B&W or MA RX6 plus Satelite Speaker Advice

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the process of putting together a 5.1 system. It will be my main source of music as well as for blu rays/tv. I've got a Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver and I'm now looking at speaker combinations. I'm probably going to buy either B&W 684's or Monitor Audio silver RX6's for front left and right. I've demo'd these with my yamaha, and I'm very happy with both. Will probably have another demo in the next few weeks to decide which speakers to get. I'd just like some advice on the centre channel and rear satelites. I want a small compact speaker for centre and rears.

If I went with the B&W 684's would B&W M1's work well? Anyone have this set up?

Should I go with the MA RX6's would they work well with the M1's?

I would go for the Apex, but I can see this option will cost double or even more than the highly rated M1's.

Thanks

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The RX6 for me is the better package.

It is a good idea not to compromise on the center speaker, if you opt for a smaller speaker you need to be very careful with balancing out the sound across the front stage and the chances are the RX6 (which I assume you will run in Biamp mode) will over power it. Remember, the center is perhaps the most important speaker in your system, for this reason I would strongly suggest you stick to the RX Center for a better experience.

For rears - have you considered the RXFX? They will sit flush on your wall and are not intrusive or on stands. Same brand of and range, this will bring balance to your system.

Alternatively for rears:

I have heard people using KEF eggs for rears and they seem to work pretty well in tighter more confined spaces.

Hope that helps.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Which ever you go for try and get the matching centre channel as otherwise you could have real problems with cohesion at the front. I would imagine that rears are not as important but at least sticking with the same make might be a good idea as they tend to have similar sonic characteristics

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the advice, I'll take a look at the RX. Problem is my tv unit doesn't really lend itself to larger centre speakers. That's why I was considering the M1's or apex. Do you think the apex centre would be adequate? I'll also take a look at the RXFX. Cheers

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes the TV unit problem, in the end I had chunky monkey build me a cabinet for that very reason.

Could you wall mount the TV and place the speaker on top of your cabinet/stand? That would bring the center closer to ear level, which is the ideal height, but not crucial.

Apex is good, but I would still advise the same all around for the fronts. Or save a little more and get the complete Apex system if you can, that way you solve many of the issues you have.

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've only just bought a new unit, doh!! I think I'll have to go for the move the tv up option, and place the centre speaker on the unit. I want floor standers for my left and right as satelite fall short when it comes to music.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Even with films you can't match a floor standing speaker in my opinion. Yes move the tv up, brackets are not too expensive these days.

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Would you have any other suggestions of floor standing speakers worth auditioning? They will have to be front port and perform reasonably when positioned close to a wall. When I auditioned the B&W and MA I made a point of positioning them to how they will go in my living room. I was quite surprised by how well they performed.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
In this price range the RX6 is really the pinnacle, however why not try the RX8 fronts instead, they are better for music especially.

Others to try....

Tannoy Signature

Dali Ikon 6

To get better you have to start going up in price, like the CM8 package.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
In this price range the RX6 is really the pinnacle, however why not try the RX8 fronts instead, they are better for music especially.

I agree . I found as part of a cinema setup there was little between them, certainly not worth the extra 250. For stereo on the other hand I found the rx8 to be substantially better across all frequencies and for me was well worth paying the difference as I mostly listen to 2 channel music.

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the RX8 is a little large for my room and I've read it works best in a large room with plenty of space to breath. I think I'll audition the B&W and RX6 again plus the two other tannoy and deli

Enjoy your weekends

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I noticed you have CM8's, what do you think to them? Would they perform well positioned close to a wall? [approx 200mm)

I know in a ideal situation speakers should be positioned with plenty of space around them, unfortunately my living room won't allow this.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My CM8's are roughtly 2 foot from the side wall and roughly a foot off the rear. No issues with reflection :) Don't get too caught up about being close to walls, as long as you are not right up against the wall you will be ok. 200mm is close but still ok. I have backed mine up that close before and it does not affect the sound as much as you may think.

The CM8 package is wonderful, very balanced and conrolled when listening to music or watching movies, paired off with the Pioneer you can't go wrong! That reminds me, the RX packages work extremelly well with Pioneer, I would go so far as to say they are a match made in heaven!

As for the RX8, every speaker needs room to breathe, the RX8 should still perform well in your situation. If you have the budget, I would strongly advise you give them a go.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Yamaha and monitor audio also work very well together.

I would try as many speakers as you can as everybody has a slightly different preference. My speakers are 18 inches from the back wall which I think sounds best however I have placed them closer and it's not that bad. Slightly more bass which closes the mid range in slightly but it still sounds very good. 200mm should be fine and you can always play around with a rear port bung otherwise.

I can recommend the RX8 and I've heard good things about cm8 so see if you can try both and if possible while on demo ask if they can be placed 200mm from the back wall, you may be very surprised how good they sound. Don't forget reviewers have a dedicated room and so can place them optimally but in most people's living space there is usually compromise somewhere.

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll add the RX8's to my list for audition. I did make a point of getting the nice chappy in the local hifi shop to position the speakers close to the rear wall, when I had my last demo. To add further complications the left hand speaker will be close to a corner. Maybe I should just buy a new house!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts