B&W MT30 V MA Apex 5.1 - Opinions please?!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all.

Just about to break virginity to surround sound sytem as in throes of updating my Arcam Solo to Arcam Movie 5.1. Up until now I wired my 42" Plasma through my Solo to my Altos.

Now to make use of the 5 x 50w amps I could use the Arcam Muso but having demoed the B&W MT30 I think latter has the edge. My problem is that musicality is far more important to me thatn soundtracks - far happier to hear Tim Buckley's 5 octave vocal range than hear Popeye Doyle's car chase in French Connection.

I have read all the reviews but what I cannot determine is whether the Apex which I can just about afford (and Mrs Lugs finds far more aesthetically pleasing) is worth the extra over the MT30s in the name of sonic dynamism. As I said it's more important that my CD collection/IPod sounds great rather than film soundtracks and dialogue.

I understand that I am treading on ground which is very individualistic and personal but any owners of any of the kit above are especially welcome to comment or proffer another package.

Thanks and best regards

Lugs11

dazgwinn

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lugs
I luvvvvvv my MT-30
I luvvvvvvvvv the PV-1
That sub is super. I spent some time setting it up but boy does it belt it out tight and responsive.
The sats are lovely and really sing but once they are blended together you can see why they have five star winners for years.
For me, this system has never disappointed and ive had tonnes of pleasure.
Of course others will say that for music spend this and that but i really feel this system comes up trumps for me.
Have fun dazgwinn

michael hoy

Hi,

I only listened to the MT30 package at a show, so not the best environment and found the system lacking something but was not sure at the time what was missing.

I demoed the Apex at a dealer and purchased a 5.1 set up two days later, I think the missing factor on the MT30's were the centre channel, the Apex gives a very clear dialogue for my listening purposes.

The Apex Sats are very good as well, I have just changed my amp recently, and need to put some more tweaking time in.

If you can afford the extra then the Apex will not disappoint, my only concern is the output of the Arcam to drive these speakers as they should be driven.

Please demo both makes if at all possible.

A

Anonymous

The M1's and PV1 certainly are a good package, but I would expect the MA Apex package to be a step above musically, I recently demoed these and they sounded awesome, if the centre speaker was not so expensive I would have gone for these and not the MA Radius 250HD's I now have.

Lugs11:
Hello all.

Just about to break virginity to surround sound sytem as in throes of updating my Arcam Solo to Arcam Movie 5.1. Up until now I wired my 42" Plasma through my Solo to my Altos.

Now to make use of the 5 x 50w amps I could use the Arcam Muso but having demoed the B&W MT30 I think latter has the edge. My problem is that musicality is far more important to me thatn soundtracks - far happier to hear Tim Buckley's 5 octave vocal range than hear Popeye Doyle's car chase in French Connection.

I have read all the reviews but what I cannot determine is whether the Apex which I can just about afford (and Mrs Lugs finds far more aesthetically pleasing) is worth the extra over the MT30s in the name of sonic dynamism. As I said it's more important that my CD collection/IPod sounds great rather than film soundtracks and dialogue.

I understand that I am treading on ground which is very individualistic and personal but any owners of any of the kit above are especially welcome to comment or proffer another package.

Thanks and best regards

Lugs11

Hi Lugs11

I would recommend Monitor Audio's new Apex speakers as i feel these are now the finest overall sub/sat speaker available (amongst the UK manufacturers anyway). The Apex's styling, build, fit/finish, technology and performance is simply a class act and fully justifies the extra premium.

The Solo movie will also be a good tonal match with the Apex's and their transparency, dynamic and coherent presentation works a treat with music and movie soundtracks.

Having said this and good though the Solo movie is i don't feel it can ultimately get the best from the Apex's as they can benefit from even better quality of power and performance from an amplifier. I would suggest you also consider the Radius HD Series.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I demod MT-30 for music and films, and while it was OK it seemed to struggle at the high frequencies. All round the Tannoy Arena was better for music and detail.

Lots of people swear by the MT-30 but for me it's not a high-end option for sub / sat.

Tannoy Arena might do you if you can still find it and like the look, and it might be worth looking out for the highline 300 or 500 which may now be at good prices and more likely to give the APex a run for its money than the MT-30.

spinaltap

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
When I first purchased a home cinema system I too contemplated an MT-30 package. I first heard this (with 2x PV-1's) fed by an Arcam Solo 5.1 at an audio exhibition at the NEC, and I was impressed by its ability to be easily heard in the next hall.

However, when I properly auditioned the MT-30 at my local dealer (with a Meridian G95) I soon discovered the musical limitations of the M1's when playing certain vocals (like the Eagles) that became too recessed. However, I was still impressed - and still am - with the PV-1.

On special offer at the time were Mission Elegante E81's, E82's and E8c, which, partnered with the Elegante's, are are much better for music and movies.

A

Anonymous

Cheers dazgwinn,

I demo'd the MT30 again yesterday playing a couple of tracks from Astral Weeks, again it sounded a planet unreachable compared to my current pair of Altos but then aagain the HiFi boffin in the shop said any 5.1 system would blow away a 2.1.

I then listened to the Apex and whilst it was a little more detailed, rich and warm sound than the MT30 system I doubt whether it's a grand better in fact I doubt whether it's £250 better. However, as you probably are aware us lads like an easy life and Lady Lugs just didn't like the shape of the PV-1, so rather than argue the toss for life in perpetuity I ordered the Apex.

The other thing that swayed me (apart from 'don't buy it' said a million times) is that the MT30 is a 5 year old piece of kit and the Apex only a year, so there's a strong possibility of B & W developing a new MT30 - maybe MT35, who knows in next year and I'll be kicking myself for not waiting.

Will let you know what it's like when I get it all set up.

Thanks & best regards Dag

Lugs

A

Anonymous

Michael,

Many thanks for your comments on the MT30 v Apex.

Yesterday I demo'd both at my local HiFi dealer (Lintone, Gatehead) with Van Morrison's Astral Weeks which provides a lot of different musical tones, textures, ranges and crescendoes.

I liked the MT30 but as the salesman said any reasonable 5.1 system will always sound better than a 2.1. I then listened to the Apex and it made the MT30 sound boxy, whereashe Apex was clean, detailed and meaty. So I ordered the latter.

In terms of the Arcam 5.1 I can see myself in a year or so trading it in against a very good amp/receiver and a very good Blu-Ray Player - which is what I really should have done in the first instance. Never mind, one can only learn from one's mistakes...

Anyway Michael, thanks very much for helping me make mt mind up, much appreciated.

Thanks and best regards

Luggs

A

Anonymous

Dear Mark,

Thanks for you help on the MT30 v Apex conundrum.

Demo'd both yesterday and Apex won outright plus MT30s were new 5 years ago so bound to be replaced soon. Only regret is that I didn't buy very good separate DAB receiver and blue-ray player instead of Arcam Movie 5.1 - we live and learn eh?

Thanks again.

Lugs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts