Beresford 7520 DAC

Don Guess

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Just taken delivery of this. It's a BIG improvement on the old model. The bass is warmer and much fuller. It also has better dynamics - leading edges are better, acoustic guitars sound fuller (always a test that one!).

Negatives are it's so damn ugly.. looks like a DIY kit thing..
Recommended..

DG

A

Anonymous

Don't go telling me that! lol

On second thoughts, what Beresford did you own before this new one?

A

Anonymous

I've just taken delivery of the 7520 with the new psu and it really
has revolutionised my system. Vocals are clearer, acoustic guitars
definitely richer and the overall stereo depth and width hugely
improved. It's my first DAC, using a cambridge audio 540c as
transport.

I primarily bought the 7520 as a 3 in 1 solution-
improved CD sound, headphone amp (amp mute button doesn't work) and
a better way to deliver music thru my laptop, using the USB input.
Haven't tried the latter yet, but the headphone amp seems great. Any
other opinions on this feature? i've read a few comments saying it's
up there with some of the more pricier headphone amplifiers.

Don Guess

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I don't use headphones so can't comment.

I also got the new psu but my Maplin one is still superior. It's quite a popular upgrade for Beresford owners. Sound stage is bigger, bass is fuller. Set it to 13.5 volts. I don't know how to embed links on this board but the url for the psu is:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48517

A

Anonymous

I've the 7520 which upgraded my 7510 6/4.

I use the Maplin PSU and I was curious about the new BFord one, so its not that much of an improvement huh?
Good to know my Maplins still doing its stuff. I prefer it at 12V actually, 13.5V sems to act like a "loudness" button in my system, making it lose some of the subtlety in the soundstage and making it a bit "shouty" .

Agree 100% with the level of upgrade you get from changing Dacs.

Another thing to consider, the 7520 has ben DESIGNED actually to be easily upgradable. You can change the standard Op Amps with better sounding ones very easily, they just pop out and the new ones clip into place.

You thought changing Dacs was a big jump?

Changing the Op Amps (to LM4562NA - under a tenner for the two required) gave the Dac a very different sound signature. It wasn't like changing an interconnect where differences can be subtle, no, this was obvious, immediate and so much better sounding. BIG soundstage, smoother, more PrAt, more balls to the sound.

Seriously, check it out.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ridleski:.....and
a better way to deliver music thru my laptop, using the USB input.
Haven't tried the latter yet...

Oh you must try this. Very nice sound through USB. You may even prefer it to the sound from your CD player.

USB on the TC-7520 also has it's own dedicated clocking not shared with optical & coax.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Gazjam:Changing the Op Amps (to LM4562NA - under a tenner for the two required) gave the Dac a very different sound signature. It wasn't like changing an interconnect where differences can be subtle, no, this was obvious, immediate and so much better sounding. BIG soundstage, smoother, more PrAt, more balls to the sound.
Seriously, check it out.

Last I looked at threads on this subject of op-amp swapping (on Art of Sound) I thought Beresford were recommending different capacitors need to be soldered in place for such upgrades.

Can you provide a link where Beresford recommend a simple swap to LM4562NA op-amps without any other work?

I think I will e-mail the company first before doing this. (Invalidating warranty issues etc.) Otherwise I will try it out. Upgrading to OPA2107AP in my old USB DAC worked wonders. Just want to be 100 percent certain before trying.

A

Anonymous

chebby:Gazjam:Changing the Op Amps (to LM4562NA - under a tenner for the two required) gave the Dac a very different sound signature. It wasn't like changing an interconnect where differences can be subtle, no, this was obvious, immediate and so much better sounding. BIG soundstage, smoother, more PrAt, more balls to the sound.
Seriously, check it out.

Last I looked at threads on this subject of op-amp swapping (on Art of Sound) I thought Beresford were recommending different capacitors need to be soldered in place for such upgrades.

Can you provide a link where Beresford recommend a simple swap to LM4562NA op-amps without any other work?

I think I will e-mail the company first before doing this. (Invalidating warranty issues etc.) Otherwise I will try it out. Upgrading to OPA2107AP in my old USB DAC worked wonders. Just want to be 100 percent certain before trying.

Hi,

I can see the confusion here, it was only till later in the DIY thread that some of the guys were suggesting ADDITIONAL measures (soldering extra caps) on to swapping the op amps out.

Se HERE:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2352

The LM4562 (as recommended by Stan) comment is what your looking for...

Later in the thread it talks about the different Op Amps and what ones best. A few of the guys speak of the 4562's big improvement over the stock Op Amps supplied with the Dac.

Its really easy to do, loosen 4 screws on bottom the dac, use a flat bladed screwdriver (carefully! - I used a jewelers screwdriver, one of the packet of 6 or so tiny screwdrivers you can buy anywhere) to pop it out, and the new Op Amps clip straight in. 8 metal pegs from the op amp fit into 8 holes in the socket.

If in doubt, post on the other forum, Stan Beresford should respond directly, he's a good guy.

daveh75

al7478:

I dont think ill ever get this thing about it being cheap looking/badly built.

Mystified.

I dont get this Either! I had the 7510 6/4, it maybe a bit Heath Robinson in the looks department. But i certainly wouldn't call it cheap looking or badly built!

All credit to Stan really, for producing a piece of kit that can give the big boy's a run for the money.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:al7478:

I dont think ill ever get this thing about it being cheap looking/badly built.

Mystified.

I dont get this Either! I had the 7510 6/4, it maybe a bit Heath Robinson in the looks department. But i certainly wouldn't call it cheap looking or badly built!

All credit to Stan really, for producing a piece of kit that can give the big boy's a run for the money.

Right on brother!

Ill just go look up heath robinson...

A

Anonymous

7520 reminds me of a minature Audiolab amp, and its solidly built.

Nice bit of kit.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Gazjam:Its really easy to do, loosen 4 screws on bottom the dac, use a flat bladed screwdriver (carefully! - I used a jewelers screwdriver, one of the packet of 6 or so tiny screwdrivers you can buy anywhere) to pop it out, and the new Op Amps clip straight in. 8 metal pegs from the op amp fit into 8 holes in the socket.

They go here then?......

3397969283_702aa77410.jpg

That card is labelled 'EQ Phones' but I want to upgrade the fixed level analog output to my amplifier more than just the headphone output. (I don't use headphones a great deal).

A

Anonymous

Hey Chebby..

Yup thats spot on.
That board actually is the Output board, not just for the EQ Phones

I think one of the Op Amps (the one marked Phones) is for the Headphone output, and I THINK it controls the Variable outputs (as thats linked to the Volume Pot).

This is really only worth confirming if you wish to upgrade only the one Op Amp (Why would you??!?). At Less than a Tenner for two LM4562's from Flea-Bay just do them both at once.

the other socket is for the line out for the Dac itself.

Honestly mate, its WELL worth doing, the standard Op Amps are about 35p each. Stan Beresford had to balance Cost Vs Performance and when you consider the Benchmark Dac1 uses the same Op Amps in the Standard 7520, he made a good compromise with the Dac's design.

The LM4562's take it to another level entirely thiough.

Best buy for my system (upgrade wise) since I went Squeezebox and sold my CD player.
By FAR the best bang for the buck upgrade I've ever made to my system.

Tranforms a really good(great) Dac to somehing so much better.

I dont even think about the system anymore - just the music.

Squeezebox + Ipod Touch controller + modded 7520 Dac = music!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A

Anonymous

Nice one, hope you get as much from the upgrade as I did.

One thing I noticed is that they need some time to sound their best. Mines are about a week old, used pretty much 24/7 and the sound has changed a lot over that time.

Some forums say as much as 100 hrs or so for burn in, I dunno. Just know that it will be a short time before they fully come on song - so give them time.

Be good to know how you get on Mate!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am just hoping that I don't spoil what is already an excellent sound.

Sometimes I think opamp swappers are doing it because of what they read on manufacturer's data sheets rather than applying the same criteria that the designer has used. (Many components don't NEED to be the best specified in the business and an older/cheaper component is deliberately used by the designer for sound quality reasons or to direct costs towards more sound critical areas where improvement is more obvious.)

However, it is an easily reversible upgrade and costs only £7.49 + postage so it is worth a go.

I am not a total sceptic having tried this successfully before with a different DAC.

Now, instead of opamps has anyone tried valves?
emotion-2.gif

[Edit] Yes it seems they have!

A

Anonymous

As you rightly said, you can always go back to the original Op Amps, so easily reversible!

Stan Beresford himself recommends this upgrade, so dont think you can go wrong.
Biggest improvements are detailing and soundstaging.

Big, and I mean BIG soundstage, timing is excellent too. Very musical once they bed in. They seem to go through many different stages in burn in though..or was it just my expectations?
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Gazjam:Biggest improvements are detailing and soundstaging.
Big, and I mean BIG soundstage,

Now THAT does get my attention!

My Rega R3's do pretty well in that department (as does the Solo-Mini) but - regarding soundstage - I sound like the Professor in 'The Italian Job' (played by Benny Hill), I like them BIG.
emotion-2.gif
(I repeat, I am referring to soundstage here.)

Don Guess

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I'm going for the ebay opamps too.

Somebody commented about 13.5V versus 12V on the maplin PSU. I've just changed back to 12V and I agree. It is a bit overpowering on the 7520 on 13.5V. I'm going to run 12v for a bit.

I've only got about 30 hours on the 7520. It's still a bit "messy" on complicated passages. Cymbals are still a bit splashy. Hopefully it'll settle down with a bit more usage.

The difference in the amount of bass between the 7520 and 7510 is marked. I used to have to add a bit of low end eq on Foobar with the 7510. I've taken it off with new one.

DG

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Don Guess:I'm going for the ebay opamps too.

Somebody commented about 13.5V versus 12V on the maplin PSU. I've just changed back to 12V and I agree. It is a bit overpowering on the 7520 on 13.5V. I'm going to run 12v for a bit.

I've only got about 30 hours on the 7520. It's still a bit "messy" on complicated passages. Cymbals are still a bit splashy. Hopefully it'll settle down with a bit more usage.

The difference in the amount of bass between the 7520 and 7510 is marked. I used to have to add a bit of low end eq on Foobar with the 7510. I've taken it off with new one.

DG

I am not going to bother with the Maplin PSU. Even Stanley himself said in one of the forums that he could not make his mind up whether the standard (Beresford supplied) one was better than the Maplin or vica versa. I also prefer to keep clutter down. The Beresford item is neater and smaller.

I have not noticed 'splashy' cymbal problems at all. Quite the opposite with the TC-7520.

The worst examples (like Keith Moon's smashing everything in sight on earlier Who tracks) is tamed somewhat compared to my old DAC and compared to CD replay from the Solo-Mini. (Made even more listenable still by ripping at 256k AAC on iTunes along with the Slade tracks that used to bug me the same way!)

If anything I would say the TC-7520 has an almost class-A type sound. Smooth, detailed, but without being over-warm. Bass is fine overall but gets rather special on decently recorded jazz like the Pearl Django 'Avalon' album I am listening to now. Electronic bass from Black Uhuru's 'Dub Factor' (Sly & Robbie) is fantastic. My Rega R3's are probably not doing any of the subsonic stuff but what bass I am getting from them is very well defined and very pleasing and a lot less one-dimensional via the Beresford than from CD replay.

Don Guess

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Well I guess our systems are probably a bit different, particularly the speakers. How many hours have you got on the 7520? Did you notice any change in it during burn in?

DG

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Don Guess:Well I guess our systems are probably a bit different, particularly the speakers. How many hours have you got on the 7520? Did you notice any change in it during burn in?

DG

I have no idea how many hours it has been used so far. I have used it almost every day since the beginning of February I think (usually for about 4 -12 hours a day because I mostly work from home) .

I would not have been listening for changes due to 'running-in' because I don't really think that happens.

Don Guess

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
I have no idea how many hours it has been used so far. I have used it almost every day since the beginning of February I think (usually for about 4 -12 hours a day because I mostly work from home) .

I would not have been listening for changes due to 'running-in' because I don't really think that happens.

It does on Beresford DACs. Ask Stan..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts