2017 Focal Utopia

whattodo

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I found second hand 2017 Focal Utopia. He is asking 2.000 usd for it. It is slightly used headphones. What do you think? Worth to buy?

They are certainly excellent headphones and, providing the seller is honest about how much they have been used and, they have been looked after as such expensive headphones should be, i.e. very carefully, they are probably worth it.

What do you intend to drive them with, it will need to be very good to make them sound their best?

Reactions: DougK1

whattodo

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site
I have Qudelix 5K, and Fiio M11 Plus ESS. One one of my concerns is that it is little old, 2017, and new version of headphones was released. I searched but could not find differences between 2017 and 2022 variants.

Last edited:
I have Qudelix 5K, and Fiio M11 Plus ESS. One one of my concerns is that it is little old, 2017, and new version of headphones was released. I searched but could not find differences between 2017 and 2022 variants.
There are reviews for both on this site but, I wouldn't feel I was losing out with the old version. Bear in mind that headphones at this level will be very revealing of any shortcomings, in your hardware or the recordings you listen too, much more so than your Celestees or my Elegias, good though they are.

BTW, I don't know about US prices but, the new Utopias cost £4699 in the UK today.

whattodo

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site
I have Celestee)) but it is new for me. Just I did not want to loose opportunity to buy Utopia if it is worth to buy as it is 2017 model

Last edited:
I have Celestee)) but it is new for me. Just I did not want to loose opportunity to buy Utopia if it is worth to buy as it is 2017 model
Are you happy with the Celestees, if you are, why bother buying Utopias? I wouldn't bother buying Utopias unless I could also afford to upgrade from my Pathos Converto. On the other hand, if the Utopias are in as good condition as claimed, $2000 seems like a good price. Only you can decide if they are worth it to you.

whattodo

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site
I am happy with Celestee. No doubt.

It just looks to me that 2.000 usd good price for mint condition Utopia. However , I could not be sure if it is worth to buy since it is 7 years old headphones.

whattodo

Jul 27, 2024
Visit site

It just looks to me that 2.000 usd good price for mint condition Utopia. However , I could not be sure if it is worth to buy since it is 7 years old headphones.
On the other hand, I understood from your post that I will also need better amplifier to drive it.

If the Utopias are in as good condition as stated and, little used, then $2000 does seem like a good price. Only you can decide if you are happy about buying 7 year old headphones. If you are not sure, don’t do it, your Celestees are very good headphones.
On the other hand, I understood from your post that I will also need better amplifier to drive it.
That is certainly my view. A few months after I bought my Elegias, I upgraded from an Audiolab M-DAC to the Pathos Converto mk2, it really brought them to life and showed what they can do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts