Best electronic album of 2017

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Vladimir said:
What more is there, be specific.
There’s layers and layers to their music. There was a track that I never even knew had words until I came upon the “lyrics” on a webpage once. Some of the words that are spoken aren’t what they seem - some words are actually other words backwards. There’s small sounds that are only brought to your attention when played on a revealing system. I can almost guarantee that when I sit down to seriously listen an album of theirs, I’ll hear something new, which is one reason to keep me going back.

BoCpages is a Wikipedia type site with pages and pages of information about them, their tracks, and their albums, which lists the the samples used and their origins, their possible meanings, as well as the general themes used, like numbers, colours, and shapes.

http://bocpages.org/wiki/About

What BoC isn’t, is a collection of tracks with the same timing and same beat that all sound the same. As I say, repeated listening reveals their complexity, but it’s not something that everyone gets, particularly if they only listen a couple of times and decided it’s all boring. I’m trying to think of an analogy, and the only thing I can think of at the moment is Formula One, which is what it is because of lots of small complex things, which make F1 exciting or boring, depending on any one individual’s understanding of the sport. Those that don’t get F1 just think it’s a bunch of cars going round a track.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Music isn’t complex as that connotes an idea only some can get it, and music is non exclusive. You either get it or not.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blank music, blank meanings, blank minds, blank responses.

SHNK3WeLDi0PC.gif

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Music isn’t complex as that connotes an idea only some can get it, and music is non exclusive. You either get it or not.

I thought it was about slurping a Segafredo in the ski lodge?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
Vladimir said:
Blank music, blank meanings, blank minds, blank responses.
That’s what I thought of Spektre when I had a listen earlier. But hey, if we all liked the same thing...

Me too. I don't listen to it seeking abstract meaning. I like the energy and hype.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Electro said:
Vladimir said:
No. I need neurosurgeon to fix my boredom with nu jazz and ambient chill.

As you get older you will learn to appreciate them more. *yes3* *biggrin*

I started with them in my adolescence so I'm appreciating them less and less. *unknw*

You mean that you don't like this ! *shok*

https://open.spotify.com/track/67w2qn6TkVXndWhQDXfGqm

Or this .

https://open.spotify.com/track/78uolTCbtbkQKZ97uHqNRf

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
Vladimir said:
Electro said:
Vladimir said:
No. I need neurosurgeon to fix my boredom with nu jazz and ambient chill.

As you get older you will learn to appreciate them more. *yes3* *biggrin*

I started with them in my adolescence so I'm appreciating them less and less. *unknw*

You mean that you don't like this ! *shok*

https://open.spotify.com/track/67w2qn6TkVXndWhQDXfGqm

Or this .

https://open.spotify.com/track/78uolTCbtbkQKZ97uHqNRf

It's just meh. I crave disturbance in the force, like this.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
Reminds me of the Jazz Club sketch on The Fast Show where they’re on stage just being random, and John Thompson frowning at the camera with a ‘WTF is this’ expression on his face!

You need some Cactus Truck for the full effect.

Old school jazz is head > solos of each player > maybe joined interlude > then they go out and it's done. But what if everyone had a solo during the whole song and nothing else?

"Jazz is there and gone. It happens. You have to be present for it. That simple." - Keith Jarrett

Bolddoggie

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
The album by Tosca (going going going) keeps standing out for me.

What does everyone reckon of those issued this year if you are into this genre?

I am loving I and I by the thievery corporation.. it is a cracker and well worth a spin,

Cheers.

insider9

Vladimir said:
When the man with the plastic saxophone played Lonely Woman in 1959, everyone thought he was crazy and his music unlistenable. 
Love this album. My wife still thinks it's unlistenable (not she hadn't been around that long)

But how come we're discussing Ornette Coleman on this thread?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Or could just as well be talking about anything on any thread, the way it often swings on this forum sometimes.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
When the man with the plastic saxophone played Lonely Woman in 1959, everyone thought he was crazy and his music unlistenable.
Love this album. My wife still thinks it's unlistenable (not she hadn't been around that long)

But how come we're discussing Ornette Coleman on this thread?

Just a passe mention. Not a fork in the discussion. Please do carry on proposing your favorite electronic albums of 2017.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
Return of GAS with the sublime album Narkopop, or Amongst The Stars by Intrusion is epic. Both get my vote.

Are you intentionally torturing Quest? That's not at all musical or compatible with espresso shots.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I think 2017 has been a bit dry for exeptionally good Electronic music.

2016 on the other hand was a much better vintage, I will post some if you don't mind, unless you would rather stick tp 2017 ?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Electro said:
I think 2017 has been a bit dry for exeptionally good Electronic music.

2016 on the other hand was a much better vintage, I will post some if you don't mind, unless you would rather stick tp 2017 ?

good idea, but hopefully not that type of elevator music. Something as good as kettle and secede please.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts