Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
My latest (and next) purchase is a HiBy M300 DAP.

I got a non-silver one a few days ago that I am loving but returning, and expect a blue beauty today. I am also returning the only case that is currently available for it.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
New amp (pm6007)

Before you say anything, im having some problems with my current amp

Sub out don't work as expected,bluetooth keeps disconnecting, volume problems (very subtle volume problems), although i like the very non fatiguing sound i sometimes wish for a little more clarity in the highs (perseption of space and deatils) which don't do it for me using qed anniversary xt silver speaker cable

I also did experince the bass from my turntable as if the amp,phonostage are challenged when playing bass,looks like i would have an advantage if it had a subsonic filter

For a new amp (not b stock at hyperfi) in uk i found it for £429, in Denmark where i live i can have one for just under £336

The repair shop related to where i bought the amp wanted me based on what i told them to send the unit to them (before they asked me questions to verify if it had problems or it's just a design choice,flaw(s) by mission)

Don't you like the amp ?

Yes i do, the sound is not bright at all combined with my triangle speakers, i like the huge amount of in and outputs (+ usb), that you just give it all it's got captain and it never sound restrained harsh,compact size,mabye lowest price in europe

Have spare amps but 1-2 week without anything then a spare amp, i think is to long time to wait (repair shop)

Could have bough a PM6006 but i hear so many having problems with the model i didn't wanna take the chance
I might be getting confused as you've had a lot of kit over the years but didn't you once own a PM8005 or 6?

gasolin

I might be getting confused as you've had a lot of kit over the years but didn't you once own a PM8005 or 6?
yes i did, now i own completely different speakers then i ever did, i use to have the usually bright speakers, not any more

I also want a slightly brighter amp to accommodate the sometimes slightly to soft,dark sound, which don't sound right with brighter qed silver speaker cable

I would have loved to find a black PM 8006 but i couldn't and i think the last PM is the 6000, theres no new 5005 and 7005 and no 8006 on marantz's website (just old stock if some store has it)

I hope they will add usb and bluetooth to the next 6000 gen for easy connection for a pc (for those who don't have toslink or optical out) and for basic streaming ability (not to make it to expensive as when you add streaming)

With the speakers i used mission lx 2 i felt the 8005 didn't have enough bass (but a smooth sound), i fell the lx 1 which i own and have, has more bass like the q acoustics 3020 vs the 3010i

Reactions: DougK1

gasolin

New amp arrived

It's working as expected, the same setting on the sub besides different cable alot more bass

Earlier experince was that marantz could be a little brighter then a neutral amp

Not the case here, lot's of power,11 o'clock loud, no bass thumb from the subwoofer knock on wood or as we say in denmark 7-9-13

Last edited:

gasolin

Either a black cambridge audio cxa 61 black BECAUSE even when i got a PM6007 we were still talking about amps, me a the one i talked to from tape connection where i got my PM6007, he mentioned the cxa 61 since i wished the pm6007 had usb and bluetooth

The black edition for £600 normal price is considerable more expensive if stock, then the grey version

Or this bluetooth receiver https://hallaudio.com/en/produkter/traadloes-streaming/hall-connector/

Last edited:

podknocker

The black edition of the CXA61 is a limited edition and only 1000 being made. I prefer black devices to silver, as the displays don't stand out. I had a short lived preference to silver, but most of the stuff in silver has very poor finish and it must be a different process than making black boxes. Saying that, the matt black finish on my Audiolab Omnia is a real pain and scuffs easily. I don't think they tested it over a long period of normal use. Being able to clean a device and keep it in new condition is important for resale value.

Reactions: DougK1

podknocker

I think I'll keep my system until it dies, or I do. I'm not itching to upgrade at all, but you never know what's round the Class D streaming amp corner and prices will fall as they become more popular and mainstream. I would love a HIFI Rose RS520 but it's too much at £3399 so I'm going to wait until something nearly as good appears, at a lower price, or see if these RS520 units ever fall in price. It's still state of the art in HIFI terms, so these things still fetch a premium. There are several brands still up there, such as Cambridge Audio, NAD, Marantz and Denon and the middle ground is very busy. Most companies are making streamers now and I do like the Eversolo stuff. I'm wondering if Audiolab would ever release a Class D streamer, without a phono stage or CD player etc. Not used my Omnia's CD player for 2 years and I'm never going to buy a TT. I do like useful displays however, but the Marantz M1 and Denon Home Amp don't have one. I'm always going to be a 'one box solution' customer and I do like the fact most streamers and streaming amps are not the 'standard' 43cm HIFI width. The smaller the better really. The latest Arcam amps and streamer look OK, but it's all fresh air inside. They could have put the streamer in all of the amps as an extra feature, just in case you changed your mind and needed one, or they could have at least released the ST5 and CD5 as one box. There's more than enough room for streaming and CD player chips etc. This thing is 800 quid and probably cost 80 quid to make. No thanks. Just another company with no vision and not brave enough to step outside of their comfort zone. It MUST be 43cm!

https://www.stereonet.com/uk/images/uploads/5924/arcam_st5_interior__large_full.jpg

Last edited:

Steve983

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Last week I got a NAD 3240PE amplifier from 1987-89 fully serviced and recapped and in mint condition too.
Very pleased with the sound, superior to the 3020's that I have and gives my more modern Cambridge Audio amp a run for its money.

Attachments

• 20240717_152228.jpg
    20240717_152228.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 7

Jasonovich

I think I'll keep my system until it dies, or I do. I'm not itching to upgrade at all, but you never know what's round the Class D streaming amp corner and prices will fall as they become more popular and mainstream. I would love a HIFI Rose RS520 but it's too much at £3399 so I'm going to wait until something nearly as good appears, at a lower price, or see if these RS520 units ever fall in price. It's still state of the art in HIFI terms, so these things still fetch a premium. There are several brands still up there, such as Cambridge Audio, NAD, Marantz and Denon and the middle ground is very busy. Most companies are making streamers now and I do like the Eversolo stuff. I'm wondering if Audiolab would ever release a Class D streamer, without a phono stage or CD player etc. Not used my Omnia's CD player for 2 years and I'm never going to buy a TT. I do like useful displays however, but the Marantz M1 and Denon Home Amp don't have one. I'm always going to be a 'one box solution' customer and I do like the fact most streamers and streaming amps are not the 'standard' 43cm HIFI width. The smaller the better really. The latest Arcam amps and streamer look OK, but it's all fresh air inside. They could have put the streamer in all of the amps as an extra feature, just in case you changed your mind and needed one, or they could have at least released the ST5 and CD5 as one box. There's more than enough room for streaming and CD player chips etc. This thing is 800 quid and probably cost 80 quid to make. No thanks. Just another company with no vision and not brave enough to step outside of their comfort zone. It MUST be 43cm!

https://www.stereonet.com/uk/images/uploads/5924/arcam_st5_interior__large_full.jpg
Pod, if you were to upgrade now would you consider the all in one Yamaha rn2000?
I love the retro but that might not be your thing 😊

View: https://youtu.be/bcn1Cw1KQ3k?si=6_T_gfnSHdjVmUBM

podknocker

Hi Jason. Not my thing at all these days, although I've had and enjoyed various Yamaha kit several years ago. This thing is a bit big and bulky and has a phono stage etc. I'm not buying anything with features I won't be using and the VU meters are one of the things I hate about HIFI. They are completely useless and belong in recording studios, where levels need to be monitored and adjusted at the mixing desk etc. I have virtual ones on my Audiolab Omnia and they never get used. A cheaper HIFI Rose RS520 is what I'm waiting for. I bet this Yamaha sounds fantastic though and it will sit nicely in many living rooms I'm certain. Sadly, Yamaha has fallen into the overengineering trap and they have things like this on the product website: 'Completing the solid rigidity of the amplifier are its heavy-duty silver-plated brass feet firmly reinforcing the rich, foundational low-frequency response and filling it with musicality.' Utter nonsense. It's all a bit blingy and deceptive. I can guarantee silver plated brass feet won't be able to affect the sound. There's lots of this stuff, from many companies and I don't fall for the marketing snake oil these days. I can't see many people needing an FM coaxial socket for radio, when they can stream many stations at much better quality, This guy has the Yamaha sat next to a HIFI Rose and they are like chalk and cheese, with the huge, guaranteed to break, knobs and switches on the Yamaha and the HIFI Rose allowing you to choose several controls via the lovely display. As I mentioned, the Yamaha has silly VU meters, where the HIFI Rose doesn't, but allows you to choose several, if that's your thing. The HIFI Rose is a look to the future, but as you suggested, this Yamaha has a retro feel to it and very much feels like something from the past.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Hi Jason. Not my thing at all these days, although I've had and enjoyed various Yamaha kit several years ago. This thing is a bit big and bulky and has a phono stage etc. I'm not buying anything with features I won't be using and the VU meters are one of the things I hate about HIFI. They are completely useless and belong in recording studios, where levels need to be monitored and adjusted at the mixing desk etc. I have virtual ones on my Audiolab Omnia and they never get used. A cheaper HIFI Rose RS520 is what I'm waiting for. I bet this Yamaha sounds fantastic though and it will sit nicely in many living rooms I'm certain. Sadly, Yamaha has fallen into the overengineering trap and they have things like this on the product website: 'Completing the solid rigidity of the amplifier are its heavy-duty silver-plated brass feet firmly reinforcing the rich, foundational low-frequency response and filling it with musicality.' Utter nonsense. It's all a bit blingy and deceptive. I can guarantee silver plated brass feet won't be able to affect the sound. There's lots of this stuff, from many companies and I don't fall for the marketing snake oil these days. I can't see many people needing an FM coaxial socket for radio, when they can stream many stations at much better quality, This guy has the Yamaha sat next to a HIFI Rose and they are like chalk and cheese, with the huge, guaranteed to break, knobs and switches on the Yamaha and the HIFI Rose allowing you to choose several controls via the lovely display. As I mentioned, the Yamaha has silly VU meters, where the HIFI Rose doesn't, but allows you to choose several, if that's your thing. The HIFI Rose is a look to the future, but as you suggested, this Yamaha has a retro feel to it and very much feels something from the past.
It's a fair point Pod :)

The delivery of my Matrix Mini 1-4 hopefully arrives tomorrow, I had to wait for the second batch of deliveries, the seller had sold out, but I was kept in the loop.

I was set on the WiiM Ultra, I wanted to use it more for networking than streaming but it doesn't play DSD, which was a pain in the proverbial because nearly all my music library is in this format.
The Matrix has better sound quality and similiar touch screen display and plays DSD! It doesn't have bluetooth or WiFi and if you need a remote, it's an option.
The bigger sibling Matrix Mini i-4 Pro has all of the above, plus headphone amp and the original price much reduced but do I take the blue pill or the red one!

After weighting it all up, if I'd gone with the Pro there would have been an overlap, in terms of, some of the features are repeated elsewhere. I didn't require headamp because my Atoll IN100SE has it and if I need bluetooth, the SMSL SD-9 Network player has it but I think I'll sell it to recoup back some of the money that was spent on the Matrix.

I suppose, good things come to those who wait.

podknocker

Yamaha make some great kit, but I think their design philosophy and target audience are still stuck in the 80s. They don't seem to be able to redefine their brand, to allow them to include all the things people are really after these days. Phono stage, FM aerial socket, VU meters, 2 pairs of speaker outputs, tone contols, loudness button. All very 1980s and old school and none of this is on my wish list next time. It's a similar outlook to that I mentioned earlier by Arcam and other brands, where all their kit has to be the 'standard' 43cm wide. An exception to this idea is Cyrus, but they have the same case they've had for decades, which is now showing its limitations with many people wanting larger and clearer and often touch displays, to access comprehensive menus and features. Many companies are still tied to the ideas about HIFI they had decades ago and seem to be stuck in a rut. The HIFI Rose RS520 amongst several of their devices, was designed from the ground up, without the baggage or restrictions of previous designs. The bloke who released the HIFI Rose brand had a clean sheet of paper and has made some incredible products. If they could grab a bigger slice of the HIFI pie, perhaps they could produce their kit at lower prices and become a more mainstream brand, rather than the esoteric and exotic company they are still considered to be. It's a fairly new brand, compared to established brands such as Yamaha, but I think we do need fresh ideas about HIFI and technology in general.

Last edited:

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Yamaha make some great kit, but I think their design philosophy and target audience are still stuck in the 80s. They don't seem to be able to redefine their brand, to allow them to include all the things people are really after these days. Phono stage, FM aerial socket, VU meters, 2 pairs of speaker outputs, tone contols, loudness button. All very 1980s and old school and none of this is on my wish list next time. It's a similar outlook to that I mentioned earlier by Arcam and other brands, where all their kit has to be the 'standard' 43cm wide. An exception to this idea is Cyrus, but they have the same case they've had for decades, which is now showing its limitations with many people wanting larger and clearer and often touch displays, to access comprehensive menus and features. Many companies are still tied to the ideas about HIFI they had decades ago and seem to be stuck in a rut. The HIFI Rose RS520 amongst several of their devices, was designed from the ground up, without the baggage or restrictions of previous designs. The bloke who released the HIFI Rose brand had a clean sheet of paper and has made some incredible products. If they could grab a bigger slice of the HIFI pie, perhaps they could produce their kit at lower prices and become a more mainstream brand, rather than the esoteric and exotic company they are still considered to be. It's a fairly new brand, compared to established brands such as Yamaha, but I think we do need fresh ideas about HIFI and technology in general.
Actually, besides coming out with my modern Yamaha Zuma 125 in 2022 ;), I've seen Yamaha jump on the same Streaming wagon that many or most others have, with musicast, its special app for phones, of course, and much of the same modern crap that all modern types are buying. There's nothing 80s about their WXA and WXC pieces, for instance, sans meters, phono sections, A&B speakers, etc., etc.:

Reactions: Stuart83

podknocker

It's OK, but not ground breaking stuff. Not seeing much of these Yamaha streamers on the websites I frequent. You need to stand out these days and offer something a bit special. The HIFI Rose RS520 is special and does everything really well, although it is very expensive. I'm done with 'also ran' devices, offering average sound and features.

jjbomber

The HIFI Rose RS520 is special and does everything really well, although it is very expensive. I'm done with 'also ran' devices, offering average sound and features.
I don't think they are expensive. It's more a question of value for money and to put all the components in a system individually would cost a lot more.
With 'also ran' devices, the old saying 'buy cheap, buy twice' springs to mind.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
But surely it could be perceived as bad value for money even if its not expensive.
Precisely, and while as always some things are better, there is so much, increasingly, where the prices far exceed the marginal gains. Streaming is hot, involving many players, ever-new features on unending models, and may be especially value-suspect.

Dom

Precisely, and while as always some things are better, there is so much, increasingly, where the prices far exceed the marginal gains. Streaming is hot, involving many players, ever-new features on unending models, and may be especially value-suspect.
Perhaps all competitive monopolies exist within a capitalist market which includes high-fidelity audio.

gasolin

I see aptx does it do Ldac ?
It's the best experience I've had with Bluetooth

Not shure what it does but say it say A2DP, aptX on there website

Just to have bluetooth option (instead of a more expensive streamer like a wiim mini) and don't have to denpendt on a battery that only has a standby time less then 10 days, has it got power when you need it ? , i opted for a non battery power unit, just bluetooth, not else,nothing fancy and fare smaller and cheaper like something like a iFi Audio ZEN Blue V2 that costs just a little above 200 euros

Reactions: Stuart83

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts