Beresford 7520 DAC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Thanks Chebby, off topic I know but are you still considering an amp?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

Thanks Chebby, off topic I know but are you still considering an amp?

No hurry now. Okay i'm not using the CD (or even the tuner) from my Solo-Mini nowadays but I am sort of hooked on the sound of it with the R3 speakers and the Beresford.

I am scared to break up the trilogy now it's gone all 'right' on me.

If I get around to hearing the Rega RS3's then I might be tempted (more of that R3'ness - only better - I am hoping) but that would not necessitate a new amp.

I might save very hard and look into Sugden A21 territory but that would be next year at least. (Stuff is going up faster than one can save nowadays!)

The stand-alone Arcam A18 FMJ amp has such a dull sound in comparison (tried it a few months ago). Why is there no consistent Arcam sound?

A

Anonymous

You could try the NAD amp
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Chebby, I also just changed toÿLM4562NA op amps and the difference is totally striking! the best bargain piece of hifi upgrade just got even better. ÿThe detail is way more pronounced, bottom end more balanced and the top less harsh i think. ÿI'm 1 hour into listening so i guess they'll need to run in a little but how are you finding yours since changing over?....ÿ

ÿ

If you own the 7520, SERIOUSLY consider getting the ÿLM4562NA's - £7 quid from ebay.... easy to fit and an unbelievable upgrade. I was considering some new speakers but really don't think i need to now. ÿ

Dr Beat

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for being a dunce.......but can some one walk me through how to put in the LM 4562 NA opamps? Is it that simple? A step by step guide would be great for DIY novices. Pretty pictures of the steps would be fantastic. Much obliged.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Dr Beat:Sorry for being a dunce.......but can some one walk me through how to put in the LM 4562 NA opamps? Is it that simple? A step by step guide would be great for DIY novices. Pretty pictures of the steps would be fantastic. Much obliged.

I second that,pictures with instructions/techniques would be very handy. Just another point,as these opamps are cheap,under a tenner probably a fair bit less for trade/bulk buys why don`t Beresford fit them as standard or offer them as an optional upgrade?Would save stress for us electronic virgins!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
basshound:Dr Beat:Sorry for being a dunce.......but can some one walk me through how to put in the LM 4562 NA opamps? Is it that simple? A step by step guide would be great for DIY novices. Pretty pictures of the steps would be fantastic. Much obliged.

I second that,pictures with instructions/techniques would be very handy. Just another point,as these opamps are cheap,under a tenner probably a fair bit less for trade/bulk buys why don`t Beresford fit them as standard or offer them as an optional upgrade?Would save stress for us electronic virgins!

Unplug the DAC from everything and remove 4 little screws holding the top cover on. Slide off top cover.

Ease out the two opamps carefully from their sockets. (Delicate use of a jeweller's flat blade screwdriver may help to ease them out but just exercise care and dont use other components for leverage!)

There are only two such components in 8 pin sockets - everything else is soldered - so you cant accidently replace the wrong things......

3444405860_f06a47eb8c_o.jpg

(Make a note of which way around the opamps are so you don't try and put the new ones in the wrong way around.)

Carefully push the new opamps firmly into place in the vacant sockets.

Screw cover back on.

Enjoy.

No soldering and no electronics knowledge required. Just a little care and a well lit table-top.

(Make sure you order LM4562NA and not any other LM4562 variant.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It is still worth noting just how good the standard TC-7520 DAC is without any modifications though.

When I bought mine I was not even aware it could be user upgraded and I was very happy with it as delivered.

The LM4562NA opamp upgrade just makes an already excellent DAC even better.

Dr Beat

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the explanation. Very clear now. Unfortunately, the shop that sells them asked me whether i wanted a MDIP or SOIC format? What is he talking about? Can you shed some light on this formats?

Thanks again

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
LM4562NA already denotes the item as a Dip-8 device.

It fits in an adaptor like this...

dip8-socket.jpg

And will have legs like this.....

1362328c.jpg

Frankly the guy should know from the catalogue if you give him the correct full nomenclature.

I used this trader and had no problems. Recommended to me by plenty of other people doing the same mod.

Don't get anything described as SOIC. It would be smaller and be the soldered version LM4562MA and the WRONG one.

I guess MA and NA sound the same on the phone so be careful he is clear you want the LM4562NA

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:You have to wonder why, if this op-amp swap is such a revelation, the manufacturer doesn't use them in the first place. Don't you?

Yes I think the same ought to be asked of Benchmark too.

They did not start using the LM4562 until the £1300 DAC1 Pre. (The £900 Benchmark DAC1 USB had the same standard NE5532 opamps that the Beresford gets shipped with.)

The difference is that Beresford made it convenient and easy to upgrade.

Every amplifier/CDP or DAC manufacturer (even the expensive ones) could be 'accused' of trying to shave costs by using components that are just 'good enough'. Given the hundreds of components that go into even a (relatively) simple device like a DAC, it is obvious what happens if people start saying.. "Why cant they use a better one", about every switch, capacitor, resistor, opamp, PS, circuit board, connector, mains lead etc etc. Before very long your DAC or amp (or whatever) costs double.

A

Anonymous

Apparently the 4562s are a big step up and the THS4032s are the best.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes but some of these other opamp upgrades require soldering skills or adaptation of the board or adding capacitors. And some enthusiasts are finding problems with clearance/overheating of some of their suggested components.

No, I will stick with the LM4562NA as the easiest, safest upgrade requiring no electrical/soldering skills. Just a simple like-for-like component swap.

A

Anonymous

You can always have your CA DacMagic upgraded by the likes of audiocom for a mere £115 + VAT, which includes replacing four NE5332 op amps with LME49720 (same thig as a LM4562).

Maybe if the value of the pound had not collapsed since last August the TC-7520 might have ended up with a Wolfson DAC chip and LM4562 op amps as standard.

But, as it is, I'm happy the device enables a degree of easy experimentation.

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Anyone confirm that these are the op amp being talked about.Does the 'nopb' bit mean that they might not be the same thing ?

Found them on Farnell w.site £4.03 each plus postage.

http://uk.farnell.com/national-semiconductor/lm4562na-nopb/opamp-audio-dual-hf-8-dip/dp/1685366

NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR - LM4562NA/NOPB - OPAMP AUDIO DUAL HF 8-DIP
new.gif

42268235.jpg

Image is for illustrative purposes only.

Please refer to product description

Manufacturer:
NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR

Order Code:

Manufacturer Part No:
LM4562NA/NOPB

RoHS
:

Yes

Description
  • OPAMP AUDIO DUAL HF 8-DIP
  • Amplifiers, No. of:2
  • Op Amp Type:Low Noise
  • Gain, Bandwidth -3dB:55MHz
  • Slew Rate:20V/æs
  • Voltage, Supply Min:2.5V
  • Voltage, Supply Max:17V
  • Termination Type:Through Hole
  • Case Style:DIP
  • Pins, No. of:8
  • Temperature, Operating Range:-40øC to +85øC

A

Anonymous

Sounds very promising.

l'm looking, in a few months, to use a laptop hence the Beresford would be ideal & for the price of the 4562 op amps it would be good to have this option of an up grade.

However, I'm using a Cambridge Audio 640cv2 at present, which has duel Wolfson dacs. Am l going to see any marked difference in sound in with the Beresford 7520 in place?

A

Anonymous

Im pretty sure you will hear a difference. I use the 7510 (awaiting delivery on the 7520) and its a noticable improvement on the 640c, although it is the V1 not V2. I would say give it a try, the returns policy is good if you decide its not a marked improvement.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You will not be let down.

My Solo-Mini CD section is based on elements of the Arcam CD73 (including the same clock and Wolfson WM8740 DAC.)

My laptop with lossless files playing through the Beresford TC-7520 (even without opamp upgrades) easily outperforms normal CD replay in my system.

A

Anonymous

DAC just arrived, not even turned it on and Im putting the new op-amps in. Can I just double check with someone else who has done this upgrade that the position of the writing on the old ops was upside down with the writing "24bit 96khz Digital..." like this:

http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=opamps.jpg

And that the new ones should be upside down too, with the dark circle in the top right corner of the new ops?

A

Anonymous

Drop your thoughts on how it compares to your current DAC when you have time
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

My exact thoughts but I think a side by side comparison is out of the question. My mate is just coming over to pick up the old one. He is desperate to get his system together so I don't want to delay. I will give my retrospective opinion once I have a few hours on the 7520.

A

Anonymous

I picked up my 7520 from the post office yesterday morning. Upgraded it with the suggested op amps and let it play non-stop for about 20 hours.

I pluged it into the analogue input of my DAC-XP and haave been testing it against the DAC-XPs DAC for a little while.I have adjusted the gain on the DAC-XP to ensure equal volume levels and am using Chord Cobra ICs between the 7520 and the DAC-XP. My CD8SE is being used as the source. I am using the optical for the 7520 and coax for the DAC-XP as the CD8SE only has one output for both of these connectors. The DAC-XP pre out was then fed into the Monos and onto the speakers.

So far I am very impressed with what I am hearing. The differences are not striking at all despite the price differential, here's how the two currently compare (please note that the differences are subtle):
- DAC-XP has a fuller warmer sound
- 7520's treble is harsher to my ear and bass a little more bloomy
- DAC-XP has a lower noise floor which seems to reveal more detail without the slight high end sharpness

The DAC-XP has the advantage of having an integrated pre-amp, while the 7520 is having to be connected via my Chord Cobras.

It will be interesting to see how the 7520 performs with poorer quality sources, but thats another day's testing.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase. Its quite a bargain and should be perfect in a bedroom headphone setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts