Audioabs 8000A + Kef R3-meta

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi Laurent,

this combination will work. But (jesus!), R3 Meta even they are not over expensive are demanding on their partners. You may here some shortcommings in comparison with more modern amps. So do not expect resuts like "best in class". But if your amp is in good condition (no hiss, not noisy potenciometer, no strange clicks by changing inputs), than you may be happy. Till you have budget for something like Rega Elex mk4 or Cambridge Audio CXA 81(MK1 or MK2) or good Rotel, Arcam Radia...I personaly tried combo Kef R7 with Audia Flight 3S and also with Bryston B60R. Both were excellent. From those amps is Bryston the best one. It is very musical and reliable, "king on the hill".
Also small Moon 240 (used one), will be excellent combination. I personaly prefer Dynaudio to Kef, but this is just my preference. Kef is very good brand. BR.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, you have to try yourself. Audiolab 8000A is nearly 40 years old design. KEF R3 Meta is from different age, even century. As Al ears exlained your room interaction is important. Same quality of your source. It must be very good one. Let us know what was result of your search.

Laurent MEYER

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site
The source is a FiiO double DSC M17, or a Technics SL-1210GR2. The amp. is a MKI-RCA 1984, rebuilt. Bsically I have the choice between the R3 meta and Buchardt S400 MKII.

I Just want knoxw if they will work as I can t test them. What will be the better for bass head...
Thank you

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, your source components are very good, esp Technics Turntable. I do not know your amp (is it tube or solide state?). Both speakers you select are very good. KEF has more focus on details and "bang"=macrodynamic. Bass is also very good with impact. They are not so easy regarding placement in the room (you have to play a bit and look for optimum). Buchardt are more balanced, less "rockstars/Kef", more jazz and acoustic music oriented. Their bass is deeper and a bit more under control. And I think their 3D sound is more accurate that at KEF. In small to medium room they do not need subwoofer. My choice here will be... Dynaudio Speciale 40. They are like chameleon with very good micro and macro dynamic, very good balanced sound and also bass has power and clarity. Regarding music, they are very universal, not selective. All those speakers are very good ones. But they need excellent amp. Here I am not so sure in your case. BR. Juraj

Hi, your source components are very good, esp Technics Turntable. I do not know your amp (is it tube or solide state?). Both speakers you select are very good. KEF has more focus on details and "bang"=macrodynamic. Bass is also very good with impact. They are not so easy regarding placement in the room (you have to play a bit and look for optimum). Buchardt are more balanced, less "rockstars/Kef", more jazz and acoustic music oriented. Their bass is deeper and a bit more under control. And I think their 3D sound is more accurate that at KEF. In small to medium room they do not need subwoofer. My choice here will be... Dynaudio Speciale 40. They are like chameleon with very good micro and macro dynamic, very good balanced sound and also bass has power and clarity. Regarding music, they are very universal, not selective. All those speakers are very good ones. But they need excellent amp. Here I am not so sure in your case. BR. Juraj
Good choices however I think the Dynaudio deserve an amp with a bit more grunt. The Audiolab was good in it's day and, if in good condition, no doubt it will still perform well today. Synergy is the point lost by many who simply buy five star products and assume they will work well together.
Nothing wrong with having speakers that cost a lot more than the amplifier if they wirk well together and the speakers work well in your particular listening room.
I haven't heard the Buchardts because of the way they are sold but have heard the KEFs. If this is the only pairing the OP has in mind my money would be on the Buchardts.

Laurent MEYER

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site
Thank you for your answers !
I may give a little bit more of informations:
- The Audiolabs is rebuilt, sounds like new ( almost :) )
- The room is tiny, maybe 10m² (my office). So only bookshelf.
- After hours of reading (and BS), I tend to go with KEF... Dynaudio are out of my league.
. I am looking for a nice sound at low/medium volume wih bass (I am a sort of bass head :)), I know that this is going to be hard, in this type of package.
So can the 8000A + Kef R3 Meta on other can give me that ?
Again Thank You for your answers...

The R3 is large for a ‘bookshelf’ speaker. You might have too much bass. Check the dimensions, because I’d go for something smaller in that space, unless I could dedicate the space with matching stands.

A shame you’ve invested in the amp, as active KEF LS50 wireless or LSX might be more suitable as they can compensate for close to wall placement.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Thank you for your answers !
I may give a little bit more of informations:
- The Audiolabs is rebuilt, sounds like new ( almost :) )
- The room is tiny, maybe 10m² (my office). So only bookshelf.
- After hours of reading (and BS), I tend to go with KEF... Dynaudio are out of my league.
. I am looking for a nice sound at low/medium volume wih bass (I am a sort of bass head :)), I know that this is going to be hard, in this type of package.
So can the 8000A + Kef R3 Meta on other can give me that ?
Again Thank You for your answers...
Hi Laurent, thanks for sharing more info. I think also, that for 10m² will be Kef r3 simply "too much of good things" in bass area. And I see you really love your amp and want to keep it(I like it, I am the same). Now I will recommend new QAcoustics 5040 for your room. These are standmounts for some 800 eur+ stands. There a very good and universal speakers. They are not so demanding on amp like Kef, Dynaudio. Also no issue with your amp. I think this will very good combination, where your amp can shine. I have had Cyrus One amp refurbished "candy". Instead of changing amp I have changed several speakers till I liked what I hear😀. BR. Juraj

Laurent MEYER

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site
So maybe the 5040 (close to a wall) can be a better choice than the 5020 + stands? At the price goes, it's gonna be almost the same.
As you already understand, It's more of about the right setup than money. I bother you for a while now, at least you know my specs ! :)
Laurent

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, if you put 5040 close to the wall, you will have more bass (but less precise). When they will stand some two feets away from wall, sound will be more precise and balanced with better sound staging. Depending what you wish from your hifi. Same for bookshelfs. Both 5020 and 5040 are class leaders and your Audiolab 8000a will drive them without problem. I think also 5040 will work in your room. BR.

Laurent MEYER

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site
Hello BR,
OK, so I am going with a pair of 5020... But I still have these Buchardts in mind, would they work in my config/specs at low volume ?
Thank you again BR...

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, Burchards will for sure need to be positioned more inside the room. They have passive radiators on the back wall. They can not be standing so close to the wall. And for them I will for sure consider better amp than your Audiolab. BR.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts