bbc 1 hd,itv hd

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
so we get bbc 1 hd with no regional programmes at launch,and itv hd showing wrong region well after launch!

im i the only one that thinks this is very daft?

if the broadcasters can't get it right at the start,perhaps they should hold back until they can get it right,nothing half baked.

if i buy something in a shop thats faulty i take it back for a replacement

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Have a look at the sky program guide from 970 upwards (not downwards!), look at all the regional channels that need to be transmitted just so you can choose your own region, how do you think they're going to fit all those regions, in HD, with the limited bandwidth available on the satellite (nevermind terrestrial broadcasting). Even if they removed all the sd regional channels there wouldn't be room for HD versions.

daveh75

Exactly as the _lhc says it's about bandwidth (and costs, in the case ITV at least).

IIRC there are 18 regional versions of BBC1, to broadcast all those regions in HD it would require 4 entire satellite transponders.

There currently isn't any spare spot beam satellite capacity at 28.2E ( PSB/FTA channels have to broadcast from satellites with a spot beam because of rights issues) and won't be any until Q2 of next year when Astra 1N is launched to provide additional capacity.

I'd personally rather have an HD channel that can't offer regional programming than no channel at all, and don't care what ITV do.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:

I'd personally rather have an HD channel that can't offer regional programming than no channel at all, and don't care what ITV do.

Likewise here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts