Best electronic album of 2017

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The album by Tosca (going going going) keeps standing out for me.

What does everyone reckon of those issued this year if you are into this genre?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Lowley - Heba , is one of my favorites of 2017.

It's not pure electronic but enough to be included I think.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7rZcolAGtrz31CxSTRM4TH

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Vladimir said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
The album by Tosca (going going going) keeps standing out for me.

It's just meh.

i really like it as an album, right up there with ‘suzuki’ : this is a Review I did elsewhere ;

Tosca - Going Going Going (released 10/2/2017) -

Style : electronic, downtempo

This is the seventh album of Rupert Huber and Richard Dorfmeister around 20 years after they formed.

The music fits into an electronic and downtempo style, and being one of my favourite music styles I've always taken notice of what this group produce, which is typically a little bit different each time. Richard Dorfmeister has his own huge reputation in his own right from his early works, collaborations on other projects including Peace Orchestra. But this album is going back to Tosca’s roots.

It starts off with the track ‘export import’ which came out before the album was released, which has a very deep bass-line and nice guitar rhythm to set the tempo. The use of electronic sampling is prevalent throughout in the mid section, with vocal sampling too, before the bass line comes back in with the ‘quick step’ drop down drum beat Tosca often use to split the tracks into component parts. Loads of reverb comes into the sound. A really pleasing disco anthem that crosses genres a bit.

Then on ‘Hausner’ there is a really lazy guitar bass line with other guitars and an organ sounding synthesiser, coming back much to the traditional chill out Tosca sound, which then perpetuates through the album. Loads of reverbing synths. The track ambles along nicely and towards the end is a really pleasing section.

I love the way the track ‘Friday’ starts with the sound of an organ playing before the track comes in proper, and it's more of Tosca reverbed synths and faster beats, and use of guitars. ‘Wo-tan’ is more of the same but I'm not that keen on ‘chin-bar’ which is a little bit flatter and less dynamic than other tracks. ‘Loveboat’ is a nice pleasing dynamic rolling track, with ‘Tommy’ being good too.

Then onto ‘supersunday’ which is probably one of the best tracks on the album. Starting with a nice piano, it develops into a faster repeating electronic track more akin to a techno record initially, before a Tosca bass-line comes in, then a double bass in the middle, lots of sampling, and guitars. With everything going on at once and so many layers in the music it's hugely rhythmically pleasing.

I also like the track Dr Dings as one of the albums best, a nice ambling guitar with handheld drum, and a track which skips along nicely and another good chill out track. ‘Olympia’ sounds a bit like something vangelis would write with nice sweeping sound. Lastly ‘shoulder angel’ is a nice trippy track with the way the synths contrast with each other to paint a pleasing tune. I think the only track with a vocal, but this is electronic music after all.

There are no bad tracks on this album for me. Each track is very pleasing in the way Tosca mesh sampling, guitars, rich thick bass lines, ‘quick step’ beats, into a pleasing whole. It's clearly well written and there are lovely pleasing loops and melodies to the tracks, and awesome rhythms, that just make you want to play this repetitively initially. It also really tests the dynamics, stereo imaging and speed of your hi fi. If you like dance and electronic genres this is one for you.

I thought the album ‘suzuki’ by Tosca was their best but this album is right up there and arguably better, it's maybe Tosca's best work. It's definitely better than JAC which I also like. Tosca might be an old group but as a new electronic album that's come out in 2017, it's hugely talented for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's at the top of many record shop and industry awards best of album lists of 2017. It's not quite of a type to be totally new and influential of other genres, because the style has been done by Tosca before, but it's slightly different to other Tosca albums and is very well written.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

It is a grower I found, like suzuki too. Ps Marconi union are more ambient whereas Tosca are faster and more chill out trip hoppy, getting played in lots of cafes, lounges, ski resorts - that type of thing.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

BigH said:
Muzak, hmmm I would keep quiet about that.

just giving a description on differences, not which is better, as that’s always down to taste.

insider9

QuestForThe13thNote said:
It is a grower I found, like suzuki too. Ps Marconi union are more ambient whereas Tosca are faster and more chill out trip hoppy, getting played in lots of cafes, lounges, ski resorts - that type of thing. 
As you know I gave it 6/10 after first listen. After a few more sadly it doesn't float my boat. I think it was the fact I don't usually listen to electronic music that made it more appealing at first. It didn't grow on me, in fact the opposite happened.

I do however use Export Import to show off my system to people who like that kind of music.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Do you like anything in this genre insider?. Dance/electronic whether trip hop, house, trance, techno etc. Any albums bought this year if so.

I suppose music is very much a generational thing. I don’t know much in the 70s or 80s as that’s not when my tastes were cultivated. I wouldn’t be able to get my grandad to like smack your ***** up by the prodigy for instance. Lol.

insider9

I don't. I hardly ever listen to electronic or dance music. I gave it a try and it sounded ok the first time. It would make it more appealing if there was vocals.

I'm listening to FKA Twigs now. Not something I'd usually listen to but rather enjoyable whether it's because it's different not yet sure. Considering it's a debut album it's definitely a good effort.

insider9

I don't. I hardly ever listen to electronic or dance music. I gave it a try and it sounded ok the first time. It would make it more appealing if there was vocals.

I'm listening to FKA Twigs now. Not something I'd usually listen to but rather enjoyable whether it's because it's different not yet sure. Considering it's a debut album it's definitely a good effort.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Electro said:
Lowley - Heba , is one of my favorites of 2017.

It's not pure electronic but enough to be included I think.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7rZcolAGtrz31CxSTRM4TH

ive been listening to this and think it’s quite a good album on the whole. I was slightly put off by the vocal on the starting track because it’s a very commercial sounding one, but when you go at the whole album there is variation in the music and melodies. It’s kind of dreamey pop, a genre I’m getting into more especially after the ‘cigarettes after sex’ album and Japanese breakfast albums, two new first albums. This album gets better as it gets to the middle imho.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

An album I bought the other day by The belbury Circle -outward journeys, is a new one to me and a new album that came out this year. Some good tunes on this album. Would recommend to anyone who likes the electronic dance genre.

Also the reissued leftism album this year with remixes on it, and thievery corporation- the temple of i and (Regae by tcs trademark sound) are good albums. LCD soundsystem album which is more electro rock.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
First track (Phat & Small) after the countdown samples one of my favorite NY scene producers Armand Van Helden's - U don't know me (2 Future 4 U, 1998)

MI0000218945.jpg

Musical enough for you, Quest?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Vladimir said:
First track (Phat & Small) after the countdown samples one of my favorite NY scene producers Armand Van Helden's - U don't know me (2 Future 4 U, 1998)

Musical enough for you, Quest?

i didn’t like that, sorry. I don’t think we have that much in common with music tastes except some of those on your electronic list. I like stuff that’s talented.

In 1998 i was listening to stuff like; boards of Canada (music has a right to children), the verve (urban hymms) and air (moon safari)

Hay Vlad were you a raver in a previous life?

I used to do a bit back in the late eighties,early nineties but can I remember the tunes from back then.....some days a tune will come into my head and I can't remember who done them...in those days there was so many mixes knocking about that more often than not the names of the artists weren't that important it was just some bangin tunes....oh the nostalgia of it all...oh and my local rave venue was the hanger 13 in Ayr...it closed down due to a spate of drug related deaths....or should I say the licence was never extended but it was the best in Scotland back in the day.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:

I used to do a bit back in the late eighties,early nineties but can I remember the tunes from back then.....some days a tune will come into my head and I can't remember who done them...in those days there was so many mixes knocking about that more often than not the names of the artists weren't that important it was just some bangin tunes....oh the nostalgia of it all...oh and my local rave venue was the hanger 13 in Ayr...it closed down due to a spate of drug related deaths....or should I say the licence was never extended but it was the best in Scotland back in the day.

Indeed, if you can remember the early 90's rave scene you weren't there..... Great times - I think

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Sure, I liked doing parties, clubs, DJed a bit, organized events. I followed the electronic music scene. That's the only time I bought vinyl and used TT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts