Basic advice required please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all and Happy Easter!

Can some of you please tell me what is required to play music at decent quality through my current hifi, but instead of using my cd's?

I am currently in the pain in the rear process of backing up my cd's to my pc.

I don't want to use the pc to have to select the tracks as it is in a upstairs room, my hifi is downstairs.

Do i need a i-pod,a DAC, a NAS, an external harddrive? Also how do you 'see' what you are selecting/browsing - i've heard of things such as squeezbox and a thing called Sonos - but not sure how they work.

Budget? Not sure - Not looking at the Naim HDX or Olive 4D that's for sure!

I have:
P.C
Wireless Broadband
CDP
AMP
Speakers

Sorry for the basic advice rquired but whilst i'm ok with computers and with music, i've never looked at beyond putting in a cd into the cdp and hitting play.

Thanks

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Take a look at this. It does require a screen (TV) to view the files. You'll also need a DAC to convert the optical out to analogue to feed your hifi amp. If you have an AV amp, these usually have an optical input so, strictly, a DAC isn't necessary.

There are many DACs available. The Beresford or Dac Magic are usual recommended first options at around £200.

A

Anonymous

Small point for you to consider. You say you are "backing up" your CD's to PC. Make sure that:

a) you use a lossless format

b) any device you buy can support your choosen format.

So if you back up as .WAV files for example and buy a media streamer like the Lacie Cinema (example) you need to ensure it will cope with .WAV files. ( I deliberately picked this as an example of a very low budget solution to the problem you are trying to solve. I'd get something a little more HiFi if you don't want to lose any sound quality. That said this type of solution is great for parties or casual listening but you do need to have the TV turned on to navigate the menus.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts