo 3's were b stock but imaculate! For the purpose of this thread, the neo 8 sub, pretty much identical to the radiance sub is a heck of a sub. It works seamlessly with my ae kit and is fast paced and enough punch to knock your head back. If the radiance is pretty much a face lift option you wont be dissapointed.

TRENDING THREADS