Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

In for a penny, in for a pound, well with me it's in for a hundred pounds!
I've replaced my SMSL SD-9 network player with Matrix Mini i-4 streamer, really first class.

I also realised afterwards you can download the app on your phone and use it like a remote but also similiar to the WiiM you can access your NAS, USB SSD via the streaming app which is good. But I did pay separately for the remote, no regrets, maybe I'm getting old, no I am old!
Sometimes you don't want all the fuffle, you just want to press a button and hear the music. Yeah I can understand the vinyl advocates, 'Put the Needle on the Record'!

I decided to purchase another JF Digital Transport for the Matrix. The original is married to the Eversolo, so no way am I going to deprive the nice setup I have in my study.

So I got another one, the price has come down to £342, it was originally £450. I really like this device, it has a USB output connection, yes many come with I2S outputs but where can you find a standard I2S cable that doesn't cost more than the actual player?

With digital outputs, including SDIF and optical you get all the album information and graphics, the USB option also allows me sufficient bandwidth for DSD512 and high resolution DOP.
Two weeks for Aliexpress delivery, not necessary purchase but a welcome addition that will complement nicely the Matrix.

1722703344647.png

1722703421280.png
1722703526879.png

Jasonovich

why not a wiim ultra ?
I was originally set on the WiiM Ultra, for most people not an issue but for me it was too much of a compromise. Most of my music is stored in DSD format and the Ultra isn't compatible, perhaps a future firmware fix will put this right.
And, price of Matrix Mini 1-4 orginally £650, can be had for £500 approx and the sound quality matches the Eversolo DMP-A6, so it was the best option for me. The Ultra is the better value of the two but the Matrix is a solid performer, beautifully constructed, excellent software, responsive touchscreen and a good alternative if you must have DSD.
Shake it all about, you do the hokey-cokey and you turn around ...
I know, 😂

Last edited:

Jasonovich

In for a penny, in for a pound, well with me it's in for a hundred pounds!
I've replaced my SMSL SD-9 network player with Matrix Mini i-4 streamer, really first class.

I also realised afterwards you can download the app on your phone and use it like a remote but also similiar to the WiiM you can access your NAS, USB SSD via the streaming app which is good. But I did pay separately for the remote, no regrets, maybe I'm getting old, no I am old!
Sometimes you don't want all the fuffle, you just want to press a button and hear the music. Yeah I can understand the vinyl advocates, 'Put the Needle on the Record'!

I decided to purchase another JF Digital Transport for the Matrix. The original is married to the Eversolo, so no way am I going to deprive the nice setup I have in my study.

So I got another one, the price has come down to £342, it was originally £450. I really like this device, it has a USB output connection, yes many come with I2S outputs but where can you find a standard I2S cable that doesn't cost more than the actual player?

With digital outputs, including SDIF and optical you get all the album information and graphics, the USB option also allows me sufficient bandwidth for DSD512 and high resolution DOP.
Two weeks for Aliexpress delivery, not necessary purchase but a welcome addition that will complement nicely the Matrix.

View attachment 7171

View attachment 7172
View attachment 7173
I'm thinking, where am I going to stack the Digital Transport. It's wider than the Matrix, I guess I need to stack the streamer top of the digital transport.
It also cross my mind, the heat from the amp isn't ideal in terms longevity, especially when I have the Matrix placed on top of the amp and is covering the air ventilation holes; and yes, I need to clean the dust.
I have a solution. One walnut chopping board, six PCS 15cmx18mm Walnut Dowel Rod Sticks, twelve Rubber End Caps 20mm ID Vinyl Round Tube Bolt Cap Cover Thread Protectors and apply 'No More Nails' glue and presto!

Note: had to double sleeve the rubber caps on the rod, this gave a tighter fit and the extra layer better absorption.
Yes it's important you give your HiFi Plenty of ventilation and this has done the trick.

1722782829377.png
1722782917363.png
1722782614353.png

1722783354231.png
1722782671111.png

Felipe007

May 6, 2024
Visit site
Surprisingly, I'm going into stereo instead of 5.1 set and I have already ordered a RP-600M II's to replace my R-50M's. Next will be some fine amp to accompany them. I feel so mixed, there are too much options to choose. I see your nice inspiring setups, when I will finally finish mine, I'll take a photos how I pimped out mine recently as it could also inspire ssome onego Wiim amp is tempting little precious gear, there are chances that this will be my another purchase after my freshly RP-600M II's I'm waiting for.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Surprisingly, I'm going into stereo instead of 5.1 set and I have already ordered a RP-600M II's to replace my R-50M's. Next will be some fine amp to accompany them. I feel so mixed, there are too much options to choose. I see your nice inspiring setups, when I will finally finish mine, I'll take a photos how I pimped out mine recently as it could also inspire ssome onego Wiim amp is tempting little precious gear, there are chances that this will be my another purchase after my freshly RP-600M II's I'm waiting for.
Ah, the Klipsch RP-600M MKII, I always loved the look of those, stunning pair of speakers. Many have commented that these can sound a little bright, I suspect a warmish sounding amp will compliment those better.

The WiiM amp possibly works well with the Klipsch, not really sure? No doubt someone from the WHF forum will share their expert opinion regarding the choice of amp. :)
Do some digging but if you're set on the WiiM amp, please don't let me discourage you, I'm sure it will be fine. All I'm saying is look around for other alternatives that might work better with the Klipsch.

UPDATE:

Warmer amps like the Marantz will work well with the Klipsch. Take it away Randy!

View: https://youtu.be/T5XHvZxek90?si=tb5_I4lGDJ6BlF0q

Last edited:
Reactions: Felipe007

Felipe007

May 6, 2024
Visit site
I've seen some reviews, mostly positive. I know about their specific sound character, I enjoy the sound of R-50M's so I think the RP-600M II will serve me good. I bought them at a discount, roughly 400 euros, if I will find a better alternative, I can sell these in my country with profit. And about the amp the AB class is tempting, I care more about sound over streaming, BT, and other addons.

Jasonovich

I hate to say it but io might change my speakers
Do you still have the B&W 607 S2 Anniversary Edition speakers?
I always find when I update part of my HiFi, I almost always end up, replacing something else. When you change something, you can inadvertently change the balance and aaagh you end up coughing up some more 😊
Still, you should get a good price for the B&Ws, what did you have in mind?

gasolin

I don't have B&W 600

I can't stand there highs

I tried the first gen S1 though the s2's would improve the high didn't s3 sounds better but still get to much in the highs at high spl

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I'm thinking, where am I going to stack the Digital Transport. It's wider than the Matrix, I guess I need to stack the streamer top of the digital transport.
It also cross my mind, the heat from the amp isn't ideal in terms longevity, especially when I have the Matrix placed on top of the amp and is covering the air ventilation holes; and yes, I need to clean the dust.
I have a solution. One walnut chopping board, six PCS 15cmx18mm Walnut Dowel Rod Sticks, twelve Rubber End Caps 20mm ID Vinyl Round Tube Bolt Cap Cover Thread Protectors and apply 'No More Nails' glue and presto!

Note: had to double sleeve the rubber caps on the rod, this gave a tighter fit and the extra layer better absorption.
Yes it's important you give your HiFi Plenty of ventilation and this has done the trick.

View attachment 7178
View attachment 7179
View attachment 7176

View attachment 7180
View attachment 7177
Just scrolled through things as I do and I must say your keyboard genuinely makes me smile 😁
😎

Jasonovich

Just scrolled through things as I do and I must say your keyboard genuinely makes me smile 😁
😎
Thanks, I'm also a PC nut, I like to build and customise. If you have an MX Cherry keyboard or mechanical keyboard there's so much options to customise your keycaps. I have gold plated, brass, copper, zinc, aluminium metal keycaps, collectively costs about £100+, crazy I know :)

Oh, here's a better picture.
1723732551557.png
I think my PC might be Buggy :ROFLMAO:
1723733946835.png

Attachments

• 1723732729605.png
    1723732729605.png
    903.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: Stuart83
Thanks, I'm also a PC nut, I like to build and customise. If you have an MX Cherry keyboard or mechanical keyboard there's so much options to customised. I have gold plated, copper, zinc, aluminium metal keycaps, collectively costs about £100+, crazy I know :)
I have a Filco Majestouch 2. Bought it with yellow keycaps nearly 6 years ago, then 2 years ago switched to a graduated purple set.

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
I do have a McIntosh amp and it definitely isn't tucked away. Neither is his McIntosh amp; pride of place top left, rather than the CD at bottom right.

Sorry, I like my network receiver on top with the iPod and Cambridge iPod dock.
The MCD12000 being on the bottom right shelf isn't a problem for me at least...;)

The new McIntosh MCD12000 is a excellent player. Check it out before looking at CH Precision, Accuphase, Esoteric, Soulution, dCS, Boulder, or any other digital playback devices...just saying. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts