B&W PV1D or Velodyne SPL-1000 Ultra Subwoofer?

Conway

Jun 10, 2007
Visit site
Hello All

I am looking at replacing my ageing Subwoofer. There are some good sales on now in Australia and I am looking at Velodyne SPL-1000 Ultra at AU$1678 or B&W PV1D for AU$1,869.

Which one should I go with?

Thanks,

Conway

Conway

Jun 10, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. SVS seems to be a name I keep hearing in my recent search. I had never heard of them before but everyone here is Australia seems to be very fond of them. They are cheap too, SB-1000 is $699, about a 1/3 the cost of the PV1D.

If these are so good howcome What HiFi don't seem to review or mention them? Sounds like I would be wasting my money getting the PV1D or SPL-1000 when compared to the SVS?

Which SVS model would you recommend David?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Conway said:
Thanks for the reply. SVS seems to be a name I keep hearing in my recent search. I had never heard of them before but everyone here is Australia seems to be very fond of them. They are cheap too, SB-1000 is $699, about a 1/3 the cost of the PV1D.

If these are so good howcome What HiFi don't seem to review or mention them? Sounds like I would be wasting my money getting the PV1D or SPL-1000 when compared to the SVS?

Which SVS model would you recommend David?

At a fraction of the cost, you could buy two SVS models, and benefit from better room coverage.

Just because a product is good, it doesn't mean that WHF have reviewed it. If products are made available to WHF for review, they'll review them. If not, it is down to WHF to buy them to review them, which isn't something they're always willing to do.

As for recommendations, if you want accuracy and control, the sealed SB2000 will be worth looking at, and of you want something more fun, the ported PB2000. I personally would go with two SB2000s.

nirvy111

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I bought a velodyne subwoofer(cht12 I think it was) a couple of years ago based on a whathifi review, they gave it 5 stars and it was a heap of rubbish. Honestly I don't think whathifi knows what a good subwoofer is, anyway the svs and power sound audio subwoofers are excellent value in Australia and supposedly excellent subs, never heard them myself, that's what I'd be buying.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I had both PV1 as well as PV1D and also when I had the PV1D, I had the 608 for a smaller place.

My suggestion based on the experience, though PV1(D) is good, I would opt for a sub with mic based built-in EQ as it is not simple to tune the sub.

In a smaller room, the 608 performed very well which makes me believe that the higher priced subs are not such a great value for money. Also, with PV1(D) there are practical challenges given its shape, it is not flexible with positioning (it fires both ways) as well as one needs to be careful with vacuuming etc as there is no protection for the woofers.

Currently I gave up on the idea of a seperate subwoofer and go with the speakers which have enough frequency response to satisfy my needs or go active route (like Beolab 9) where the bass frequency reporduction is not much of a challenge.

nirvy111 said:
I bought a velodyne subwoofer(cht12 I think it was) a couple of years ago based on a whathifi review, they gave it 5 stars and it was a heap of rubbish. Honestly I don't think whathifi knows what a good subwoofer is, anyway the svs and power sound audio subwoofers are excellent value in Australia and supposedly excellent subs, never heard them myself, that's what I'd be buying.

I haven't heard that model, but have heard the SPL1000. It is very very good. Velodyne is a well respected manufacturer of subwoofers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
nirvy111 said:

I haven't heard that model, but have heard the SPL1000. It is very very good. Velodyne is a well respected manufacturer of subwoofers.

Absolutely.

The SPL range are very good, and the "Ultra" upgrade improves them further.......they shouldn't be compared with the lower priced "boom boxes" in the range. They also have a microphone and EQ.

HomeSound

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I would opt for the Velodyne over the B&W but depending on your room size and layout the two sub approach David mentions is worth exploring.

TRENDING THREADS