Bel Canto DACs

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Good morning everybody,

Did any of you have any opportunity to try any of Bel Canto DACs? If so what do you think in terms of sonic performances?

I have opportunity to pick up a Bel Canto 3 at a great price as a second hand item.

The DAC will be the centre of my digital source (cd player, pc, streamer). This will be till I can't prove that a Linn DS product is a better product for the same money (a direct comparison is required).

Thanks for your thoughts as usual!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have briefly heard it and think it is good enough to be on your shortlist.

I found it clean, detailed and neutral without being aggressive. There was a slight leanness to the bass, but it was tight and well controlled.

This was a first impression and might not be totally accurate....from what I heard, I would find the DS a little more musical, with a bit more "body" to the sound.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I have briefly heard it and think it is good enough to be on your shortlist. I found it clean, detailed and neutral without being aggressive. There was a slight leanness to the bass, but it was tight and well controlled. This was a first impression and might not be totally accurate....from what I heard, I would find the DS a little more musical, with a bit more "body" to the sound.

I take it you heard it with your own system?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think your speakers need to be the Sonus Fabers and not the RX6s to hear how good a DAC of that level is. I was close to getting the BC 1.5 before getting my Moon. There are some great boxes at that price range.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I have briefly heard it and think it is good enough to be on your shortlist. I found it clean, detailed and neutral without being aggressive. There was a slight leanness to the bass, but it was tight and well controlled. This was a first impression and might not be totally accurate....from what I heard, I would find the DS a little more musical, with a bit more "body" to the sound.

Thanks for your insight as usual. I indeed asked my dealer if it would be possible to have a demo unit to try. very curios to see how it would perform. Compating it with a DS would be relatively easy as there is a great shop here in Bx with all the DS product range

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SonofSun said:
CnoEvil said:

I take it you heard it with your own system?

No, it was at the dealer. From memory, it was through a Bel Canto amp and Focal speakers.

It was a brief listen, which is why I added the caveat in my post. I would feel more comfortable if someone who actually owns one, gave a more informed view.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Gerrardasnails said:
I think your speakers need to be the Sonus Fabers and not the RX6s to hear how good a DAC of that level is. I was close to getting the BC 1.5 before getting my Moon. There are some great boxes at that price range.

On that I agree fully. I will indeed try any DAC through the Sonus Faber which are on paper "my speakers" already :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts