bad reviews -a fly on the wall account

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Here's one for the WHF review team....

After i'd finished reading the slating review of the saxon CD300SE in october's issue, i was left wondering, what on earth to the manufacturers say when they see a lousy review such as this one??!! do they ever try to explain why it dosent justify what is written? Also do you guys ever have to explainto these people why you gave em such a hard time>?

Just after some fly-on-the-wall info!
emotion-2.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Why dragging it up again?? I thought we said our peace in this forum already. I noticed the new talk amp didn't get a great review (1st test) either but hey it's like a glass of wine isn't it? some like red some like white and some doesn't like wine at all!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"] I noticed the new talk amp didn't get a great review (1st test) either [/quote]

Oh...there is a strange pattern here,from past rave reviews on cable talk cables,amps,to CD players beating the old reference Audiolabs,past highly reviewed Saxon CD players,they have suddenly turned into poor,(being polite there,products),with a poor CD player,poor cables,a now the Talk amp is nothing Special,curious as to how something so good,became so poor?
Thaiman, did you get to hear the Saxon CD player by any chance?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="silly"]curious as to how something so good,became so poor? [/quote]

The football team I support - Ipswich Town (go Tractor Boys!!!) - used to win the FA Cup and even the European Championship, and now we're in the mid-reaches of what is effectively the second division of English football.

New rivals with a different approach and lots of money come along and things change - it's no different in any other industry: sport, business, hi-fi....

The only thing that doesn't change is WHF reviewing on a performance-per-pound basis - we're only interested in the value a reader is getting for their cash, whoever makes the product.

A

Anonymous

i think wat clare is tring to say is thet saxon is not gone backwards but that the opposition is got so much better at a better price wile saxon stood still

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]Why dragging it up again?? I thought we said our peace in this forum already.[/quote]

oh well do excuse me!!! firstly i didnt realise I was "dragging anything up". Secondly, where is the harm in what I have just said!!????
I was merely thinking aloud ,if thats alright with you!?!?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[quote user="silly"]curious as to how something so good,became so poor? [/quote]

The football team I support - Ipswich Town (go Tractor Boys!!!) - used to win the FA Cup and even the European Championship, and now we're in the mid-reaches of what is effectively the second division of English football.

New rivals with a different approach and lots of money come along and things change - it's no different in any other industry: sport, business, hi-fi....

The only thing that doesn't change is WHF reviewing on a performance-per-pound basis - we're only interested in the value a reader is getting for their cash, whoever makes the product.

[/quote]

Oh,thats not a good illustration,sorry,but we are talking about 11 different players,men,this is a box of electronics,they dont change that much,and money has nothing to do with how good something sounds,marketing and a nice shinny box do,lol.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="sex"]i think wat clare is tring to say is thet saxon is not gone backwards but that the opposition is got so much better at a better price wile saxon stood still[/quote]

Do you really think things have improved that much?Many people find older kit to sound better than todays kit,but this standing still idea is marketing talk,not reality talk...sorry.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="clivej"][quote user="Thaiman"]Why dragging it up again?? I thought we said our peace in this forum already.[/quote] oh well do excuse me!!! firstly i didnt realise I was "dragging anything up". Secondly, where is the harm in what I have just said!!???? I was merely thinking aloud ,if thats alright with you!?!?[/quote]

No problem with me mate, go ahead!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]The football team I support - Ipswich Town (go Tractor Boys!!!) - used to win
the FA Cup and even the European Championship,[/quote]

That does it! ON THE BALL....CITY, NEVER MIND THE DANGER.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]

No problem with me mate, go ahead![/quote]

thank you!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's certainly not marketing talk!

Investment in research and development, tooling and other manufacturing processes can lead to better-performing, better-built and better-finished products. The bigger companies also have the advantages of economies of scale, which they can pass on to customers in the form of lower-cost products that represent better value.

That doesn't mean the big-brand kit is always the best - which is why you'll find us rave about small companies (the vast majority of which never advertise with us, if that's where you're going with this).

For example, the forthcoming Awards have a significant number of winners from the industry's 'small fish' - but what they have in common with all their fellow winners is the very best performance you can buy for the money, along with great build and excellent usability. There's a heartening amount of innovation, too, even in traditional hi-fi categories....

To compete, a company needs to keep innovating and benchmarking its products against its current competitors in terms of price, design and performance. Past glories aren't enough!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="silly"]Thaiman, did you get to hear the Saxon CD player by any chance?[/quote]

No shop in East Anglia stock them!! To be honest I forgot all about it already! (too exciting with my new toys)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]It's certainly not marketing talk!

Investment in research and development, tooling and other manufacturing processes can lead to better-performing, better-built and better-finished products. The bigger companies also have the advantages of economies of scale, which they can pass on to customers in the form of lower-cost products that represent better value.

That doesn't mean the big-brand kit is always the best - which is why you'll find us rave about small companies (the vast majority of which never advertise with us, if that's where you're going with this).

For example, the forthcoming Awards have a significant number of winners from the industry's 'small fish' - but what they have in common with all their fellow winners is the very best performance you can buy for the money, along with great build and excellent usability. There's a heartening amount of innovation, too, even in traditional hi-fi categories....

To compete, a company needs to keep innovating and benchmarking its products against its current competitors in terms of price, design and performance. Past glories aren't enough![/quote]

I see it more as money talks,the bigger you are the more you can spend on marketing,ala B&W,BOSE,therefore marketing talks,why do so many people buy BOSE?not because of it's sonics,but because of it's marketing clout,B&W front are rear pages on many magazines,whereas the small guys who are making better sounding products don't get that kind of exposure,result?no one buys apart from the enlightened few.

Bigger companies have the economy of scale,they are businesses,they don't pass on their savings to customers,nice thought though.

I find the big brand products extremely unimaginative,I prefer the smaller guys that have the same products in their cataloge 10 years down the line,because they did it right the first time,audio hasn't changed that much,a good product remains a good product,a good designer remains a good designer,and these are the product ranges I prefer to support because it's the same guy who does the work.

Nice to see the new brands pick up some awards,there is some truly wonderful sounding products out there who are deserving.than those who just change model numbers to keep it in the public eye.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="silly"]

[big snippage - the few words below are enough to sum it up]

...,result?no one buys apart from the enlightened few.

[/quote]

Beautiful. Oh to be an enlightned one. Hopefully, one day I can be an enlightened one!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts