Best electronics for Monitor Audio Silver 1 speakers

SatelliteMan

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,

I've got a pair of the aforementioned speakers, coupled with an ancient NAD C320, and a Marantz 5004. It's getting time to upgrade the electronics, I think. The NAD, predictably, is warm-sounding and pleasant enough. However, a slightly more dynamic and brighter sound would be nice. I also wonder if money would be spent on a more refined-sounding cd player. I recently hooked up a Philips cd624, originally sold in 1991, and although ill defined in the lower reaches, was very transparent with vocals. It made my Marantz sounds overly hard and a bit unnatural. Although the old Philips has too many bad points due to its age, it made me realise that the Silver 1s are capable of some spacious and amazing vocals. OK, that's quite a lot to mull over, but I basically want to bring the best out of these Monitors. I would spend up to £600 for a product which makes a dramatic difference, be it an amp or cd player.

Thanks for reading. Any suggestions welcome!

Chris

SatelliteMan

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Esra said:
I would try the NAD D 3020 with your MA Silvers.IMO the D Series NAD are a superb combination with the Monitor Audio Silver Line.
Thanks for that Esra. I have considered the D3020, though I've not yet heard it. It's a bold step, aesthetically from the norm. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and a gentleman in Sevenoaks in Cambridge once suggested it to me.

rainsoothe

matthewpiano said:
At that price point, you won't find a better amp than the Rega Brio-R. It is beautifully musical and involving. I'd strongly recommend auditioning one with the MA speakers to see if you like it.

Yes, you will, it's the Arcam A19. Just kidding, but the point is that different people like different stuff, just like I found the Brio R irrelevant and love the A19. OP should consider the Rega Brio-R, Arcam A19, Nad D3020, Cambridge Audio CXA 60, Exposure 2010S2, Quad Vena - even Marantz PM6005 is seriously worth considering (and could use the optical out of the CD5004 into the PM6005 DAC, which will sound much better)

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I've heard the Silver 1's bass can be a little unruly with the bass (not sure what your take would be on that?), so might need an oomphy amp to keep the bass nice and tight.

As for the tweeters, I think they're spectacularly good. I've shared these tweeters on the various MA Radius models I've owned. I've never heard a piano note struck so faithfully as with these tweeters.

Do you have plenty of space around the Silvers? Do you tend to use the port bungs?

SatelliteMan

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Leeps said:
I've heard the Silver 1's bass can be a little unruly with the bass (not sure what your take would be on that?), so might need an oomphy amp to keep the bass nice and tight.

As for the tweeters, I think they're spectacularly good. I've shared these tweeters on the various MA Radius models I've owned.  I've never heard a piano note struck so faithfully as with these tweeters.

Do you have plenty of space around the Silvers? Do you tend to use the port bungs?
Thanks for all your replies. This gives me much to consider. To answer your questions, Leeps:
I don't find the Silver 1s at all unruly with the bass. Perhaps my old NAD C320 is not even pushing them hard enough in the bass frequencies. I can tell they are capable of great extension, when I turn the bass tone control way up. However, by this point, the sound is bloated and slow. A more attacking amplifier with more low end defintion is in order. I want more bass, but the fast, grumbling sort with texture and speed.
As for situ, the speakers are in Atacama 6 stands about 6 feet apart, each side of my TV, all arranged about a corner. They are both about 30cm from any wall. I don't use the bungs, as I found this hampered bass extension and volume. I should probably drop a bombshell at this point. Lurking behind all this is a BK monlith plus. Some of you might know what that is! I use it minimally, so it doesn't step on the toes of the Monitors. That's another thread, perhaps!

SatelliteMan

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
ID. said:
I'd want to audition the Arcam A19. Arcam always seems to have such a spacious, airy presentation. 
About a year ago, I got an ex-demo A19 on home trial from Richer Sounds. I tried it at home and took it back the next day. The midrange was absolutely stunning. I heard details on Sarah McLachlans Afterglow, which I had no idea were there. This is one of my reference discs, alongside Metallica's Black album. Listen to it and you'll understand why! Unfortunately, I found the overall presentation garishly bright, and rather dispersed. In hindsight, it was an unfair test of the amp, since I was, at the time, living in a converted chapel with 10 feet high ceilings in a 25ft long open plan living space. Neither the amp or my speakers were going to fill a space like that, and I'd be pushing the system rather hard. I now live in a sensible ground-floor flat, and that set up might now be heaven. I can't rule out the A19. I've never heard mids like that from a home stereo since.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts