Bedroom audio setup: A pair of active speakers or 2 bookshelf speakers and a small amp?

posdef

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I am considering to get some speakers for the bedroom. The idea is to connect the speakers to an Airport Express I have lying around so I can stream to it. I cannot decide between getting a pair of active speakers vs a pair of regular shelf speakers and an amp. Are there any general pros/cons i should be aware of?

A side track here is that I would like to have the system relatively small in size and simple in use. In other words, if choosing I get a separate amplifier, I would get something minimalistic. Would that limit my options dramatically?

TazLondon

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Generally speaking a separate amp + passive speakers are always going to sound better than a set of active speakers.

Here's how I see things.

Active speakers: Pros: compact space, may have wireless streaming capability built in (e.g. Airplay), can be quickly moved to another room, generally lower cost. Cons: audio fidelity.

Passive speakers + amp: Pros: better sound, versatility and flexibility (multiple inputs), can upgrade speakers or amp in the future. Cons: a lot more space required, usually don't have wireless streaming built in, cost.

I've just bought a Marant PM6005 amp and Q Acoustics 2020i speakers for my bedroom. I've connected an Apple TV via an optical cable to the amp's Toslink input. The sound is far, far better than anything I could have hope for with active speakers. Around the home I also have a couple of Audyssey active speakers with Airplay. The sound from them is quite good but the amp + speakers combo is in another league altogether.

Some of the considerations I had for an amp in the bedroom were: must have bass/treble/loudness controls as I tend to listen at very low volumes, power output is fairly irrelevant for a bedroom (I haven't even turned the amp up beyond 10% of the volume control yet!), multiple input to connect other audio sources (e.g. Sky HD box, Blu-Ray player) - you often don't get that level of flexibility with active speakers. I also specifically wanted an amp with an outstanding DAC to get the best sound possible from my Apple lossless music streamed from my Mac to my Apple TV. The Apple TV only has an optical out for audio so I made sure the amp has an optical in jack.

Hope some of that helps as I've just done what you're thinking of doing!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
TazLondon said:
Generally speaking a separate amp + passive speakers are always going to sound better than a set of active speakers.

Here's how I see things.

Active speakers: Pros: compact space, may have wireless streaming capability built in (e.g. Airplay), can be quickly moved to another room, generally lower cost. Cons: audio fidelity.

Passive speakers + amp: Pros: better sound, versatility and flexibility (multiple inputs), can upgrade speakers or amp in the future. Cons: a lot more space required, usually don't have wireless streaming built in, cost.

I've just bought a Marant PM6005 amp and Q Acoustics 2020i speakers for my bedroom. I've connected an Apple TV via an optical cable to the amp's Toslink input. The sound is far, far better than anything I could have hope for with active speakers. Around the home I also have a couple of Audyssey active speakers with Airplay. The sound from them is quite good but the amp + speakers combo is in another league altogether.

Some of the considerations I had for an amp in the bedroom were: must have bass/treble/loudness controls as I tend to listen at very low volumes, power output is fairly irrelevant for a bedroom (I haven't even turned the amp up beyond 10% of the volume control yet!), multiple input to connect other audio sources (e.g. Sky HD box, Blu-Ray player) - you often don't get that level of flexibility with active speakers. I also specifically wanted an amp with an outstanding DAC to get the best sound possible from my Apple lossless music streamed from my Mac to my Apple TV. The Apple TV only has an optical out for audio so I made sure the amp has an optical in jack.

Perhaps some details of the active speakers you have tried will be helpfull.

Given that your amp and speakers cost around £500, it would be interested to know what active speakers you tried.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Why do people not mention budget??

My suggestion would be a BelCanto C75i or Cyrus 8 series amplifier and a pair of MAD 1920's

regards

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
TazLondon said:

Here's how I see things.

Audyssey active speakers are desktop computer speakers I believe. Not even sure if they are active?

I found active speakers (£1,250) al be it at a higher price bracket to be better than any passive set up I heard upto £2,000.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
TazLondon said:

Here's how I see things.

Audyssey active speakers are desktop computer speakers I believe. Not even sure if they are active?

I found active speakers (£1,250) al be it at a higher price bracket to be better than any passive set up I heard upto £2,000.

For around the price of a pair ot Audyssey powered (they are not active) speakers you can get a pair of proper 5 inch actives from the likes of Yamaha and Presonus, a completely different standard from 'computer' speakers.

For the price of the Marantz/Q Acoustics pairing you can get some Equator D5s or if you need the power, a pair of Yamaha HS8s, with money left over for a dac if you need it, I know where I would spend my money.....*dirol*

posdef

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:

My suggestion would be a BelCanto C75i or Cyrus 8 series amplifier and a pair of MAD 1920's

Hmm my bad, I should have mentioned the budget, of course. I am putting the pain limit around 400€, with an absolute hard limit at 500€. I would, of course, like to get away with paying as little as possible, without compromising the audio quality all too much. Hence the question of finding a balance between good audio quality, practicality and price.

As for the suggestions go, I like the Bel Canto C5i, based on the features and the looks, but the cheapest deal here in Sweden appears to be beyond 2000€ which is over my budget by a mile. Thanks anyways! :)

TazLondon said:

Thanks for the detailed answer. Based on your explanation of pros/cons, I'd say I have the same understanding. Although the tricky bit is to find the right compromise... I read a bit about the amp and the speakers you suggested. I really like the QA 2020i, both aesthetically and audio quality based on the reviews available. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the amp, as it's not what I am after, neither economically (at least here in Sweden) nor aesthetically (too large and clumpy).

To give an idea about what I am looking at, here are some of the stuff I have been interested at so far. Any and all comments are welcome:

- Active speakers: Edifier R2600 Studio 6. These are priced quite nicely, and seem to have gotten few but very positive reviews. I understand that they are primarily desktop speakers, but of somewhat higher quality. Anyone here has any experience with these?

- Compact amp: Yamaha CRX-550. I like the fact that it's compact and not so "techy", fits nicely in a bedroom I'd say. I like that it has good connectivity, and a CD player to put a cherry on top. What Hi-Fi has a quite positive review of this amp as well. I can get this little nice box for about 215€ here.

- All-in-one system: As I was browsing Yamaha's homepage for CRX550, I came across these new products they have announced: Relit and Restio series. They are nicely designed products that create not only the good audio, but also the right atmosphere. At least so claims Yamaha... I am particularly interested in the ISX-803/803D, and LSX-170. I understand that these products won't be in the same league as a pair of good shelf/mount-speakers and an amp, but design-wise they are definitely attractive for my use-case.

One of the important questions is, if I want to connect the Airport Extreme to the sound system so I can stream from any devide in to the bedroom, the connection would practically be via 3,5mm audio jack. On Apple's homepage they claim it's possible to get optical digital sound, which I don't quite understand. How can you get "optical digital sound" via an analog output?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
posdef said:
drummerman said:

Hmm my bad, I should have mentioned the budget, of course. I am putting the pain limit around 400€, with an absolute hard limit at 500€. I would, of course, like to get away with paying as little as possible, without compromising the audio quality all too much. Hence the question of finding a balance between good audio quality, practicality and price.

As for the suggestions go, I like the Bel Canto C5i, based on the features and the looks, but the cheapest deal here in Sweden appears to be beyond 2000€ which is over my budget by a mile. Thanks anyways! :)

TazLondon said:

Thanks for the detailed answer. Based on your explanation of pros/cons, I'd say I have the same understanding. Although the tricky bit is to find the right compromise... I read a bit about the amp and the speakers you suggested. I really like the QA 2020i, both aesthetically and audio quality based on the reviews available. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the amp, as it's not what I am after, neither economically (at least here in Sweden) nor aesthetically (too large and clumpy).

To give an idea about what I am looking at, here are some of the stuff I have been interested at so far. Any and all comments are welcome:

- Active speakers: Edifier R2600 Studio 6. These are priced quite nicely, and seem to have gotten few but very positive reviews. I understand that they are primarily desktop speakers, but of somewhat higher quality. Anyone here has any experience with these?

- Compact amp: Yamaha CRX-550. I like the fact that it's compact and not so "techy", fits nicely in a bedroom I'd say. I like that it has good connectivity, and a CD player to put a cherry on top. What Hi-Fi has a quite positive review of this amp as well. I can get this little nice box for about 215€ here.

- All-in-one system: As I was browsing Yamaha's homepage for CRX550, I came across these new products they have announced: Relit and Restio series. They are nicely designed products that create not only the good audio, but also the right atmosphere. At least so claims Yamaha... I am particularly interested in the ISX-803/803D, and LSX-170. I understand that these products won't be in the same league as a pair of good shelf/mount-speakers and an amp, but design-wise they are definitely attractive for my use-case.

One of the important questions is, if I want to connect the Airport Extreme to the sound system so I can stream from any devide in to the bedroom, the connection would practically be via 3,5mm audio jack. On Apple's homepage they claim it's possible to get optical digital sound, which I don't quite understand. How can you get "optical digital sound" via an analog output?

Actually I think Taz is talking a load of bananas. He seems to be basing his view of actice speakers on some fairly cheap powered computer speakers, they are not even active. You do know that many recording studios use active speakers? One reason is because of low distortion at high volumes. OK some active speakers do not look great but some are designed more for domestic use. To say they dont sound so good is incorrect, OK some are not good, as for value for money I would say they are generally better as more for the pro market than the hifi market. Not too clued up on actives at that price but Im sure Dave can advise.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Woah! 2000 euros for this Bel Canto C5i based on a B&O chip.
faint_and_recovery___emoticon_by_puu-d3is34f.gif

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
True Vlad, open one up and there is barley anyhting in there. Not even a transformer like the Rogue Sphinx or Peachtree Nova has. Not sure how that works? But I can't knock it because it's made really well and feels like quality on the outside. Plus it sounded good for a Class D unit when I heard it.

evelith

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
BigH said:
TazLondon said:

Here's how I see things.

For around the price of a pair ot Audyssey powered (they are not active) speakers you can get a pair of proper 5 inch actives from the likes of Yamaha and Presonus, a completely different standard from 'computer' speakers.

For the price of the Marantz/Q Acoustics pairing you can get some Equator D5s or if you need the power, a pair of Yamaha HS8s, with money left over for a dac if you need it, I know where I would spend my money.....*dirol*

I had a brief listen to Yamaha HS8 (£450?) feeded with Iphone on Saturday and I was more impressed than 3k+ set (Cambridge Audio 851 (amp+cd) + Focal Chorus 726) ...

posdef

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:

The speakers you mention are listed under PA speakers under pricerunner, and I am wondering how their performance would be in a small room setting. I was reading some articles (in Swedish) about PA speakers vs Studio Monitors vs "regular" speakers, and the authors pointed out that PA speakers are made to push as much sound as possible, since they are made for larger spaces. They then pointed out that, for that exact reason (loudness over quality) they should be avoided for home settings. Comments?

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Take a look at the Marantz M-CR510 It is pretty compact has Airplay and Spotify built in aswell as a DAC and has 60 watts per channel - pair it with Q Acoustics 2010i or 2020i and you have an excellent budget set up.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
BigH said:
TazLondon said:

Very much this. At that budget active speakers will give you the best bang for your buck. Ignore TazLondon. He doesn't know what he is talking about as it seems he doesn't really know what active speakers are or have any experience with them. The Marantz/Q Acoustics pairing will sound fine, but nowhere near the performance of active monitors. Of course, there are other benefits to the Marantz.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You could of course look at the Nocs NS2 v2. Sound quality is decent and convenience is excellent. May be a really good solution for a small bedroom.

http://nocs.se/products/ns2-air-monitors-v2

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/23/nocs-ns2-air-monitors-v2-review-probably-the-smartest-set-of-powered-reference-speakers-you-can-buy/

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
One suggestion.

Audio Pro LV2 / LV2e

They are fully active, small and sound great.

They are also wireless.

They are also made in Sweden :)

(Around SEK5000 for a pair)

by the way. TazLondon is talking out of his hat. VFM and quality per £ (or Krona), active is better.

The only problem is if you want good looking speakers that fit into a normal living room/bedroom setting, then the options are limited. The above AudioPro fit the bill nicely. As do the more expensive Dynaudio and Avi models.

But if you have a 4Sound or similar pro shop nearby, you should do yourself a favour and at least compare what they have to compete with HifiKlubben.

posdef

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
fr0g said:
One suggestion.

Audio Pro LV2 / LV2e

They are also wireless.

by the way. TazLondon is talking out of his hat. VFM and quality per £ (or Krona), active is better.

The only problem is if you want good looking speakers that fit into a normal living room/bedroom setting, then the options are limited. The above AudioPro fit the bill nicely. As do the more expensive Dynaudio and Avi models.

But if you have a 4Sound or similar pro shop nearby, you should do yourself a favour and at least compare what they have to compete with HifiKlubben.

I got a nice deal (approx 150€) for a pair of scarcely used Audioengine A5 (not the A5+) that are supposed to be in mint condition, which I will go demo soon. How do they rate against AudioPro LV2/LV2e?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
posdef said:
fr0g said:
One suggestion.

Audio Pro LV2 / LV2e

They are also wireless.

I got a nice deal (approx 150€) for a pair of scarcely used Audioengine A5 (not the A5+) that are supposed to be in mint condition, which I will go demo soon. How do they rate against AudioPro LV2/LV2e?

I have only heard the Audiopro. But for a powered passive, the A5 is supposed to be pretty nice.

I'd be tempted to go for that deal and maybe save up for a better system later.

For a bedroom system I imagine you'll be pretty happy.

If you can though, I would still recommend a trip to your local Pro Audio shop :) (and of course Hifiklubben).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
True Vlad, open one up and there is barley anyhting in there. Not even a transformer like the Rogue Sphinx or Peachtree Nova has. Not sure how that works? But I can't knock it because it's made really well and feels like quality on the outside. Plus it sounded good for a Class D unit when I heard it.

I have no doubt it sound good but I thought the whole point of Class D was to make things cheaper and more efficient.

p340810317.jpg

ICEpower 125ASX2

The same module you find in car amplifiers now in audiophile gear, with just a fancy box.

Chinese Ghent Audio with the same ICEpower module for $110.

A100_Case-Kit_2.jpg

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
posdef said:
davedotco said:

The speakers you mention are listed under PA speakers under pricerunner, and I am wondering how their performance would be in a small room setting. I was reading some articles (in Swedish) about PA speakers vs Studio Monitors vs "regular" speakers, and the authors pointed out that PA speakers are made to push as much sound as possible, since they are made for larger spaces. They then pointed out that, for that exact reason (loudness over quality) they should be avoided for home settings. Comments?

Just because they are listed on some search site as PA does not mean they are PA speakers. It best to find out what they are used for, if for studio monitoring they maybe OK although some studio monitors can be a bit too revealing for home set up. Yes I would not buy PA speakers. Generally pro gear is better value than hifi gear.

TazLondon

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
BigH said:
Actually I think Taz is talking a load of bananas. He seems to be basing his view of actice speakers on some fairly cheap powered computer speakers, they are not even active.

Look, I'm a new member on here and there's no reason to cut down people like you have done. I was hoping this would be a more welcoming and friendly forum where we share common interests. Somebody asked a question and I provided my opinion. I thought that's what forums were for?

I don't own 'cheap powered computer speakers'. Perhaps you're confusing the Audyssey Lower East Side Media Speakers with the Audyssey Lower East Side Audio Dock Air? They are a world apart. I own two of the latter and they are effectively active speakers, albeit designed mainly for Airplay.

It's this one here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/audyssey-audio-dock-air-review

I've never claimed to be an expert on anything, but that doesn't preclude me from offering an opinion.

I've come from a Linn-based vinyl system so have had exposure to a reasonable level of HiFi components. I've just been out of the loop for many years and am just coming back into it again.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
TazLondon said:
BigH said:
Actually I think Taz is talking a load of bananas. He seems to be basing his view of actice speakers on some fairly cheap powered computer speakers, they are not even active.

Look, I'm a new member on here and there's no reason to cut down people like you have done. I was hoping this would be a more welcoming and friendly forum where we share common interests. Somebody asked a question and I provided my opinion. I thought that's what forums were for?

I don't own 'cheap powered computer speakers'. Perhaps you're confusing the Audyssey Lower East Side Media Speakers with the Audyssey Lower East Side Audio Dock Air? They are a world apart. I own two of the latter and they are effectively active speakers, albeit designed mainly for Airplay.

It's this one here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/audyssey-audio-dock-air-review

I've never claimed to be an expert on anything, but that doesn't preclude me from offering an opinion.

I've come from a Linn-based vinyl system so have had exposure to a reasonable level of HiFi components. I've just been out of the loop for many years and am just coming back into it again.

As Vlad pointed out, this can be a grumpy little forum but you do not help yourself by giving your opinions on a subject you know precious little about.

This is a public forum and members are quite protective when poor advice is given from someone who does not know his subject. The Audessey products are inexpensive lifestyle/ computer speakers and bear no comparison to 'proper' active speakers as they are known and discussed on this forum.

As a comparison, a pair of Monkey Banana Turbo 5 digital active speakers can be had for under £400 in the UK, and are in a completely different world performance wise. Take a look.

http://www.monkey-banana.de/products/turbo5/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts