Question BBC Radio in Hi-Res?

My understanding is that the BBC doesn’t offer anything like that streaming quality.

The info here may help:-

My Linn streamer reports AAC48kHz/16bit 320kbps for Radio 3, for example.

Radio Paradise in its various iterations is the only CD quality popular station I know of.

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I remember a couple of Naim streamers that I owned (Uniti2 and Muso) a few years back supported BBC Radio HD Channels, but unhelpfully I can’t remember the bitrates!

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Currently, which Hi-Fi devices can exclusively stream BBC Radio channels like BBC Radio 1, 2 etc. in Hi-Res in 24 Bit 48/96 kHz or higher?
According to the link that nopiano posted, only BBC Radio 3 is currently streamed in HD.
It's not about the streaming devices but what is being streamed, perhaps this might be of interest?
There is plenty of variety to choose from!
A good quality receiver with a compatible antenna will also give you great sound quality.

podknocker

I'd love all UK radio stations to be streamed in CD quality (1411kbps) I'm sure there's plenty of available bandwidth on their servers and it amazes me how radio is such a neglected medium. I remember owning a Cambridge Audio DAB tuner and it gradually sounded worse and worse, as they crammed more stations into the available channels. I think some stations started at 192kbps and ended up at 64kbps. It sounded dreadful at the end. Internet radio is a fantastic opportunity to provide high quality music and speech, but seems to be stuck at mp3 quality here in the UK. There are exceptions, but it would be nice listening to your favourite stations in CD quality. Many people have decent internet speeds and there's so much kit available now to take advantage of FLAC and other high res formats.

Last edited:

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
Hi, I remember a couple of Naim streamers that I owned (Uniti2 and Muso) a few years back supported BBC Radio HD Channels, but unhelpfully I can’t remember the bitrates!
Has BBC Studios partnered with Naim or other manufacturers, so the source, as well as the playback devices, have a seamless handshake in outputting Hi-Res 24 Bit 48/96 kHz or higher bit rates of live radio over the air? Don't they?

tangledfeet

May 26, 2020
Visit site
I listen to 6Music (pretty much the only radio I listen to) using VLC and an m3u8 file that I have saved on my desktops and on all my Android devices:

6music.JPG

The file itself has the text:

#EXTM3U
#EXT-X-VERSION:3
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:pROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=339200,CODECS="mp4a.40.2"

Hope this might be of help, a bit of internet digging might find the same for the other stations.

EDIT... it isn't a smiley face... it is INF : P ROGRAM - just take out the spaces I've inserted to stop it converting it to an emoji!

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
I listen to 6Music (pretty much the only radio I listen to) using VLC and an m3u8 file that I have saved on my desktops and on all my Android devices:

View attachment 7028

The file itself has the text:

#EXTM3U
#EXT-X-VERSION:3
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:pROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=339200,CODECS="mp4a.40.2"

Hope this might be of help, a bit of internet digging might find the same for the other stations.

EDIT... it isn't a smiley face... it is INF : P ROGRAM - just take out the spaces I've inserted to stop it converting it to an emoji!
Is it a 32-bit depth audio track?

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
Has BBC Studios partnered with Naim or other manufacturers, so the source, as well as the playback devices, have a seamless handshake in outputting Hi-Res 24 Bit 48/96 kHz or higher bit rates of live radio over the air? Don't they?
I’ve certainly not seen it, and that BBC group of web pages I linked to above is silent on it. Can you recall where you read it or heard about it?

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
I’ve certainly not seen it, and that BBC group of web pages I linked to above is silent on it. Can you recall where you read it or heard about it?
Same, as what Revolutions said.

Streaming live BBC Radio channels in 32-bit on capable audio devices would be great, as currently, one could easily stream 4K episodes and movies over the internet without a doubt.

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
It would be entirely pointless!

Lets be thankful the BBC aren't wasting licence fee payers money pandering to a small group of deluded audiophiles who think they're superhuman.
For that there could be a separate fee apart from the standard licensing cost per year. Just like on any video streaming platform including live TV, there is an additional premium for viewing 4K content.

It would be entirely pointless!

Lets be thankful the BBC aren't wasting licence fee payers money pandering to a small group of deluded audiophiles who think they're superhuman.
I wouldn’t have been so direct, but I have to say I agree. IIRC the BBC used 13bit encoding for decades for their FM broadcasts which are still excellent on the best transmissions.

Once a devoted FM fan, I now confess I use my tuner less than once a month, as I’m a complete convert to internet radio via my Linn DSM. The source is actually from an ‘aggregator’ (I think that’s the word) Linn recommend over TuneIn called Airable. I’m just glad they seem to get it right!

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

daveh75

For that there could be a separate fee apart from the standard licensing cost per year. Just like on any video streaming platform including live TV, there is an additional premium for viewing 4K content.

Again, it would require an act of parliament, and a change to the way the BBC is funded....

The BBC, it's supporters, an the commercial operators are totally opposed to that.

It's never going to happen and it would be an entirely pointless endeavour given there's zero benefit to listeners.

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
I wouldn’t have been so direct, but I have to say I agree. IIRC the BBC used 13bit encoding for decades for their FM broadcasts which are still excellent on the best transmissions.

Once a devoted FM fan, I now confess I use my tuner less than once a month, as I’m a complete convert to internet radio via my Linn DSM. The source is actually from an ‘aggregator’ (I think that’s the word) Linn recommend over TuneIn called Airable. I’m just glad they seem to get it right!
13-bit? Currently, the CD quality 16-bit audio already sounds like a big vacuum hole in the middle of the full frequency range to me, where the details are lost, alongside the loudness to compensate for the loss.

32-bit audio, for both live as well as in recorded formats, would be great with compatible audio devices.

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
Again, it would require an act of parliament, and a change to the way the BBC is funded....

The BBC, it's supporters, an the commercial operators are totally opposed to that.

It's never going to happen and it would be an entirely pointless endeavour given there's zero benefit to listeners.
Then the cost would change based on the current year's inflation rate, taking all other things into consideration too.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Puzzled why some forum members are so dogmatic. “I don’t value it, so no-one should get it” 🤔

I’m currently enjoying UHD content from iPlayer. Not everyone has the kit or bandwidth to do the same. Should BBC revert to SD and 425 lines and “dumb down” so everybody gets the same?

A funding model harking back to the days of dog licences and requiring me to pay it so the wife can watch Corrie live, enforceable via the courts, is simply no longer viable. The yield from it is reducing and the generations coming don’t use live TV in the same way.

I hope to see its demise. I’d be happy to subscribe for its drama and natural world stuff. News, current affairs, and sport (with its opinionated presenters) can go swing for me 🤷🏼

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts