Best cheapish hifi rack

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I need to buy a new HIfi rack. My old very cheap one was some rickety thing from Argos which was 3 glass shelves and metal posts.

I need something a bit more pleasing to the eye but don't want to spend much money!

Which brand(s) should i be looking at and is there a good place to get them from?

matthewpiano

I use a Blok 300. Very sturdy and attractive and available from many hi-fi outlets including Peter Tyson (Where I got mine) and Superfi. They do versions with more shelves and also wider versions too. Mine was about £200 and now houses my CD, amp and Squeezebox Touch with my 37" Bravia on the top.

Since what is pleasing to your eye might not be pleasing to others, I'd suggest looking at Richer Sounds (only 3 on their website, but stores often have old ones knocking around) or consider used (say from ebay). Other hifi shops will often have used items, or something 'out the back'.

To get a proper sound enhancing rack, you need one of the brands in the WHF buyer's guide, but otherwise, just get something the right size you like the look of and can afford.

nlanks

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
nlanks said:
How many shelves do you need on your new rack?

Ps if it's 3 and you like the look of Apollo Mezzo Soprano Racks in Silver, find me [edited by Mods] in the appropriate section ;)

Please do not trade or link to something you are selling. It is against House Rules.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:
Something from IKEA?? Nah, only joking.

Nowt wrong with Ikea. I sweated blood trying to find a unit large enough to house all my stuff; being deep enough for my Onkyo receiver and have plenty of free air around it for ventilation... Only thing that ticked all the boxes was their 'Tobo' unit.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Chris, do you have any pics of your Tobo rack in a 'My system' thread or anywhere else?

I've been trying to sell the missus on the Tobo but she's not keen, just going by the pics on Ikea's site.

Do you have the back panel for the TV too?

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I know what you mean its hard to justify spending £300-£400+ on a HiFi rack when your using budget components, where the rack = the price of the amp for example. They are massively more expensive than speaker stands.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
Chris, do you have any pics of your Tobo rack in a 'My system' thread or anywhere else?

I've been trying to sell the missus on the Tobo but she's not keen, just going by the pics on Ikea's site.

Do you have the back panel for the TV too?

There used to be but the pic seems to have been deleted. I'll take another and stick it up here for you. I don't have the TV wall mount section, just the base unit. My TV is a bit of a dinosaur and a two person lift.... Not sure I'd trust anything other than a solid brick wall to hold it up.:)

544620_496297157054464_1683075919_n.jpg

The legs that came with it were too tall, so I got some from Ikea's kitchen dept instead. Also, the centre section should have 2 drawers, but I left them out as it was an ideal space for the mighty Onk. I also cut the back panel a smidge smaller than the height & width of the amp for all the connections, allowing the Onk to be pushed right back.

The remotes for the Arcams, Blu-Ray player and BT Vision all work through the glass sliding doors too, which is nice.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I didn't want to pay the earth either,also needed a corner unit.....settled for an optimum stand,you can custom build aswell.

nlanks

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Depending on where your based, you may want to see if there's anything in the Sevenoaks Warehose clearance sale that would fit the bill. Some hugely discounted racks under the Equipment supports / furniture header

Link here http://marketing.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/news/490/story.aspx

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts