Best electronic album of 2017

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Hay Vlad were you a raver in a previous life?

I used to do a bit back in the late eighties,early nineties but can I remember the tunes from back then.....some days a tune will come into my head and I can't remember who done them...in those days there was so many mixes knocking about that more often than not the names of the artists weren't that important it was just some bangin tunes....oh the nostalgia of it all...oh and my local rave venue was the hanger 13 in Ayr...it closed down due to a spate of drug related deaths....or should I say the licence was never extended but it was the best in Scotland back in the day.

Indeed, if you can remember the early 90's rave scene you weren't there..... Great times - I think

1997-2004 was the peak for me enjoying and loving electronic music.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Vladimir said:
First track (Phat & Small) after the countdown samples one of my favorite NY scene producers Armand Van Helden's - U don't know me (2 Future 4 U, 1998)

Musical enough for you, Quest?

i didn’t like that, sorry. I don’t think we have that much in common with music tastes except some of those on your electronic list. I like stuff that’s talented.

In 1998 i was listening to stuff like; boards of Canada (music has a right to children), the verve (urban hymms) and air (moon safari)

People who listened to Tosca and 'ski lodge music' were the bud of the joke back in the day. *mosking* But you enjoy whatever makes you happy buddy. It's all gone to **** a decade ago anyway.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I’d say it’s better than it’s been for a while at the moment Vlad. It’s just a case of investing time to sit down to albums all the way through. I’ve bought at least 20 very good albums this year. I don’t think the chill out electronic genre with likes of Tosca, kruder and Dorfmeister etc, as a progression of early house and electronic music really got itself on the map until the end of the nineties, start of the noughties, so it didn’t really exist with the volume it does now.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's all rubbish to me now. I get my kicks from, jazz, classical and world music. But its fun occasionally to take a trip down electronica memory lane.

There’s many electronics artists like Bonobo, St. Germain, Amon Tobin, TM Juke, and Kruder & Dorfmeister (and associated acts) who are jazz influenced, and others like Mr. Scruff who have their ‘jazz moments’.

Boards Of Canada by far my favourite artist, particularly as I find their music far deeper than all that 90s rave stuff, which all use the same beat and timing - heard one, heard them all. Rave music was for one reason and one reason only - and isn’t the sort of music you listen to at home, certainly not for me anyway.

I find myself listening to more and more electronic music nowadays, far more than I did on the 90s.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

There is some great acoustic music atm. The album by ‘big thief’ called ‘capacity’ is a lovely album with sublime melodies and compositions in my opinion. I’m getting into that Jane Weaver album too.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Boards of Canada is too boring to hold my attention, but decent as background music. I find say Otis Taylor much more interesting. There's actual talent and skill involved, unlike electronic music which is composed with ready made samples by kids in their bedrooms. Anyone can do it.

I like musicality with complexity. I'm not 18 anymore.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Vladimir said:
Boards of Canada is too boring to hold my attention, but decent as background music. I find say Otis Taylor much more interesting. There's actual talent and skill involved, unlike electronic music which is composed with ready made samples by kids in their bedrooms. Anyone can do it.

not all electronic music mate.

insider9

Vladimir said:

That's really how I always felt about electronic music.

Anyway, since you mentioned... I think that calls for a blues thread, Vlad :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:

Not Stockhausen, Branka or Oliveros perhaps, but certainly all commercial garbage like Tiesto, Tosca, Armin van Buuren, Orbital, Filla Brazilia, St. Germain, Hed Kandy etc.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Vladimir said:
Vladimir said:

Not Stockhausen, Branka or Oliveros perhaps, but certainly all commercial garbage like Tiesto, Tosca, Armin van Buuren, Orbital, Filla Brazilia, St. Germain, Hed Kandy etc.

so if you think that why come on a thread if you don’t have a best of 2017?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Vladimir said:

so if you think that why come on a thread if you don’t have a best of 2017?

I'm still researching. Patience.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:

That's really how I always felt about electronic music.

Anyway, since you mentioned... I think that calls for a blues thread, Vlad :)

When I was bursting with hormones and sporting a life experience vacuum in my head, it was wonderful. I'm now 34, so its not even near the same feel when I listen to it.

Panta rei

PS Blues Thread is on the cards. I just need to get in the zone where I explore nothing but blues for a week.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I always think the best music, whether electronic or not, is simply written and simple but it’s difficult to come up with, which is what seperates the talented writers from the computer generated stuff.

But the essential elements in electronic music are such music is music, whether it’s some guy rubbing sticks together or some guy using a synthesiser or a guitar. There is surely a lot of cross over in the stuff you like, making the statement you don’t like electronic music, a bold one.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Blacksabbath25 said:
Good idea I like blues music

how about best albums released in 2017. Then it’s wider choice. The answer can’t be I have no best album in 2017. Lol.

Vladimir said:

You obviously haven’t tapped into the complexity of BoC. It may seem simple and repetitive on the face of it, but there’s far more to it, which only reveals itself on repeated listening.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

davidf said:
Vladimir said:

You obviously haven’t tapped into the complexity of BoC. It may seem simple and repetitive on the face of it, but there’s far more to it, which only reveals itself on repeated listening.

+1

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I always think the best music, whether electronic or not, is simply written and simple but it’s difficult to come up with, which is what seperates the talented writers from the computer generated stuff.

But the essential elements in electronic music are such music is music, whether it’s some guy rubbing sticks together or some guy using a synthesiser or a guitar. There is surely a lot of cross over in the stuff you like, making the statement you don’t like electronic music, a bold one.

I've used fruity loops, reason, native instruments etc. its a bloody joke. Go learn to play the piano and see how that goes.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
My main love I like is heavy metal , thrash music , classic rock I also like a wider range of music from classical , blues ,a bit of instrumental jazz , a bit of country rock , film soundtracks , hard dance some dance music of the 1990s as this was the golden era for dance music and some golden oldies stuff that I’ve grown up with . If I like it I will buy it

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
Vladimir said:

What more is there, be specific.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Follow up to hash 44

id preface that, as in some respects these albums like with boards of Canada’s ‘music has the right to children’, are not complex because they convey simple melodies intertwined with great electronic musical arrangement. And at the end of the day Music is always about melody. So you can pick out a few simple melodies in the music, and everything else is built around it, building up to it, like on the track happy cycling. It takes your patience and time. So you’ve got the rhythm in your head around those simple melodies but orchestrated into a bigger whole with everything else that goes into it, which is the attraction of electronic music for me. That’s why lots of parallels with different types of music.

On something like underworlds 8 ball you have a very simple melody built into a very pleasing electronic track by the way the music is built around the melody, parts compliment, one part helps the other etc. A melody can be any conjunction of notes and Sounds you find pleasing. On boards of Canada’s dayvan cowboy there is a clear melody, which the track is built around, and it’s such a simple melody.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

......On turquoise hexagon sun. It has this chiming melody and the music suits around it. Vocal samples in the background, skippy beat, bass line. Dreamey synth that then times the chiming melody.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
1024px-Sacrifice_of_Isaac-Caravaggio_%28c._1603%29.jpg

Mark-Rothko.jpg

apollo__daphne_september_2015-1a.jpg

girlongirl1753.jpg

TRENDING THREADS